PDA

View Full Version : Limit Tournament Strategy

CMangano
06-27-2003, 06:48 PM
I ordered TPFAP but I don't expect to get it for at least another week. In the meantime, I play a weekly tournament online and wanted some input on the best approach for the type of tournament. It is a $1 buy-in limit hold'em tournament. The 18th place finisher is the last person to finish in the money. The top 5 spots make considerably more than the other 13. There are usually close to 800 people who participate (max is 800). Everyone starts with 800 in chips, and the blinds double every 15 minutes starting at 15/30. Usually the tournament is down to about 200 people after the first hour. There is never an ante.

Given this format, and knowing that the goal is to finish in the top 5 (at least the top 18), what is the best strategy for early in the tournament? Would it be best to play a little looser in a win or go bust attempt, given the small buy-in? Or is a tighter survival approach better? Or something in between?

If there is more information that is needed, let me know and I will do my best.

Thanks.

Justaloser
06-27-2003, 08:57 PM
This sounds like Party.

If so, you'll see lots of people busting out quickly. My suggestion would be to play tight, but very aggressive.

You can't just wait til all the dead money is gone. By then you'll be too short stacked vs. the other good players to make a move. You're goal is to get as many chips while they're giving them away, and hold onto them when the "real" tourney starts (200 left).