PDA

View Full Version : Tiger - Already an All-Time Great

04-15-2002, 03:49 AM
What this man is doing is truly a joy to watch. What he has accomplished against the deepest and most talented fields of all time is simply amazing. If he never played another round, he's already among the top 5 golfers of all time, and the dude is only 26.

Sit back and enjoy the ride folks, you might just be watching one of the most dominant athletes of all time, and he hasn't even hit his prime.

04-15-2002, 06:16 AM
. . . I bet he could be one of the best card players, too, with his nerves. . .

04-15-2002, 01:21 PM
No question about it, he is so focused on Jack's major's record that it's scary.. I'll bet he gets it by 33..

04-15-2002, 02:55 PM
Yea, and take a look at his girlfriend!

04-15-2002, 06:59 PM
Yawner of a final round after about the third hole. You just knew that Tiger was simply not going to make any mistakes. But who would have thought that Els and Singh would self-destruct as dramatically as they did... on 13th and 15th to boot which are about the easiest holes on the back nine...

04-16-2002, 12:52 PM
Man, she looked downright demure in the photos I'd seen of her in SI & USA Today. Whatta megaton superbabe....

04-16-2002, 01:18 PM
Tiger's so far ahead of the pack, it's scary. Just look at the numerical gap btwn him and whatever poor slob has been unfortunate enough to be #2 in the last three years.

The only argument in Jack's favor is that, while the fields weren't as deep, the top players were better than now. Can you imagine Watson or Trevino coming to the first tee Sunday at a major, tied for the lead, then promptly lying down like my boy Goosen did?

If Billy Casper or Gary Player had been in Mickelson or Garcia's position Sunday morning at the US Open last year, they'd've won by four shots. Arnie? Fuhgeddaboutit. If Tiger's going for the Grand Slam at Hazeltine in August, he'll win by 25 shots. No one else will wanna deal w/the pressure of being in final round contention, headup w/Da Man, unless it's some oneoff unknown, like Bob May.

Tiger's got 'em all neutered, gelded, & castrated, esp. now that he's got the Nordic goddess strolling around the course w/him. Can ya 'magine what Singh & Els' wives do when the boys get caught leering? Hey, Sergio, now you know why Hingis is called Chucky.

Eldrick's been "one of the all time greats" since Pebble Beach, 2000. He's the 60's Celtics, Secretariat, Ali, Jordan & Babe Ruth all wrapped into one. It's all over but the shouting for the next ten years. Tiger's true challengers ain't even in high school yet.

Memo to the six dwarves(i.e. those clowns that have been masquerading as the 2-7 ranked golfers in the world): "Whenever it's time for [you] to stand up, [you] look for an excuse to lie down; to back away from struggle." - Rev. Louis Farrakhan -

04-16-2002, 03:33 PM
Tiger is an amazing player, but people truly don't appreciate what it's like to play on Augusta on a Sunday.. Trevino would have gotten his ass kicked all over the course..

Imagine putting in your company's parking lot with a 15 degree slope.. Wait, first you had to stick it in your parking spot from 185..

The #2-7 players aren't chumps... Tiger is that damn good

04-16-2002, 03:55 PM
Trevino didn't play the masters, he thought it was a racist club.

04-16-2002, 03:56 PM
Trevino was never very good at Augusta, partially because of attitude. His game never fit there well. But none of the chasers from last Sunday compare to Trevino. Tiger is better of course, but how many majors have the next several on Sunday's leaderboard won? Goosen-1. Singh-2. Els-2. I mean, Trevino himself has won more majors and Tour events than these guys combined I think. At a US or British Open, who do you pick heads-up in their respective primes - Trevino or these guys? I'll take Trevino every time. Trevino got the better of Nicklaus a couple of times. He had so much control over the golf ball it was sick.

04-16-2002, 03:58 PM
He played a few I think.

04-16-2002, 08:24 PM
I only started following golf say the past 5 years or so (when I began playing it) so I can't really comment on whether Trevino was better than Singh, Mickelson et al are today. But generally speaking, the stars of today are better than the stars of yesteryear in almost every sport.

I mean, the 90's Sampras or Agassi would brutalize the 60's Laver, the 70's Borg or the 80's McEnroe. That's sports: The players get better and better each decade what with all the technological advances in equipment, coaching, training methods etc.

But it's gonna take a helluva long time before someone plays hockey better than Gretzky or Lemieux did in their primes. And, of course, Jordan in B-ball.

04-17-2002, 12:15 AM
Yes, the stars of today are better. But in golf there's more overlap of the eras. Also, some of the old players would benefit from the technological advances too. Trevino competed against Nicklaus, Palmer, Player, Ballesteros, Floyd, Watson, Miller, and a host of other multiple-major winners that are not the very best. (Like Larry Nelson, Payne Stewart, Fuzzy Zoeller, Ben Crenshaw, Greg Norman, Curtis Strange) You can't say a guy who has never won a major (Mickelson) is so much better than this bunch. Vijay is good, but he's not orders of magnitude better than the guys in the '70's and 80's. Yes, the competition is better overall now, but Trevino was better than most of the players now. Remember also that Trevino competed at a high level well into his '40's. I got to see him compete in person down the stretch in a major in 1985, when he was about 45 I think. That field included a lot of the players mentioned above as well as others. The Trevinos of the world can compete in any era.

Also, when we talk about Tiger we compare him to Nicklaus, Hogan, Jones, not Mickelson, Singh, and Goosen. For good reason. Tiger is special, a player apart.

04-17-2002, 12:39 PM
He played it. OF COURSE, he played it. But he doesn't care for the course, nor I imagine the membership.

His famous quote: "If Augusta is a great course, what's Pebble Beach? Super-great?"

04-17-2002, 08:59 PM
The weather and Tiger's physical conditioning won the trnmt. The rain helped Tiger immensly he was having trouble with his putting all year and soft greens and slow Tiger any day. He was having trouble driving the ball but when he knew he was going to get no roll with no wind he could hit it high and let it fly. By Sunday the rest of the players were gasping for air but Tiger was the same thruout the trmt. Playing 26 holes on Sat 8 under par destroyed the field. They had all nite to think of what Tiger did and by the way they played it looked like none of them slept. They were playing tired and their swings showed it.

Tiger did play well and I'm not taking anything away from him. I would of liked to seen dry conditions and fast greens to really test Tiger because he played a boring last round and he knew after three holes that was all he needed.

Paul

04-19-2002, 01:25 AM
Hey guys, I'm not particularly a golf fan, but this thread was fun reading. Thanks!

p.s. I hope someone comes along who can give Tiger a real run for his money sometimes. That would make it all more interesting.