PDA

View Full Version : BCA National 8 Ball Tourney

04-13-2002, 08:16 PM
Anybody shooting in the 8 Ball Tourney at the Rivera in May....What are u playing; team, singles or both. Whats your team name?? Going to play Poker?? Where??

Thanks!

Straight Shooting....Flats

04-14-2002, 12:59 AM
Last summer, I went to the Riveria to play 1-5 stud while there was a pool (billiards?, sorry) tournament there. Many of the pool players were truly maniacal at the poker tables. It was quite easy to walk away with a good win.

Unfortunately, the Riveria closed their poker room last fall. I suspect many of the pool players will walk across the street to Circus Circus if they are going to play low limit games (1-5 stud and 3-6 Hold'em at C.C.). It should be a good opportunity to make a score at the low limit tables.

04-14-2002, 01:06 AM
I was staying in the Circus Circus last year during the 8 ball thing. Being a pool player myself I know that, at least on the pool tables, most won't give an inch, they'll pick at you for fifteen minutes before a game so that you'll give them an extra game in a race to nine, or they'll insist on getting all the break shots, yet, when you put them at the poker table, they just bluff, bluff, and bluff. I finished drinking one night at 6 in the morning and played 3-6 at the circus circus. I was listening to an ex-pro tell me about his match five years ago with Efren Reyes, arguably the greatest money player in his prime. He was one of the worst poker players I've seen. . . To be that good at pool and that bad at cards, which require similar killer instincts, go figure. . .

04-14-2002, 03:39 AM
Pool players make bad poker players. To win at pool, they think they need heart. To win at poker, they think they need heart. What they really need is a hand.

Sorry to hear the Riviera closed its poker area. I played some O8 there during a 3C tourney where an avg. of eight saw the flop. It was my first experience of the kind.

04-14-2002, 01:38 PM
"What they really need is a hand"

What they really need is a head. You know most pool players don't have that.

Smart to keep the BCA in Las Vegas. They had it at a hotel in Denver one year and we went out to check out the action. Great pool action if you could make a ball. (I never could) A friend of mine owned a pool hall and played pretty good. (A cut below the guys like Reyes et. al. but good enough to cash in a tournament in Denver with the big guys that Buddy Hall won). He hooked up in a good match and won some. That straight pool player fom Texas Dick(?) Lane missed a match against me in a little satellite tournament because he found action. As such I got a forfeit and got to play the second round against a player who gave me a turn at the table which I wouldn't have gotten against Lane. Lost anyway of course. But not many bar table players should bother to play Lane, I don't know who tried. But anyway, it was an action festival as far as pool goes. No poker as far as I know though. Poker against a lot of those guys would be great fun indeed. Quote of the evening was from a friend of mine who was offered a mortal lock side bet at about 4 AM. He moaned, "But I spent all my money on beeeeeeeeeeeer!"

P.S. to Dynasty. If it has holes it's pool. If it is 10' long, no holes, 3 balls, it's billiards.

04-15-2002, 01:17 AM
I predict that Francisco Bustamante will be a poker great someday. I played 6-12 against him at the Mirage last year. He was very focused and never went on tilt. McCreedy (who played himself in the movie The Color of Money) and Reyes are pathetic poker players even though the latter is supposedly a chess expert.

04-15-2002, 02:41 AM
Sang Lee, the U.S. three-cushion billiard champ for the past 13? years, and 1994 world champ, was playing a lot of 100-200 h.o.s.e. at foxwoods. I haven't been there in over a year now, but I heard he wasn't doing too well, either. I think it's the M.J. syndrome. If you're the best at one thing, you think you can do anything. But man, that guy plays billiards like god. . .

04-15-2002, 04:24 AM
I heard that was how he lost his first room in Queens, the one before Carom Cafe. The person who told me was a completely unreliable flake, but I've played a lot of that four ball game with Koreans, and they do love their action.

04-15-2002, 06:13 AM
I heard something like that through the pool room grape-vine, and I also heard that he didn't host his yearly world invitational in 2000. But, does that mean he started prospering to start carom cafe? I heard he lost a lot in horses, too. . . He's quite a gentlemen, though. I saw him call a foul on himself in a 28-27 match against one of his New York students for touching his ball with his sleeve (which is a foul in 3-cushion, even if the ball doesn't move), he sat down and lost the match, which knocked him out of the finals. Ten people were watching the game and no one said they saw his sleeve even touch.