PDA

View Full Version : ATs in BB. 3 bet, call/lead or check/raise? $2 $4

Stealthy
11-17-2005, 01:41 PM
Button is a TAG 15/7/3.2 over 500 hands. He is too aggressive on the flop and turn with mediocre hands and tends to bet, raise or fold. He shuts down on the river unless he is very strong.

The other 3 in are just varying degrees of loose players who could have anything.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is BB with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, Hero calls, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (10 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>

Having created a large pot pre-flop I didn't see a lot of merit in 3 betting the flop as felt I could protect my hand better with a turn check-raise as I was almost certain he would follow through his flop raise. I wanted to clear some of the passives out by facing them with 2 big cold ones.

This may all be incredibly standard but lack the experience to know one way or the other.

Nick C
11-17-2005, 06:42 PM
One risk you're taking here is that Button may be raising the field with a hand like 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, in which case it's possible he'll take a free card on the turn.

However, I remember that when I regularly played 2/4, I eventually stopped worrying about free-card raises, since no one ever seemed to take the free card. (People who raised the flop with a draw could generally be counted on to fire with it again on the turn.) If you're confident Button will bet on the turn, your plan seems all right to me.

Another reason I kind of want to 3-bet the flop, though, is that you wouldn't think that on this board your hand, if best, would be up against very many outs (unless someone has a flush draw). But from the sounds of it, it's entirely possible that 43o and 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 5 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif are out there. And, based on your description of Button, it sounds like it's entirely possible that what he's raising with is a hand like pocket 9's.

cpk
11-17-2005, 10:37 PM
Fairly standard; flop 3-bet may also work. Few people like to pay two bets on a weak hand at any time. I think it's six one way, half-dozen the other.

thejameser
11-17-2005, 10:42 PM
with his AF you can count on him firing again on the turn. perfect c/r opportunity. nice hand.

11-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Way to protect your hand in a big pot.

sy_or_bust
11-18-2005, 01:11 AM
bet the turn. button has a flush draw, set, or aces up almost every time. only a set will raise again now, and that draw will take a free card for the field - not good.

a turn checkraise is terrific, but very risky.

Stealthy
11-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks for the imput. I still feel a bit all at sea with these medium made hands but felt the pot was too big to stop firing.

The whole field including the button folded to my check-raise and I take it down which was nice. I think me check-raising when the king hit 4th street may have convinced the button that I had AK.

MATT111
11-18-2005, 09:16 AM
I like your line if your read on villain betting the turn is strong enough. That said I probably lead the turn as villains preflop limp rather means a flush than a better ace. Free-card = nischt-nischt