PDA

View Full Version : RAM: Can only get 2GB to be recognized

Freakin
11-18-2005, 03:27 AM
I'm somewhat unfamiliar with anything since PC133 or so, so I don't really know if this configuration even works.

I've got an A8N-Sli Asus board. I had 2x512 corsair Twinx dual channel (PC3200). It was working fine. I had this in the first and second slot. I think this means it was not running in dual channel.

The slots are basically set up like this

Blue/Black/Blue/Black. I don't remember exactly what they are identified by, but the blue slots are for a matched pair and the black slots are for a matched pair.

I bought an additional 2x1024 of the exact same memory. I realized that I should probably have matched sets in the slots, so I put 2x1024 in blue slots and 2x512 in black slots. It only recognized 2GB of memory. I tried switching it. It only recognized 1GB. I attempted to put the matched sets in the first blue and black slots and I don't remember the outcome (this was a little while ago. It definitely wasn't 3GB).

It didn't seem like there should be any reason why I couldn't have 2 matched sets of different sizes, but I wasn't sure.

Any other reasons why this wouldn't work (and would display the behavior I saw)? It's somewhat frustrating to have 1GB of perfectly good memory sitting on my desk waiting to be used.

I appreciate any help.

Freakin

11-18-2005, 04:19 AM
I'd just check out the motherboard manual, or possibly the tech specs on the website. Every motherboard has it's peculiarities.

TheTROLL
11-18-2005, 04:54 AM
You need to edit the c:\boot.ini file to enable use of >2GB. See this article (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx).

Freakin
11-18-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You need to edit the c:\boot.ini file to enable use of >2GB. See this article (http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx).

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not recognized by the BIOS. Sorry, I should have been more clear (though this issue will probably come up too).