PDA

View Full Version : NJ Whisk(e)y Tasting RSVP Thread

edtost
11-18-2005, 04:29 AM
To be held on fri, dec 2 at an after-dinner-ish hour in either princeton or new brunswick (i.e. somewhere in the "long ass train from penn station" zone). To include whisk(e)ys including but not limited to scotch and bourbon.

Anyway, if you are planning on attending, please RSVP in this thread with what you plan on bringing, so we can get a good assortment. All farther announcements will be made in this thread. I will get a reply in with whatever I buy the next time I'm near a liquor store.

The only rule is that anyone can come, but everyone who comes must bring a bottle. There's no need to go crazy and spend a lot of cash, and I trust that no one here will try to completely screw us over by bringing somehthing really [censored].

edit: also, suggestions on bottles to try from those not attending would be greatly appreciated.

Evan
11-18-2005, 04:37 AM
I will come. Bottle yet undecided because I don't know anything about scotch, but diablo says he'll hook me up with a good rec once people pick what they're bringing.

tonypaladino
11-18-2005, 05:52 AM
I'm in as long as I can get there from the city. Does NJ transit run down there?

I also need suggestions on what to bring. My scotch experience is limited to Dewars and Chivas Regal.

Luv2DriveTT
11-18-2005, 08:14 AM
I am there, bottle of obscurity in hand.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

samjjones
11-18-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm in as long as I can get there from the city. Does NJ transit run down there?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. Northeast Corridor train from NY Penn to either New Brunswick or Princeton Junction.

sfer
11-18-2005, 10:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
To be held on fri, dec 2 at an after-dinner-ish hour in either princeton or new brunswick (i.e. somewhere in the "long ass train from penn station" zone).

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG gay.

stoxtrader
11-18-2005, 01:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To be held on fri, dec 2 at an after-dinner-ish hour in either princeton or new brunswick (i.e. somewhere in the "long ass train from penn station" zone).

[/ QUOTE ]

how did princeton win over NYC as a location?
OMG gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

turnipmonster
11-18-2005, 01:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

OMG gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

IndieMatty
11-18-2005, 01:09 PM
A New Jersey 2+2 get together is just plain weird.

edtost
11-18-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

how did princeton win over NYC as a location?
OMG gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

um, because no one else volunteered to host or gave any ideas for somewhere specific to have it?

Vish
11-18-2005, 08:39 PM
I'll bring 2/3 of a bottle of Balvenie 15 and a third of a bottle of Te Bheag.

daryn
11-18-2005, 08:41 PM
please pick a spelling. whisky, or whiskey. whisk(e)y is unacceptable

miajag81
11-18-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scotch is "whisky," american stuff is "whiskey." both apply to this thread.

daryn
11-18-2005, 08:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

whiskey (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=whiskey&db=*)

edtost
11-18-2005, 10:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"The spelling whisky (plural whiskies) is generally used for those distilled in Scotland, Canada, and Japan, while whiskey (with an e; plural whiskeys) is used for the spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States; however, there are exceptions. Kentucky, for example, usually spells its produce "whisky"."

wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey)

Ulysses
11-18-2005, 10:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong on this one, d. Given the nature of this event, whisk(e)y is quite appropriate.

daryn
11-19-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"The spelling whisky (plural whiskies) is generally used for those distilled in Scotland, Canada, and Japan, while whiskey (with an e; plural whiskeys) is used for the spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States; however, there are exceptions. Kentucky, for example, usually spells its produce "whisky"."

[/ QUOTE ]

i admit defeat. surely i am no whiskey or whisky expert. dictionary.com you have let me down!

edtost
11-28-2005, 03:17 PM
ok, here's the deal. this friday night at kdawg's place in new brunswick, which is apparently a short walk from the train station for easy access from nyc. i just picked up a bottle of oban 14 to bring along, hopefully kdawg will reply with a time and get us directions somehow.

daryn
11-28-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i admit defeat. surely i am no whiskey or whisky expert. dictionary.com you have let me down!

