PDA

View Full Version : Stars Sng Help

11-17-2005, 08:41 PM
I have been playing one and multi table sngs at stars recently. I find that I can beat the 5.50's and the 11's are becoming more beatable the one table level. I can crush the 5.50 multi tables but have no sucess at the 11 multis.

My bankroll is around 600 and i am just looking for advice as to how to improve my play and what limits i should explore. I am a student and only have time to play for roughly 3 hours a day during the week, and the same or maybe a little more on weekends.

Please only experienced stars players respond, as the stars sngs are unbelievably different from the party/pacific/prima.

Thanks a lot
-pre /images/graemlins/spade.gif

bluefeet
11-17-2005, 08:56 PM
you are adequately rolled for the 11's
you are marginally rolled for the 22's - qualified? maybe not yet

i'd make the move to the more $rate friendly turbos. given the quick pace, i'd suggest you start at the $6+.50 turbos. fair rake as you further develop both deep-stack, and monster blind short-stacked play.

WITH a move to turbos, i suggest you welcome any/all advice. as success in these games is not much different than the others you have mentioned -- late game, bubble play.

while you might find less post-flop post threads, you WILL benefit from reading every post. read, read some more, read a few more, post & repeat.

good luck.

11-17-2005, 09:02 PM
yeah ive been thinking about going to the turbos for a little whlie

thanks for ur advice

11-17-2005, 09:19 PM
any other ideas would be appreciated as well

bluefeet
11-17-2005, 09:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any other ideas would be appreciated as well

[/ QUOTE ]

your eagerness and enthusiasm (just a read) are refreshing, but i'm going to you a favor here.

it is humanly impossible, and incredibly time consuming in an attempt, to tell you how to "play better".

*read* - honestly. it's slow, painful sometimes, but there are no shortcuts. there are no substitutes for experience (unless you have a rich relative willing to fork out for professional guidance).

play within your budget, track all of your games. post SPECIFIC hands that you find troubling (bad beats are not troubling, just disappointing).

here's a forum fav thread that should keep you busy for several evenings.

linky (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=singletable&Number=191873 5&fpart=&PHPSESSID=)

11-18-2005, 12:20 AM
The $6.50 turbos are sweet. Read hands that people have posted about pushing when blinds are big. You could probably make a nice profit at the turbos by playing solely push/fold poker.

11-18-2005, 12:33 AM
I play a mix of 5.50 SNG's and the 6.50 turbos are nice 45 person.. the turbo makes ppl feel the need to push inferior hands for some reason.
even the 45 ppl turbos dont take but 80-90 mins on average

I also love the cheap multi's
I got my initial BR boost from a $2 multi, placed 3rd and got $280.

Matt R.
11-18-2005, 01:10 AM
Study individual hands (i.e. work through them street by street, figure out what your opponent is thinking, etc.) and play NL ring games. Your overall ability will improve much faster if you play in ring games, as opposed to only focusing on short stack poker. You'll learn to read hands a lot faster, which will help your sng game tremendously. And... if you're serious about mastering sng's learn to 'pushbot' ASAP.

gisb0rne
11-18-2005, 01:19 AM
These are 1-table SNG's, you don't need much skill to beat them. You can certainly beat up through the $27's and probably the $60's with just extra tight preflop play in the early levels and a decent knowledge of how to push-bot once your stack drops below 10 BB. Thus I would focus my studying on 2 through 5 handed play. A great tool is eastbay's SNG Power Tools program. You can plug in your hand, what you think the calling range for your opponents is, stack sizes, and it tells you whether it's good to move all-in or not.

pokerlaw
11-18-2005, 01:25 AM
whats your SN? if you play regularly I might have notes on you which would be more helpful than blind advice.

as to the 18, 28 and 45 person SNGs, outlast the others.