PDA

View Full Version : last call

11-17-2005, 02:21 PM
Is this just bad luck? Should I have called?

PokerStars Game Hold'em No Limit - Level IV
(50/100) - 2005/11/16 - 23:52:58 (ET)
Seat #4 is the button

Seat 2: Naphidim (3140 in chips)
Seat 3: DonkDown (6625 in chips)
Seat 4: thepang (3210 in chips)
Seat 5: tekiller (6680 in chips)
Seat 6: yankeeguy9 (4465 in chips)
Seat 7: weirmacht (3935 in chips)
Seat 8: chiliboulos (1245 in chips)
Seat 9: senselessnks (3540 in chips)
tekiller: posts small blind 50
yankeeguy9: posts big blind 100

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to thepang [As Kc]
weirmacht: folds
chiliboulos: folds
senselessnks: calls 100
lamp64 is connected
Naphidim: calls 100
DonkDown: raises 6525 to 6625 and is all-in
thepang: calls 3210 and is all-in
tekiller: folds
yankeeguy9: folds
senselessnks: folds
Naphidim: folds
*** FLOP *** [Ah 4h 4s]
*** TURN *** [Ah 4h 4s] [8h]
*** RIVER *** [Ah 4h 4s 8h] [9s]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
DonkDown: shows [9h 9c] (a full house, Nines full of Fours)
thepang: shows [As Kc] (two pair, Aces and Fours)
DonkDown collected 6770 from pot

11-17-2005, 02:27 PM
It's just kind of one of those situations that if u won it was a great call if u lost it was a bad call. Me personally i think a lot of people give too much credit to AK this early. Your not in danger of going broke, and this early if you make the call, i find it to be rare to be up against AQ or lower, but occassionally it happens. But the majority of the time, it's a pocket pair or another AK at which point your only a slight underdog. Personally for me, some will probably disagree but it's a fold. I've put nothing in the pot, lost nothing, and all i've got is Ace high.

Yuv
11-17-2005, 02:31 PM
You should never call a hand that you're going to lose on the river. That's very -ev. You should only call if you'll win.

(In all seriousness, read a little before you post, that's what I did. This is a bad post, not a bad call. Don't post results, write reads on opponents, your image at the table, state in the tournament, buyin and so on. Either way, this hand doesn't seem interesting in anyway, and most importantly, don't post results. I hope your next posts will be better)

captainzodiac
11-17-2005, 02:43 PM
i make that call 99% of the time in that position,easpecially early on when trying to build a stack.
i hear the thought of ak is just a high withoutout a flop,but also you are pretty sure your a coin toss or better,and doubling up here gives you a serious shot at making it deep in the tourney.

11-17-2005, 02:58 PM
Well, considering how small the blinds are, his push is pretty much screaming that he has a pocket pair that is less than KK. For the table chip leader to go all-in there, he's pretty much saying that he has a good pocket pair but he doesn't want to give the limpers a cheap flop and wouldn't mind taking it down preflop. I don't think AK, AQ makes that push, I don't think small pocket pairs make that push, and KK is usually willing to risk a normal raise and see a flop. A scared player could push KK or AA and just hope someone calls, but that's a waste of a monster.

So you are pretty much assured that you're getting the weak side of a coinflip for your call. With the 2 limpers ahead of you and minimal money in the blinds, you're probably getting about the exact minimum odds you need for this call to make sense.

It's borderline. You've got plenty of chips (30BB) left to find a better spot, and doubling up here probably doesn't guarantee you much since you won't have enough to really bully the table around even if you do double up.

I folded AKo in a similar situation yesterday, but depending on my reads, I could very easily go broke here too.

11-17-2005, 03:35 PM
i agree, for me its a fold. This all in screams weak player to me. Its such a weak play. The blinds are not an issue yet, and lets try to take flops with this guy. I like to see five cards. Why play the game according to his rules. Let him push into AA or KK and give his money away.

11-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks

It's sometimes hard to judge when you have been folding hand after hand. This gives me a better read on what the all-in meant.