[/ QUOTE ]

just coming back to this..

i was in the liquor store recently and picked up some maker's mark. i'm pretty certain the bottle said whisky, even though the stuff is from tennessee. what gives?

Ulysses
11-28-2005, 04:41 PM
Maker's Mark is Kentucky Bourbon.

daryn
11-28-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maker's Mark is Kentucky Bourbon.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops. kentucky.

http://www.spirituosenworld.de/produkte/bourbon/details/makers_mark_gr.jpg

what's the deal?

is bourbon not whisky, or whiskey?

MonkeeMan
11-28-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i was in the liquor store recently and picked up some maker's mark. i'm pretty certain the bottle said whisky, even though the stuff is from tennessee. what gives?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tennessee can't spare an "e".

Eurotrash
11-28-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

"The spelling whisky (plural whiskies) is generally used for those distilled in Scotland, Canada, and Japan, while whiskey (with an e; plural whiskeys) is used for the spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States; however, there are exceptions. Kentucky, for example, usually spells its produce "whisky"]."

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

just coming back to this..

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn, if you check out one of the things you quoted (I bolded it), it actually mentions this

daryn
11-28-2005, 04:50 PM
alright! closure!!

http://simpsonovi.comics.cz/Futurama/Bender.gif

tonypaladino
11-28-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm in if someone can tell me what to buy. Just any nice single malt???

Anyone going from nyc wanna meet up at penn station?

samjjones
11-28-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on, Tony...you can show up with a stick of Land O' Lakes, and OOTers will properly recognize.

sfer
11-28-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Friday night, you will be leaving NYC and arriving in NJ...

edtost
11-28-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just any nice single malt???

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, pretty much. i don't know enough to give a good rec, but apparently el d is gonna help evan pick something out, so you might want to talk to him too.

Ulysses
11-28-2005, 06:26 PM
If you post a list of people and what they are bringing, I'm happy to suggest stuff for Tony/Evan to bring that would be good for the mix. holla, roflbbq11!!

edtost
11-28-2005, 06:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you post a list of people and what they are bringing, I'm happy to suggest stuff for Tony/Evan to bring that would be good for the mix. holla, roflbbq11!!

[/ QUOTE ]

as it stands now:

definites:
me: Oban 14
vish: "I'll bring 2/3 of a bottle of Balvenie 15 and a third of a bottle of Te Bheag."
TT: "I am there, bottle of obscurity in hand." wtf be more specific so others can plan around you.
evan/KDawg: ?

possibles:
MaxPower: one of "some Bowmore, Talisker, Arbeg 10-year old (which is my favorite), Macallan, a few others."
Flushed, Josh., Brain, peterchi, ozyman, turnipmonster

start filling this in people.

Ulysses
11-28-2005, 08:22 PM
Evan: Balvenie 12yo Doublewood.
Tony: Macallan 12yo

Both of these are $35-40 bottles.

Edited to add... HOLLA!

Wayfare
11-28-2005, 08:36 PM
Lagavulin 16yo

Damn you ed for not doing this while I was around

Since eld forgot, holla!

KDawgCometh
11-28-2005, 11:58 PM
well, what time is cool for everyone. Those that are coming should PM me and I will give directions to my place. I'm on Hardenbergh st between Somerset and hamilton. Since people will be coming from different directions, I'll just give the directions to each person. Basically anytime after 5 or 6 is cool for me

KDawgCometh
11-29-2005, 12:01 AM
I'll know for sure either tommorrow or wednesday as I'm at my mom's house in chicago right now, I'm getting back tommorrow afternoon. I'm planning on getting a glenlivet most likely(not sure of which age to get)

ActionBob
11-29-2005, 12:16 AM
I'd definitely like to come. I'll need a suggestion of what to bring. I've never been a scotch drinker but this sure seems like the time to start.

