PDA

View Full Version : Crappy-Ass Graphics

SeanM
06-27-2003, 08:22 AM
I was just wondering what you guys think about grpahics on poker sites. Partypoker is so easy to play at. I can not stand pokerstars and paradise. The cards are all blurry and hard to recognize. Parypoker is so much better and easier to look at, problem is they are down have the time. But when they are up, they beat the ehll out of the other cheapskates sites. Opinions?

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-27-2003, 08:48 AM
Party easily has the dinkiest graphics, 'Stars graphics are hands-down the best. Sounds like your problem is your machine.

SeanM
06-27-2003, 09:12 AM
Are u joking? How can you say stars has better graphics. The cards are one half the size that they are at party. The resolution is 200 times better.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-27-2003, 10:25 AM
Not on my machine. Now don't get me wrong. As long as I can see the cards and the bets, the bells and whistles are secondary. But on party, the diamonds are not sharp, seats 8, 9, & 10 can look confusing as to where the bet is coming from (when seat 10 is the button, the button itself is between seats 9 & 10. And I won't even comment on those stick-figure personas at party, I just turn them off. Getting hand histories is harder at Party, and the hand histories themselves are full of extraneous lines of text. Finally, the servers at Party can't handle the traffic.

At 'Stars, the cards are all sharp and easy to read, even though they might be 3/4 the size of the cards at Party. On all-in hands, 'Stars rolls the board cards slowly, so you can see yourself getting sucked out on /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. 'Stars keeps a running tally of pot size (current bets included) neither Paradise nor Party does that. The image select option on 'Stars makes it easy to see that a new person is at your table. It's closer to real life because you actually have visual recognition of a player as opposed to just name recognition. Graphics-wise, 'Stars if the Loeuvre, and Party is fingerpainting.

Actually, I think Paradise has the easiest cards to read, but you are literally the first person I have ever heard say he liked Party's graphics better than 'Stars.

Rickfish
06-27-2003, 10:39 AM
I prefer the graphics at Pokerstars and I don't like the graphics at Partypoker. I try to turn off all the graphics options at Party but it is still too busy and every time there is a new version (very frequent) I have to turn off the options again. I just want to see what I need to see without distractions. I don't really care how many pixels there are.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-27-2003, 10:41 AM
For some reason, every time Party upgrades, my machine can't download the upgrade and I have to re-install. This doesn't happen at other sites.

whiskeytown
06-27-2003, 11:05 AM
I have no problems with PS - but then again, I play at 800 x 600 when playing a game (so I can lean back and not strain my eyes at the 1280x960 version I'm normally at) -

I definately think PS has some of the best graphics.... - PP graphics are kinda ok...but the player icons don't help either. - RB

Prickly Pete
06-27-2003, 11:27 AM
I really wish Party would play the all-in hands slowly as well. It's very annoying to look away for a second, 2 guys are all-in and the hand's over and you have no idea what their hole cards were (since it's not in the hand summary either). But then again, I guess our friends at Party want to keep things moving, so you can pump in another fee that much quicker.

FeliciaLee
06-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Very well put, Kurn. I was just thinking the exact same thoughts when I read the first post. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I have extremely good vision, but Party has the blurriest suits I've seen, for one of the "big" sites. Like you, I also hate how fast they deal and muck when one player is all-in. Last night I was all-in with the nut flush, and I was bumped out, with the game continuing before I could even see what happened. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Turns out that another desperate all-in player made a FH on the river, but I would never have known that, since they deal and muck, then pop up a message telling you that you have been eliminated.

Give me Stars anyday.

cferejohn
06-27-2003, 03:07 PM
You must be kidding. Stars graphics look like hell. The cards are fuzzy and strange looking. It took me a couple weeks to adjust to it (going to 4 color helped me alot for some reason). On the other hand, I like their interface alot, especially the way you can enter comments by double clicking and how you can easily see what place you are in a tournament. Also, the pictures are nice and make it easier to remember people.

I've only played at Stars, Party, and Planet. Of the three, Party definitely is the best in terms of being able to easily read the cards. Once you get rid of that asinine 'congratulations' thing, it becomes a lot less annoying.

Kurn, son of Mogh
06-27-2003, 03:42 PM
Not kidding at all. 'Stars graphics on my machine are sharp and clear, party's are fuzzy. I'm running a fairly new WindowsXP machine, but I don't have all the specs in front of me because I'm at work.

I think what we have here is related to each of our individual processors, as well as the capabilities of our monitors. I don't think either your or my perception is wacky, so it must be the machines. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

cferejohn
06-27-2003, 07:19 PM
Hmm. How odd. There's definitely a schism. I had to change my resolution to 800x640 (I think that's right) just to be able to deal with Stars. Otherwise everything was just too wee.