PDA

View Full Version : I made fresh pasta today (trip report)

PoBoy321
11-18-2005, 02:49 AM
...with disastrous results. According to the recipe I got, I was supposed to take the flour, make it into a little bowl, put the egg in there and then mix it. I didn't realize just how strong the walls had to be, so the egg got out and fell all over the floor. So while I'm on my hands and knees trying to clean up the egg, I completely neglect the fact that I have about a half ounce of flour in between my head and a couple of egg yolks.

After they breach the walls and land on my head, I clean up and give it another shot. This time, I added the eggs one at a time and it worked a lot better. I got everything mixed up then added a little water to moisten the dough, but it was too wet, so I added a little flour but it was too dry. Eventually, I got it right and had a nice little ball of dough sitting on my cutting board. I wrapped it up and put it in the fridge for an hour like the recipe said.

So I came back an hour later ready to make some pasta. I wasn't totally sure what I wanted just yet, so I decided I'd make some kind of wide noodles, since I didn't have a pasta cutter and figured they would be the easiest to make. I cut off some of the dough and started to flatten it on my cutting board. I eventually got it to what I thought was thin enough when I started cutting it into little strips. I eventually got a big bowl full of my little pasta dough strips and figured that I was ready to roll.

I put a pot of water on the stove and got it boiling. I put in my little dough strips and sat down to watch some TV while I waited for them to cook.

First of all, I didn't realize how important it is to carefully separate all of the dough since they tend to stick together. I also grossly underestimated just how much fresh pasta swells in boiling water. After 10 or so minutes on the stove, I find a pot full of wet dough on my stove. Of course, I don't have anything else to eat in my apartment, so I'm pretty well stuck.

I drained the pasta, separated what I could and pan fried it with some olive oil, garlic powder, oregano and various other spices (it's my new thing, pan frying pasta, I highly recommend it). I finished the pan-fried pasta, threw it in a bowl and started to eat it.

Another thing you should realize about fresh pasta is that there's a whole lot more of it than you realize, espeially when it's in strips the size of french fries. I got through a half a bowl of my wet, fried dough, felt like I was going to be sick and I didn't have to worry that I didn't have anything to eat because I couldn't have gotten it down anyway.

The End.

Ulysses
11-18-2005, 03:36 AM
This has inspired me to attempt to make some fresh pasta.

PoBoy321
11-18-2005, 03:37 AM
It's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. The problem is getting the hang of it.

handsome
11-18-2005, 03:38 AM
I like how the Iron Chefs make pasta.

MrPokerPants
11-18-2005, 03:44 AM
Sounds like you didn't get your dough thin enough if it was the size of french fries after cooking. Without the use of a pasta machine, I belive making spaghetti(sp?) noodles is the easiest thing to do. Once you have your dough made, stretch it out into a long tube, fold tips together, stretch again. Repeat until you have desired thickness. Use lots of flour to keep them from sticking together, and cut into desired leagth when done. Also, fresh pasta only requires a brief dunk in the water before done.

11-18-2005, 04:04 AM
tips:
work your dough. you need to develope the gluten.
no need to put it in the frigde. wrap it in plastic.
after you roll the dough (thin), it's ok if it dries some. it will be easier to cut.
fresh pasta should not take 10 minutes to cook. It should be done in 3. use your biggest pot, salted water, and water at a vigourus boil.

poincaraux
11-18-2005, 11:02 AM
Do you have a KitchenAid mixer? The pasta-making attachments are awesome. I recomment the combination meat-grinder/pasta-maker in particular.

samjjones
11-18-2005, 11:30 AM
I admire your ambition. I consider myself a pretty good cook, and wouldn't even attempt to make homemade pasta without a mixer and proper pasta rolling attachments. Doing it by hand is sweet.

Lazymeatball
11-18-2005, 11:31 AM
could you elaborate on what these 'walls' are?

samjjones
11-18-2005, 11:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Its like walls of flour. Basically, you build a volcano looking thing out of flower, and put the eggs in the middle. Then, you slowly work the flour into the eggs in order to build a paste/dough.

BoogerFace
11-18-2005, 11:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea is to shape the dry flour to resemble a volcano and pour the liquid into the top.

cdxx
11-18-2005, 12:18 PM
not sure why you cooked it for so long, but fresh pasta only needs to go in for less than 2 minutes depending on the thickness.

PoBoy321
11-18-2005, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

not sure why you cooked it for so long, but fresh pasta only needs to go in for less than 2 minutes depending on the thickness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I know that nooooooooooooooow, but at the time, I thought I'd need to cook it for somewhere near the same amount of time as storebought pasta. Hence, the "disastrous results" part.

11-18-2005, 02:40 PM
A good way for noobs to get their feet wet is by making drop dumplings or maybe spaetzle (though these will work much better with a special tool). Gnocchi is harder, but can also be made without tools.

I wouldn't really consider making noodles without a pasta maker.

11-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Some tasty looking spaetzle photos from flickr (not mine):

Spaetzle 1 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/chocokat718/48089477/)
Spaetzle 2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/allolex/43772550/)

sfer
11-18-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This has inspired me to attempt to make some fresh pasta.

[/ QUOTE ]