-ActionBob

Evan
11-29-2005, 12:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd definitely like to come. I'll need a suggestion of what to bring. I've never been a scotch drinker but this sure seems like the time to start.

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]
Id PM Diablo.

AceHigh
11-29-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what's the deal?

is bourbon not whisky, or whiskey?

[/ QUOTE ]

Bourbon is whiskey from Kentucky. Scotch is whiskey from Scottland.

sfer
11-29-2005, 12:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems like you should buy it blind...

Voltron87
11-29-2005, 01:08 AM
so, uh, what's 2p2's policy on the drinking age?

KDawgCometh
11-29-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe in turning a blind eye /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Voltron87
11-29-2005, 01:35 AM
Until yesterday I thought I had a commitment friday night, turns out I don't, I'd be up for coming to this if there is space. I don't know much about whiskey at all, I've only tried it 2-3 times, but this appeals to me. Someone would have to suggest to me what to bring, otherwise I'd get something useless.

edtost
11-29-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
well, what time is cool for everyone. Those that are coming should PM me and I will give directions to my place. I'm on Hardenbergh st between Somerset and hamilton. Since people will be coming from different directions, I'll just give the directions to each person. Basically anytime after 5 or 6 is cool for me

[/ QUOTE ]

looking at train schedules coming from both directions, they line up on the hour. i'm thinking 7:30 or 8:30 would work; i would prefer 7:30, but does anyone else have a strong preference?

tonypaladino
11-29-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

dude, you can't hold your milk for christ's sake. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

edtost
11-29-2005, 02:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Someone would have to suggest to me what to bring, otherwise I'd get something useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

some suggestions for the crowd:

Glenmorangie 12
Lagauvlin 16
Dalwhinnie 15
Balvenie 10 or 12
Dalmore 12
Laphroaig 10 or 15

Ulysses
11-29-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Someone would have to suggest to me what to bring, otherwise I'd get something useless.

[/ QUOTE ]

some suggestions for the crowd:

Glenmorangie 12
Lagauvlin 16
Dalwhinnie 15
Balvenie 10 or 12
Dalmore 12
Laphroaig 10 or 15

[/ QUOTE ]

If you get the Glenmorangie, get the Port or Sherry Wood Finish. The Glenmorangie without finish will be too similar to other stuff you'll have there.

You won't go wrong w/ any of the above.

Others worth trying:

Bowmore
Bruichladdich
Caol Ila
Compass Box
Glenrothe
Highland Park
Macallan
Springbank
Talisker

A lot of those are pretty easy to find, and most have some pretty reasonably priced bottles. From that group, any bottle you buy will be fine.

diebitter
11-29-2005, 04:49 AM
any of you guys try Glenturret?

any opinion? (I'm a n00b on this, but like this one)

What would you recommend to a n00b like me, that wants to try say 2 different ones for Christmas?

Evan
11-29-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

looking at train schedules coming from both directions, they line up on the hour. i'm thinking 7:30 or 8:30 would work; i would prefer 7:30, but does anyone else have a strong preference?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can pretty much do it whenever. I've got a thing at 6:15ish that I'd like to do, it will take about 15 minutes. I could get to Penn by 7 (maybe earlier) if I went, but that's not really a big deal either way. Here's the schedule from Penn:

<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
05:25 PM - NEC 06:11 PM
05:37 PM - NEC 06:32 PM
05:55 PM - NEC 06:42 PM
06:11 PM - NEC 07:09 PM
06:13 PM - NEC 06:52 PM
06:32 PM - NEC 07:28 PM
06:34 PM - NEC 07:15 PM
06:49 PM - NEC 07:36 PM
07:03 PM - NEC 07:46 PM
07:13 PM - NEC 08:02 PM
07:29 PM - NEC 08:12 PM
07:44 PM - NEC 08:31 PM
08:07 PM - NEC 08:48 PM
08:11 PM - NEC 09:02 PM
08:44 PM - NEC 09:24 PM</pre><hr />

tonypaladino
11-29-2005, 04:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

weird

Evan
11-29-2005, 04:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

weird

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what you get when you go to [censored] Jersey.

ozyman
11-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I am planning on attending. I probably won't be able to get to Penn until 7ish. I will have to review the recommendations list since I am still a Scotch noob.

samjjones
11-29-2005, 10:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

weird

[/ QUOTE ]
The 6:13 is the express. The 6:11 makes more local stops.

