PDA

View Full Version : Hachem, First poker player to sign with a major management group.

11-17-2005, 09:35 PM
This is pretty major news, not sure if it should be posted here or the NVG forum but...

From ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/news/story?id=2227654)

Joe Hachem, the 2005 World Series of Poker champion, will now join the ranks of Eminem, Neil Simon and Michelle Wie.

That's because the 39-year-old from Melbourne, Australia, has signed with the William Morris Agency, a 107-year-old management firm that also represents sports stars, musicians, actors and directors.

Photoc
11-17-2005, 10:23 PM
This probably belongs in the News forum, but yeah, it's pretty cool too. I think Matusow said it best...

"He's got the whole world in his hands"

whiskeytown
11-17-2005, 10:41 PM
which is interesting, cause post win I think he's been a lot lower profile then Fossilman and Moneymaker was... I sorta feel like he's another Varkoni - and 5 yrs. from now we'll be forgetting him when we say who won in such and such a year.

But no biggie - seems cool - glad I don't have his fan section giving me guff though..

RB

Photoc
11-17-2005, 11:30 PM
You're a little off on that bud. Raymer and Moneymaker were "low profile" until after the main event finished its first run on tv. Lots of people have the same missconception as you on this one. They discussed it ad naseum in the WPT forum about a month or so ago.

The 2005 Main event just finished and now Hachem is mainstream news.

11-17-2005, 11:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...which is interesting, cause post win I think he's been a lot lower profile then Fossilman and Moneymaker was...

[/ QUOTE ]

You think this has anything to do with the tax problem I thought he said he'd have? And I think I read somewhere that he was considering looking to move his citizenship. Since Fossil and Money were US citizens their plans were somewhat easier.

Photoc
11-18-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You think this has anything to do with the tax problem I thought he said he'd have?

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't know about it so I never considered it. But I doubt it. Now that people know who he is after being on TV, his exposure is going to grow big time. The same thing happed to the past 2 champs as soon as the ME aired.

amulet
11-18-2005, 01:08 AM
many of the big players have representation. phil h was 1st (and has gone throgh a few agencies). phil gordon has an agency (CAA) that reps him for TV, speaking, etc. many others also have major reps. do you want a list.

SossMan
11-18-2005, 01:14 AM
He's not the first (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/poker/columns/story?columnist=rosenbloom_steve&id=2187395)

Hell, even our own Shaefer has an agent.

11-18-2005, 01:31 AM
What part of "major" management group is confusing?

Comparing Phil Hellmuths agent to the William Morris Agency, is like comparing the USC football team to the Idaho Vandals.

Phil Gordon's agent is big time though.

amulet
11-18-2005, 11:25 AM
i think you need to check your facts. the william morris agency (wma) used to be the most powerful. however, for the past 20 plus year creative artist agency (caa) has been by far the most powerful. caa initally represented Phil Hellmuth. let's just say "they parted ways". he then went through several of the big agencies. he is where he (and the agents) are comfortable. phil gordon is represented by caa. the bigger agencies are caa, uta, endeavor, wma, and icm. there are also several respectable smaller agencies and managers.

amulet
11-18-2005, 12:03 PM
for about a year the major agencies, managers, and entertainment.lawyers, have not really been interested in signing poker players. several new television shows centered on poker have not made it on to the air. the speakers divisions of agencies are finding limited ability from most players to live up to what is expected when they are booked. the motion picture divisions have zero interest in these guys. most are getting turned down for representation. hechen "made the rounds" before he was eventually picked up - there was not a lot of interest. people here don't really know what to do with these guys. phil gordon is an exception. the tv dept of caa likes him, and he is very in demand as a speaker (mostly corporations). he comes across affable and knowledge, with a sense of humor. within the motion picture business several pictures centered in the world of poker are in development at the major studios, but only one really seems to have any heat on it. it is a comedy, and i think it will get made.

StevieG
11-18-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[Phil Gordon] comes across affable and knowledge, with a sense of humor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being tall and having good looks cannot hurt, either.

How huge is Hachem in Australia?

With the combination of a large population that produces many competitive players on the world stage and a focus on internal competition, the U.S. does not value international winners like other countries do.

I was in the Netherlands when Raymond van Barneveld won the World Darts championship. "Barney" became an overnight celebrity, doing endorsements, TV circuit, competition judging, etc.