PDA

View Full Version : when should i have folded KQo?

11-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Hands like this kill all my profits. Help me get away from them...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7 SB) 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8 BB) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG calls.

River: (11 BB) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, UTG folds.

Final Pot: 13 BB

bigalt
11-17-2005, 08:32 PM
preflop would be a good place. otherwise i don't see one anywhere.

winky51
11-17-2005, 08:59 PM
Your play with KQ depends on the player. IF the player is a rock its a fold. If he has any skill or is a LAG this is an easy 3 bet.

In the CO 1st in what is he raising with if he is half decent?

Axs. KTs, KJ, KJs, QJs, QJo, JTs, KTo, 66+ and the usual hands. The reraise does 2 things, lets you control the pot and makes it easier for you to fold if he shows even more strength.

Calling PF is a no no. You are out of position and no information on his hand. 3 betting PF will help you get that information.

Nick C
11-17-2005, 09:04 PM
Unless CO had been doing a lot of iso-raising preflop or was a LAG, I would have folded preflop.

MisterKing
11-17-2005, 09:07 PM
preflop.

11-18-2005, 01:39 AM
CO had been steal raising without opposition so I called with KQo, hoping he was on a steal again. After hitting the Q on the flop and he 3 bets me can i cap it and fold if he leads the turn?

BoxLiquid
11-18-2005, 02:10 AM
Fold pre-flop against a rock. You can probably ditch the hand on the turn though. It looks like he has an overpair.

BoxLiquid
11-18-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CO had been steal raising without opposition so I called with KQo, hoping he was on a steal again. After hitting the Q on the flop and he 3 bets me can i cap it and fold if he leads the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he's a very frequent stealer I might try a reraise with the KQo.

You can probably call his 3 bet and donk him on the turn to see how he reacts. If he reraises again you might be in trouble.

11-18-2005, 03:14 AM
I say C/R the turn to knock out UTG and fold to a 3-bet. If villain 3-bets here, there's not many hands we're beating and we won't have clean outs to improve. If villain flat calls, value bet river. Check calling does nothing to further define this hand and possibly lets UTG stay in profitably (which is not good considering that the pot is getting reasonably large).

Given that you check/called the turn, check/call the river as the pot is too big to fold TPGK.

silkyslim
11-18-2005, 03:16 AM
id fold preflop. this is an easily dominated hand (as you probably found out) especially against a raise. also, you are out of position for the rest of the hand which is a huge disadvantage. other than that i think you need to call down.

bernie
11-19-2005, 01:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
CO had been steal raising without opposition so I called with KQo, hoping he was on a steal again.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a limper before him preflop. This isn't a steal raise situation.

b

JJNJustin
11-19-2005, 06:55 AM
You should not have called the raise pre-flop because you were out of position with what could be a dominated hand. Had you been on the button it might have been a marginal call, but being in the small blind you usually dont want to cold call raises unless you have a big hand.

The main reason for folding KQ in this spot, other than the fact that you are not a favorite to win against almost any hand he would raise with, is that you are in the small blind and have the worst position. Your opponent will gather much information about what you hold and extract the maximum from you when he has you beat, and if he is a good player, will pay you off the least when he cant be you. Plus as the turn and river card come off you will have to act before he acts, which will tell him alot of info about what you hold, but you wont have that same advantage.

Dont cold call late position raises with what could be marginal holdings, especially in the small blind.

Had you been on the button and you thought there was a decent chance your hand was a 50/50 (i.e. he held 99 or TT or JJ), or only slightly worse (he holds AJ or AT), then three betting or calling would be ok, especially if you play much better than he does after the flop. But if he is a strong player and you are in the small blind, I would fold. I hate to play out of the small blind.

-J