LALDAAS
11-29-2005, 10:58 AM
To bad wish I could make it, I live in Springfield which is 20 mins away.

I would like to meet some posters and love whiskey but this is my girls weekend off. I am already in dog house as it is.

peterchi
11-29-2005, 12:46 PM
I'm still on the fence, because I was planning to visit a friend in D.C. on Saturday afternoon, and as I'd be coming up from Baltimore for this, this means a lot of yo-yo driving. I really want to come though, I'll think about it over the next couple days.

Is anyone crashing overnight? Or let me rephrase, KDawg, are you letting people crash overnight? I guess those of you taking the train from NYC wouldn't need to, but are others driving? I don't think I'd want to make the trek home after this.

KDawgCometh
11-29-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Or let me rephrase, KDawg, are you letting people crash overnight?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a couch and a blow up matress that I haven't used since I bought it for a music festival. So, basically, if people need to pass out, its doable

Vish
11-29-2005, 09:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To bad wish I could make it, I live in Springfield which is 20 mins away.

I would like to meet some posters and love whiskey but this is my girls weekend off. I am already in dog house as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kwa-peeeeesh!

In case you couldn't tell, that was me making a "whipped" sound.

KDawgCometh
12-01-2005, 04:31 AM
just want to give this the bump as I've only recieved PMs from a couple of people. If you need directions, please conatact me

Luv2DriveTT
12-01-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
just want to give this the bump as I've only recieved PMs from a couple of people. If you need directions, please conatact me

[/ QUOTE ]

Been too slammed with work to check this thread, I'll get in touch with Evan to coordinate my attendance.

Has anyone put any thought into glass wear?

KDawgCometh
12-01-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Been too slammed with work to check this thread, I'll get in touch with Evan to coordinate my attendance.

Has anyone put any thought into glass wear?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I need to get a few whiskey glasses. I'm going to the liquor store today to pick up a bottle, so hopefully they'll have some there

Luv2DriveTT
12-01-2005, 03:17 PM
dude. standard glassware will not do. You must pimpify.

I will be bringing a few rocks glasses. If anyone prefers a brandy snifter, let me know. I'll bust out the Reidel if I have to, but since its so fragile (and expensive) I'd rather not travel with it.

Voltron87
12-01-2005, 03:18 PM
unfortunately I can't make it. i wish i could though.

Luv2DriveTT
12-01-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TT: "I am there, bottle of obscurity in hand." wtf be more specific so others can plan around you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be bringing Dalwhinnie 15 and something so obscure that I don't even know what it is yet.

Good to see Bob showing up, whats up with the Daver?

PS: I generally don't like Macallen or Laphroaig, they both remind me of paint thinner (although I know most people would disagree).

KDawgCometh
12-01-2005, 03:28 PM
lol, I don't have any whiskey glasses at all right now. I have champange, wine, and pint glasses, but nothing for the scotch

edit: I'm going out right now to pick up a Glenlivet 12 or 15, I'm leaning towards the 15

xadrez
12-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Wine glasses will work in a pinch. See if you can find some snifters at a local thirft shop somewhere close by.

You need glasswear that will concentrate the odor.

edtost
12-01-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
dude. standard glassware will not do. You must pimpify.

