PDA

View Full Version : PS 200+15 strategy for a first timer

MikeSmith
11-18-2005, 04:38 AM
I won a satellite to the 200+15 NL Hold em tourney on sunday at pokerstars and have never played it before. Anyone have any advice for me.

TwistedEcho
11-18-2005, 04:41 AM
play tight, raise your good hands. Lots of the starting field sucks. Don't be scared because its lots of money so wuss out with AK (ie. calling where u should be raising etc). Most importantly, have fun

ZeeJustin
11-18-2005, 04:46 AM
Take the $W. It sounds liek $215 is a lot of money to you.

A_Junglen
11-18-2005, 07:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, unreg and take the $T. Play in 4 $50-5 MTTs or something if you still want a shot at good money.

PhillyEdB
11-18-2005, 08:38 AM
Congrats! The 3r's are soft and a good way to help build your b/r through $T's. Unless you have over $x,xxx you should unregester. Use that money in sng's or lower buyin's. Have you played the $20 180 mans yet?

If your br is ok take a hot and play smart. In the begining it will be soft because alot of people qualify with small buyins and just taking a shot.

Good Luck!

betgo
11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Taking the T$s isn't a bad idea. You can use them for any PS MTT, satellite, or SNG.

It is probably good to play in these big tournaments at some point. Maybe you will win an entry on another site that doesn't let you withdraw.

You will learn from the early play, which is a lot tighter than low buyin.

Tournaments like this are not that difficult and you may do better than you expect. There will be a lot of strong players and pros, but there are also a lot of low buyin fish from the satellites and attracted by the big prize pool.

I would just remember the action is tighter earlier and adjust accordingly. Early on, you can win big pots with big hands against fish who will overplay, as in low buyin.

Later, I would play more aggressively in the pots I am in. It is easier to steal a pot. Also, you want to charge people a decent price to chase your top pair or whatever. People won't call 1/2 pot bet with nothing, so don'ttry to milk to underbetting.

Poker Jon
11-18-2005, 12:50 PM
Play it. Play It Play It.

If you unreg and use for smaller buy in's, you will think you are playing in a $20 or $30 for 'free' and consequently won't play them as seriously as you would the $200.

Get the experience by playing in a bigger comp. Its not 'that hard' to make the money.

Jon

MikeSmith
11-18-2005, 12:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be perfectly honest im up like 2000(i know thats like 1 hand for you justin lol) in the last couple of weeks and i really am willing to lose this. I have hit a lot of FT's lately so i wanna take my shot at the big one. I was just posting to see if there is anything to different to expect from the norm. Sounds about the same but add in a few more tough players than im used to. This buy in has little value to me actually b/c i only put in like 20 bucks anyways, i will just treat it like any other tourney.

MikeSmith
11-18-2005, 12:55 PM
i have 2 4ths and a 5th in my last 3 180 tables, i love them!

billyjex
11-18-2005, 12:57 PM
if you play the 215, make sure to flop sets and win coinflips.

A_Junglen
11-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Ok..then play it. We had to make a lot of assumptions, but if your running well go for it

ClaytonN
11-18-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if you play the 215, make sure to flop sets and win coinflips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to think this was FOS, but then I took classes on hitting sets and winning coinflips, and BOY does it make a difference in my game.

Firefly
11-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Play the 215, but it's a freaking crapshoot.

prayformojo
11-18-2005, 01:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To be perfectly honest im up like 2000(i know thats like 1 hand for you justin lol) in the last couple of weeks and i really am willing to lose this. I have hit a lot of FT's lately so i wanna take my shot at the big one.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much why I play the $215 when I play it. I grind out 5/10 SH limit, with some SnG and MTT action thrown in. When I've done well, I cash out but leave myself a bit of poker fun money. I don't think of this as part of my bankroll, because I have neither the total bankroll nor the inclination, nor perhaps the skill, to play $200 or higher MTTs on a regular basis with a real expectation of profit. It's just using some of my winnings to have a good time playing poker. If I'm lucky I'll learn something. If I'm very lucky I'll score some cash. With 9 tourneys under my belt, I've been "very lucky" once for a net profit of just over $50.00.