PDA

View Full Version : Something I've Been Wondering About...

Matty
11-17-2005, 02:32 PM
Is there some way you can permanently kill most or all of your sense of taste?

I could see this saving me like a thousand dollars a year and adding many years to my life. I think I'd just need to keep a little bit of my sense of taste to save me from eating spoiled foods, etc.

I'm sure evolution will eventually do this to us, but I don't have thousands of years to wait around.

Matty
11-17-2005, 02:34 PM
P. Dirty, what do you say?

pokerdirty
or you could go ahead and kill yourself now...

why the [censored] would you want to live without being able to taste? to save a grand a year? yikes...

Matty
Damn I'm good. Swede and jesus?

swede123
11-17-2005, 02:35 PM
I have heard continously eating very spicy food can numb your taste buds permanently. Start putting the hottest hot sauce you can handle on everything and eventually the sensitivity of your taste buds will diminish. Other methods for reducing your taste bud's sensitivity include dipping and chewing tobacco.

Swede

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 02:36 PM
was this a setup /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Matty
11-17-2005, 02:37 PM
I went to the "who's online" page, hit ctrl+f, searched for "wondering" and saw who was making new replies to this thread. I guess jesusenrique thought better of posting his.

diebitter
11-17-2005, 02:38 PM
You know the menthol oil (Albas? Do you have that in NA?) you can buy you put on a hanky to sniff when you got a cold?

Well my grandpa told me he sniffed the oil straight up his nose, and claimed he lost his sense of taste.

Don't know if he was kidding me though, I was quite young at the time. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

HopeydaFish
11-17-2005, 02:38 PM
If you're interested in saving money, castrate yourself.

MelchyBeau
11-17-2005, 02:40 PM
I lost the taste on half of my tounge due to getting my wisdom teeth removed.

Melch

chessforlife
lol!

hey, along these lines. i've often pondered how efficient it would be to have a valve surgically placed entering my stomach, that would allow me to just inject mush that contained optimum health requirements.

of course chicks would be freaked out by a valve on your stomach though.

what do you think about this?

Matty
[ QUOTE ]
If you're interested in saving money, castrate yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]My girl is actually a bit of a sugar momma. I'm sure she would no longer be that if I couldn't get it up.

Although I have read that you can add like 15 years to your life by getting castrated. I believe i made a thread or poll about it here months ago.

pokerdirty
[ QUOTE ]
I lost the taste on half of my tounge due to getting my wisdom teeth removed.

Melch

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you got a nice settlement from the dentist's office.

imported_anacardo
11-17-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know the menthol oil (Albas? Do you have that in NA?) you can buy you put on a hanky to sniff when you got a cold?

Well my grandpa told me he sniffed the oil straight up his nose, and claimed he lost his sense of taste.

Don't know if he was kidding me though, I was quite young at the time. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you give us his exact words, taking care to imitate exactly whatever wacky Brit-variant accent he might have possessed?

11-17-2005, 02:44 PM
re: spicy foods, a buddy of mine went into the army, everything was godawful, he spiced up 3 meals a day and now his tongue might as well be plastic wrapped. Everything tastes like paper to him.

Gary

dibbs
11-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Not an epicurean eh? I see the rationale, kind of cold though no?

That being said, I recently was curious if there was some procedure in which I could totally kill my sex drive and become totally unsexual, which would in essence give me an unclouded mind and I could enjoy other things more. Despite their bullsht though, Im far too obessed with women to go through with it.

Again, I see the reasoning, but I think you'd regret it later.

diebitter
11-17-2005, 02:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you give us his exact words, taking care to imitate exactly whatever wacky Brit-variant accent he might have possessed?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's South London, similar to East-End Cockney (it's as good as if you're not from London), probably the most notable person you'd know with the accent is Michael Caine. Vinny Jones also.

I'll do my best, but only the opener...

'Allo, Treacle Bollerx, wo' you bin doin? Did eye evah tew you abaht the tiyme eye...

Treacle Bollocks was a term of endearment for small boys when I was growing up.

jester710
11-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Most of your sense of taste actually comes from your nose, so the snorting menthol is probably the most likely to work. Eating a steady diet of constant foods won't really kill any taste buds, it will just dull the flavors of less extreme foods. I would think you'd need to keep eating the spices, though, as this doesn't seem like a permanent solution. Something you might want to try is holding your nose while you eat; this won't totally kill your sense of taste, but it might dull it a little bit.

Personally, though, I think tasting good food is worth at least a grand a year.

11-17-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Treacle Bollocks was a term of endearment for small boys when I was growing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's hope Michael Jackson doesn't read this.

Matty
11-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Yeah, because then he might, uh, start molesting children?

Anyway:

NSFW I guess (http://img501.imageshack.us/img501/2940/jackson2ms.jpg)

gunt
11-18-2005, 07:52 PM
i had a roommate in college who had no sense of smell...this in turn effected his taste, since the majority of sense of taste is smell, if that makes any sense. haha