I will be bringing a few rocks glasses. If anyone prefers a brandy snifter, let me know. I'll bust out the Reidel if I have to, but since its so fragile (and expensive) I'd rather not travel with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

riedel is unnecessary, but snifters &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; rocks glasses

Luv2DriveTT
12-01-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lol, I don't have any whiskey glasses at all right now. I have champange, wine, and pint glasses, but nothing for the scotch

edit: I'm going out right now to pick up a Glenlivet 12 or 15, I'm leaning towards the 15

[/ QUOTE ]

Glenlivet is good.... very good in fact, but its so..... ordinary (high-end ordinary though). Not that there is anything wrong with that, but you should know just in case you were looking for something more exotic.

Luv2DriveTT
12-01-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wine glasses will work in a pinch. See if you can find some snifters at a local thirft shop somewhere close by.

You need glasswear that will concentrate the odor.

[/ QUOTE ]

There will be no pinching. Too many men.

Ulysses
12-01-2005, 06:05 PM
TT,

I provided a long list of reasonably priced scotches that would be a better choice than Glenlivet. Of course, nothing wrong w/ Glenlivet, but w/ some basic Balvenie and Macallan (which are both similar, but nicer than Glenlivet) in the mix, other choices would be better.

Cheers,
El Diablo

ozyman
12-01-2005, 06:28 PM
All,
At this point I have no idea what I am bringing but I will be reviewing El Diablos list and make an appropiate purchase and post.

Luv2DriveTT
12-01-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
TT,

I provided a long list of reasonably priced scotches that would be a better choice than Glenlivet. Of course, nothing wrong w/ Glenlivet, but w/ some basic Balvenie and Macallan (which are both similar, but nicer than Glenlivet) in the mix, other choices would be better.

Cheers,
El Diablo

[/ QUOTE ]

OK KDAWG. Now you have both El D's opinion, and mine (a former owner of a NYS liquor license who specialized i Scotches and Tequilas). Glenlivit is good, but you can do better for this evening. Of course if you choose to keep the Glen on the program, there is nothing wrong with that.

KDawgCometh
12-01-2005, 06:44 PM
well, I already bought the glenlivet. I got a 12. I just went with what I knew, of course, I may go out and buy another bottle tommorrow for posterity /images/graemlins/grin.gif

edit: well, since I have to buy a couple bottles of wine for my saturday night's activities, I think that I am also gonna buy a bottle of talisker. I've had it before and like it, El D or TT, what would be the recomendation on how old I should get it(I can afford up to about $70-80)

tonypaladino
12-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Assuming one of the 2 liquor stores by my house has Macallan 12yo tomorrow morning, I am bringing that.

Luv2DriveTT
12-01-2005, 07:56 PM
I suggest we all bring a little cheese and crackers as well. A scotch tasting has to be refined. Dean &amp; Delucca here I come...

TT

ActionBob
12-01-2005, 08:16 PM
I just picked up a bottle of Caol Ila 18. See you all tomorrow.

-ActionBob

Ulysses
12-01-2005, 08:23 PM
ActionBob,

That is a really nice choice. Hopefully someone will bring some Lagavulin or Laphroaig to compare the differences between peaty Islay Scotches. I am generally not a huge fan of peaty scotches, but really like the Caol Ila a lot. I believe someone was bringing some Oban, which has a light peaty taste, another nice one to compare.

Someone should make a list of what's being brought so far.

Envious,
El Diablo

Gandor
12-01-2005, 08:27 PM
I just found out my better half is working tomorrow night. I would need directions from the train, but I have a bottle of Aberlour 10 to donate to the cause. Is there a certain train people are trying to catch?

Thanks,
Craig

KDawgCometh
12-01-2005, 08:44 PM
I just wanted to double check on what time this is all shaking down. IIRC, we are supposed to get started between 7 and 8, but I just want to know when everyone is planning on coming

xadrez
12-01-2005, 08:54 PM
With 60 bucks get either the Talisker 18, or the Talisker 12 "Distillers Edition"

Both are excellent.

