PDA

View Full Version : Gigabet Hand. I just don't know.

Jman28
11-18-2005, 08:31 AM
Here goes a long thread prolly.

This is Gig's play from a $22 Pokerstars short handed MTT.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t1600 (3 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Button (t66901)
Gigabet (t53315)
BB (t35929)

Preflop: Gigabet is SB with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t3200</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Gigabet raises to t8000</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t4800.

Flop: (t16075) 5/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Gigabet checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t3200</font>, Gigabet calls t3200.

Turn: (t22475) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Gigabet checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t20800</font>, Gigabet calls t20800.

River: (t64075) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Gigabet bets t21240 (All-In)</font>, Button folds.

Final Pot: t85315

bluesbassman
11-18-2005, 08:57 AM
Does Gigabet really play $22 tournaments?! (Are you sure the hand is the real Gigabet?) And why didn't you post this in the MTT forum... or did you mean that the hand is from an STT?

Gigabet
11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
It is my hand, I do last longers with various people, and the stars mtts are the perfect venue. Not to mention the practice.

Jman28
11-18-2005, 09:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Does Gigabet really play $22 tournaments?! (Are you sure the hand is the real Gigabet?) And why didn't you post this in the MTT forum... or did you mean that the hand is from an STT?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really him. I guess this belongs in MTT, but I always post here. Oh well.

11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
I think this is a pretty straightforward play. Down to the final 3? The villain has to be on a wide range of hands, but let's analyze. He is most likely pushing AK, AQ, down to small pocket pairs at this stage. Since he didn't do that, we will assume he has a marginal hand. At 3 handed it could be virtually anything. Gigabet's holding is relatively meaningless here. So thinking about the play backwards and from the villain's point of view, he got trapped. Busted flush draw maybe? A-J or lower that just isn't callable to an all in bet. I may be underanalyzing this play, but nothing shocking really stands out.

gumpzilla
11-18-2005, 10:03 AM
This is obviously a pretty difficult hand to discuss without some sense for how button has been playing. If he runs bluffs a lot when checked to, which seems like you can expect it reasonably often in a shorthanded tournament, then I think this is a pretty good course of action. Button not 4-betting PF might also be meaningful, inasmuch as he might do so when he has a quality holding. All this is speculation, but I don't really see a sensible way to analyze this without that kind of information, so I'll just guess. I've definitely seen a surprisingly large number of people that can make that fold on the end, but of course he was probably behind. So why not let him bet again? The 3rd barrel is pretty hard to fire, so maybe he's not going to do it.

wiggs73
11-18-2005, 10:04 AM
i think the reason that jman posted this (and what stands out) is that villain has half his stack in the pot and is getting 4:1 for a river call.

i'm sure that by the time it was down to 3 handed, gigabet had strong reads on the 2 opponents though. i don't think you'd see him trying this without one, so i doubt that we'll fully understand why he did it since we obv. can't get the same reads just from looking at the hand history.

Jman28
11-18-2005, 10:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

i think the reason that jman posted this (and what stands out) is that villain has half his stack in the pot and is getting 4:1 for a river call.

[/ QUOTE ]

5:1, but yeah. I don't know how reasonable it is to assume that the villain will fold any hand that beats Gigabet's hand with those odds and that flop. If Gig believe's he's ahead, I prefer a check/call. Edit: Or a turn check raise.

11-18-2005, 10:37 AM
I have notes on some opponents that say "seems to completely ignore pot odds" and on others "folds too often when put all in". On some opponents, I have both these notes, and I make this play.

UMTerp
11-18-2005, 10:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It is my hand, I do last longers with various people, and the stars mtts are the perfect venue. Not to mention the practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Giga, If you don't mind me asking, are the last longers for more money than all but the top plazes in these prize pools? Does that mean final tabling in the tournament is of secondary concern to you if your opponents' (in the last longer) chip stacks dictate it?

11-18-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

5:1, but yeah. I don't know how reasonable it is to assume that the villain will fold any hand that beats Gigabet's hand with those odds and that flop. If Gig believe's he's ahead, I prefer a check/call. Edit: Or a turn check raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily think Giga thinks he is ahead here, thus the bet. He has somewhat represented a trapping hand, and if the opponent only has a marginal hand, he probably isn't risking his tourney life (he would have very few chips left), regardless of the odds he's getting. So if Giga checks, and his opponent goes all in, does Giga call? I think no.

Jman28
11-18-2005, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't necessarily think Giga thinks he is ahead here, thus the bet. He has somewhat represented a trapping hand, and if the opponent only has a marginal hand, he probably isn't risking his tourney life (he would have very few chips left), regardless of the odds he's getting. So if Giga checks, and his opponent goes all in, does Giga call? I think no.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying that Giga called the turn bet believing he was behind?

Not disagreeing, just wondering.

jccookjr
11-18-2005, 10:59 AM
I thought you never showed your cards.

Jman28
11-18-2005, 11:15 AM
Here's the only way I can understand it:

On the turn, Gigabet puts the villain on overcards. He calls and pushes the river because he believes AT folds to his push and that villain has AT+ enough that it is worthwhile to take the whole pot in those cases and sacrifice making 20k more chips the times villain pushes with a bluff.

11-18-2005, 11:16 AM
So you're saying that Giga called the turn bet believing he was behind?

Not disagreeing, just wondering.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not necessarily. I believe he called the turn bet knowing he was moving all in on the river. Whether he thought he was behind or not is somewhat irrelevant. What matters is if he thought the villain would call with Ace high. And now that I keep thinking about it, Gigabet could very easily be ahead. Put yourself in the villain's shoes, and play the hand back. What range of hands do you call that all in bet with? As stated before, he doesnt have a pair, not AK or AQ most likely. No draw hit, and his bets on the flop/turn didn't scare Giga, plus Giga reraised him preflop. Giga has shown subtle strength in his betting pattern.

bones
11-18-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
On the turn, Gigabet puts the villain on overcards. He calls and pushes the river because he believes AT folds to his push and that villain has AT+ enough that it is worthwhile to take the whole pot in those cases and sacrifice making 20k more chips the times villain pushes with a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without knowing any table dynamics or reads that gig has on villian and gigs read on villians read on gig, I'd probably think that the large turn overbet made him put him on overs. But Gigabet probably figured that it would be much easier to move him off of his hand on the river with no cards to come, especially if a scare card came.

I'd be interested in the action if an ace fell on the river.