PDA

View Full Version : NL flushdraw question

Peter
06-27-2003, 05:18 PM
I haven't played no limit a lot, I only play some freeroll tourneys, so I have not much experience and this will probably a beginners question.

Blinds are 50/100 and I get A /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 10 /forums/images/icons/spade.gif in LP.
One limper and I limp as well, SB completes and BB checks.

400 in the pot and flop is: 6 /forums/images/icons/club.gif 2 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif 8 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif .

Checked through.

Turn: 9 /forums/images/icons/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB bets 241 all-in, folded to me. I'm used to calling flushdraws in limit holdem, so I almost called, but I considered pot odds (yay, I think that's a first time). I get less than 3-1, so I fold.

Is this correct?

What if the flop had three diamonds and I had to call a 241 flop bet with a 400 pot. That's a fold as well, right? Especially since better was all-in so I didn't have implied odds.

Peter

cferejohn
06-27-2003, 06:39 PM
A couple things:

*You don't say how big your stack is. Would calling the last 241 be crippling to you?

*A diamond may well not be your only out. A 7 gives you a straight and an A or a T give you top pair. I would figure that the flush draw is good for sure and that hitting the straight means probably means you at least tie. BB could have 2 diamonds, but he could also have any 9, a 7 the K of diamonds, or nothing at all.

*Assuming you are on pokerstars, I would guess you have somewhere between 1000 and 3000 in chips at this point. Don't call AT for 100 in this situation. Raise to 400-450 preflop to try and buy the pot with a pretty strong hand, or fold and take your shots elsewhere. Limping once the blinds are this high is the path to a slow grinding death in no-limit tournaments. If you are going to play a pot in which no one has shown strength, give yourself a chance to buy the blinds.