Luv2DriveTT
12-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Woops... I'm out now. I had a dose of reality, I just can't make it tomorrow due to other priorities. Next tasting in NYC OK?

TT/images/graemlins/club.gif

KDawgCometh
12-01-2005, 09:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Woops... I'm out now. I had a dose of reality, I just can't make it tomorrow due to other priorities. Next tasting in NYC OK?

TT/images/graemlins/club.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

tease

edtost
12-01-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

as it stands now:

vish: "I'll bring 2/3 of a bottle of Balvenie 15 and a third of a bottle of Te Bheag."
Evan: Balvenie 12yo Doublewood(?)
KDawg: Glenlivet 12 + Talisker(?)
ActionBob: Caol Ila 18
Gandor: Aberlour 10

[/ QUOTE ]

updated to include everything posted here.

Ulysses
12-01-2005, 11:25 PM
edtost,

This would be a nice order of tasting:

Te Bheag
Aberlour 10
Glenlivet 12
Macallan 12yo
Balvenie 12yo Doublewood
Balvenie 15
Oban 14
Talisker
Caol Ila 18

Have fun,
El Diablo

tonypaladino
12-01-2005, 11:34 PM
Diablo,

Are you not going to be there? I was under the impression that you were initially.

Ulysses
12-01-2005, 11:42 PM
Tony,

Alas, no.

Regrets,
El Diablo

Voltron87
12-01-2005, 11:50 PM
damn, really I wish I could come, but can't. enjoy.

tonypaladino
12-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Diablo,

Sorry to hear it.

Chris,

I will have a glass of milk in your honor.

TONY

KDawgCometh
12-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Tony, should I have a stick of butter on hand for you /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

tonypaladino
12-02-2005, 12:35 AM
KDawg,

Make sure you have that belt handy, in case someone comes without a bottle.

ActionBob
12-02-2005, 12:44 AM
That sucks Diablo. I was looking forward to meeting up with you.

-ActionBob

tonypaladino
12-02-2005, 06:31 AM
So just to be clear, what time will most people be arriving?

Also, NJ Transit's webpage is all [censored] up and I can't figure out the train schedules. How often are they/how long is the ride.

Thanks
TONY

Gandor
12-02-2005, 11:07 AM
I have the same question. I finish at the office at 6:00 and figured I'd catch the first train down. I do need directions from the train station.

Thanks,

KDawgCometh
12-02-2005, 11:15 AM
they usually run on the half hour, and take about an hour to get to brunswick(and vice versa when I have gone into the city)

KDawgCometh
12-02-2005, 05:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

as it stands now:

Evan: Balvenie 12yo Doublewood(?)
KDawg: Glenlivet 12 + Talisker(?)
ActionBob: Caol Ila 18
Gandor: Aberlour 10

[/ QUOTE ]

updated to include everything posted here.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the liquor store didn't have talisker, so I picked up a Laphroiag instead(10 year). I was able to buy two rocks glasses earlier, so as far as glasswear here is what I have: 4 wine glasses, 2 champange glasses, 2 rocks glasses, and 3 pint glasses. If people have whiskey glasses, I strongly recomend bringing them.

Be sure to PM me soon if you plan on coming. I'm obviously gonna be around, but I'm not sure how often I'm gonna be able to come back here as I'm gonna try to get some playing in(but, since I still have to clean up a bit, this might not happen)

ozyman
12-02-2005, 05:17 PM
All,

I just picked up a bottle of Laphroaig 10. Hopefully, El Diablo will make an updated tasting order. I am hoping to take a 7ish train down, if anyone else is around.

Ulysses
12-02-2005, 05:22 PM
ozyman/KD: Just replace Talisker w/ Laphroaig in the order.

KDawgCometh
12-02-2005, 05:49 PM
cool

Evan
12-02-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

06:49 PM - NEC 07:36 PM
07:03 PM - NEC 07:46 PM
07:13 PM - NEC 08:02 PM

[/ QUOTE ]
I am going to try to make the first one, but I may end up on any of these.

KDawgCometh
12-02-2005, 06:24 PM
evan, do you know how to get to my place, and do you need my phone#?

edtost
12-02-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
evan, do you know how to get to my place, and do you need my phone#?

[/ QUOTE ]

i forwarded evan your directions.

Gandor
12-02-2005, 06:31 PM
I'm leaving B'way &amp; Houston at 5:45 and catching whatever train I can get there after. I figure there will be lines at the ticket machines...

edtost
12-02-2005, 07:48 PM
catching the 7:03 in princeton, which gets in at 7:30.

tonypaladino
12-02-2005, 10:49 PM
We are on the 4th or 5th bottle. Kdawg says they taste like [censored]. I love them. Good scotch.

TO

KDawgCometh
12-03-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We are on the 4th or 5th bottle. Kdawg says they taste like [censored]. I love them. Good scotch.

TO

[/ QUOTE ]

liar, sooo drunk. this was a alot of fun. I did sooo much editing in this post to try to sound semi sober. good times, it was good to see a lot of you again

ActionBob
12-03-2005, 03:14 AM
You stumble in the house, walk in the bedroom and your wife wakes up from a deep sleep and says "You smell like a f***ing drunk!".

-ActionBob

edtost
12-03-2005, 03:22 AM
I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly...

ActionBob
12-03-2005, 03:25 AM
Yeah I'm actually drinking some more as we speak.... damn you guys got me hooked.

-ActionBob

Evan
12-03-2005, 03:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You stumble in the house, walk in the bedroom and your wife wakes up from a deep sleep and says "You smell like a f***ing drunk!".

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha, that's awesome.

ozyman
12-03-2005, 03:49 AM
My favorite line: "This one tastes like a burning log but its kind of good"

KDawgCometh
12-03-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I'm actually drinking some more as we speak.... damn you guys got me hooked.

-ActionBob

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sleeping tonight anywhere near sober tonight. that and the fact that there is a fair amount of scotch that was left at my place. yea me

tonypaladino
12-03-2005, 04:29 AM
Damn it took a log time to get home.

Ed,

WTF, it wasn't snowing!

pokerdirty
12-03-2005, 03:03 PM
c'mon ladies, we need a very very long trip report for those of us that were at their school's team hockey game picking up chicks.

Voltron87
12-03-2005, 03:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
c'mon ladies, we need a very very long trip report for those of us that were at their school's team hockey game picking up chicks.

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh, NYU hockey? lmao

pokerdirty
12-03-2005, 03:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh, NYU hockey? lmao

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't understand.

Voltron87
12-03-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhh, NYU hockey? lmao

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't understand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i think i do. the idea of the NYU hockey team is just funny.

so does this girl really like to do pushups?

edtost
12-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Tony,

Your question will be answered below.

El D,

Thanks for helping with recomendations and ordering. I owe you a drink when you come back to NY.

To whom it may concern:

7:00: It's cold.
7:03: catch connecting train
7:05: It's cold.
7:10: catch train to new brunswick
7:30: It's really cold.
7:40: Get to KDawg's. Open a beer. It's beer. Hooraaaay beer!
7:45: Evan arrives
7:45:01: Short jokes ensue.
8:00: People finish arriving. Look up El D's suggested tasting order.
8:01. mmmmmm Scotch.
8:01:01: Evan bitches about hating scotch
8:05: Kdawg is plastered.
9:00: Pizza arrives
9:01: Pizza mysteriously disappears
9:01:01: mmm scotch. tastebuds beginning to disappear(?)
11:00: more pizza arrives
12:00: cork breaks whist trying to open Laphroig 10.
12:01: 2nd bottle of Laphroig 10 gets opened
12:01:01: no one likes it.
12:10: Evan plays online tiddlywinks with Kdawg's money
12:15: I realize the last train to pton leaves in 20 mins and open the last bottle
12:15:01: I feel ready to throw up because i think i just drank an ashtray. I realize that it was actually bob's sccotch and feel bad.
12:25: Start walking to train station. It feels remarkably less cold outside.
12:38: My train is late.
12:40: It starts snowing. I call Evan to bitch that it's snowing.
12:41: The snow stops. Nothing stuck to the ground.
12:42: Get on train and somehow make it home without passing out and winding up in trenton.

It was great seeing/meeting all of you. Special thanks go to:
Kdawg, for hosting and buying pizza.
Tony, for buying more pizza and bringing glasses.
Vish, for bringing 3 bottles.
Evan, for coming an hour into Jersey for an event dedicated to a drink he hates.

My favorites from the night were the Balvenie 12 doublewood, Oban 14, and that bourbon Vish brought. Upon farther reflection, the Caol Ila 18 would likely have been really awesome if there were cigars involved.

Best,
Ed

KDawgCometh
12-03-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

8:05: Kdawg is plastered.

[/ QUOTE ]

what ed is leaving out is that I had already had like 4 or 5 beers before we started drinking the scotch(two of which were pints)

my walk back from the train station was fun. I very surpised with all of the cops that were out that I didn't get a public drunkeness ticket.

Ed gave a good summery. I was too drunk to notice much of anything after about 10. I don't remember when vish left and I don't remember ed leaving. I'd also like to thank everyone for coming, I had a great time

Gandor
12-03-2005, 05:31 PM
It was a great night. I agree with Evan, I'm still not a scotch drinker. However, just meeting everyone I hadn't before and hanging out made the trip down more than worth it.

I must say, there is nothing like taking a drink and feeling like you are chowing down on what's left the next morning in the fireplace.

I woke up this morning, "mouth dry, dehydrated, need water, too tired to get up." Gandor squints at clock... "Girldfriend be home from work soon, let her get water." zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

tonypaladino
12-03-2005, 06:59 PM
The smokey scotchs weren't too bad. It was just unexpected. I think my first reaction was "It's like drinking a brisket"

I did learn something though-- Jersey Pizza can actually taste good when you've had enough booze.

Luv2DriveTT
12-03-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
12:01: 2nd bottle of Laphroig 10 gets opened
12:01:01: no one likes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Laphroig and Macallan remind me of paint thinner, its not my speed. Ed's favorites were right on point, I'm impressed! Which bottle was the "log on fire"?

Bob - sounds like you took that big step towards manhood yesterday. Happy to see you popped your cherry!

Brain
12-03-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

possibles:
MaxPower: one of "some Bowmore, Talisker, Arbeg 10-year old (which is my favorite), Macallan, a few others."
Flushed, Josh., Brain, peterchi, ozyman, turnipmonster

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell did I miss this thread this week? I know I wasn't online much, but still! Sounds like there was a good time had by all. I'll have to catch the next one.

ozyman
12-03-2005, 09:45 PM
TT,

I think the log on fire was the Caol Ila 18. It was ActionBob who made the comment and also who brought the Caol Ila.
I actualy enjoyed the peaty ones more than I thought I would since they were so different from the other ones. There was talk of doing another similar event in NYC with Wine/Cheese or Port/Chocolate so that is something to look forward to.

edtost
12-03-2005, 09:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree. Laphroig and Macallan remind me of paint thinner, its not my speed. Ed's favorites were right on point, I'm impressed! Which bottle was the "log on fire"?

[/ QUOTE ]

My guess is the "log on fire" was probably the caol ila, which was very smokey. Also, IIRC, most of us noticed a significant 'after-kick' from the macallan that we weren't huge fans of.

EDIT: Also, does anyone remember the name of the bourbon Vish brought? It was really really good.

Vish
12-06-2005, 11:08 AM
Ed,

That bourbon was Blanton's. Runs about $50 a bottle. Good stuff.