PDA

View Full Version : How good a driver are you?

11-17-2005, 12:51 PM
I think I'm "an excellent driver" <--Rainman.

But seriously, I've been driving for 10 years now, I'd estimate I've driven approx. 150,000 miles, in a major city, and have only been in one wreck. And it was the old-man-who-hit-me's fault. I was driving through downtown and he ran a red light and slammed into my side. I almost was able to speed up to save him from hitting me, but alas, to no avail.

So, in summary:

10 years.
150,000 miles.
1 wreck that was not my fault.

I'm sure some of the older fellas have me beat. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

swede123
11-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Been driving since 1993. Probably in the same mileage range as you, 150K or so.

One wreck, which was partially my fault, and happened one month ago.

Swede

imported_The Vibesman
11-17-2005, 12:56 PM
I think it was Carlin who said that most Americans would never admit to two things: being a terrible driver and not having a sense of humor.

So I can see where this thread is going.

Alobar
11 years, no idea how many miles

zero wrecks

Im also one of the few people who doesnt consider themselves a "good" or "great" driver. Im average......just like everyone else

xadrez
Im 27 and have never had a license (I do "know" how to drive, and do have a permit, but Im probably not too good).

I need to get one soon, as I dont want my 16 year old sister to get it before me.

Sponger15SB
11-17-2005, 12:58 PM
I'm not a very good driver, but at least I always go near the speed limit and make complete stops at stop signs and don't run red lights, etc.

Some people claim to be great drivers and then they are weaving in and out of traffic going 90, yeah, riiiiite.

Sponger15SB
11-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Oh btw everyone who cites the ammount of wrecks they got in that weren't their fault as proof that they are good drivers have some serious sample size issues.

11-17-2005, 01:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Oh btw everyone who cites the ammount of wrecks they got in that weren't their fault as proof that they are good drivers have some serious sample size issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not true. In addition to not being in many wrecks, I've SAVED others from hitting me SEVERAL times. I could have easily been in about 6-8 wrecks which were not my fault. Being a good driver isn't just "not hitting people", it's also knowing when to get out of the way and how to be defensive, and aware of people around you who appear to not know what they are doing.

miajag81
11-17-2005, 01:07 PM
9 years, one major wreck that wasn't my fault, about 6 speeding tickets. I think I'm a pretty decent driver.

Voltron87
11-17-2005, 01:08 PM
I can't drive, I don't have a license

11-17-2005, 01:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Some people claim to be great drivers and then they are weaving in and out of traffic going 90, yeah, riiiiite.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me. I'm not saying this is safe, but you must be confident in your abilities to be able to do this. I scare the sh*t out of my GF and brother by doing this occasionally. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will probably die in a car wreck. /images/graemlins/frown.gif But hopefully I won't take down anyone else.

oddjob
11-17-2005, 01:09 PM
i'm probably the best driver here.

TeeJayORTj
11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
Been driving around Boston for the last year so I am a masshole. I am a decent driver but likely over aggresive at times.

When not driving through Boston I think I am a good driver...but in Boston thats a different story.

11-17-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me... what percentage of adult NYers own cars and if so, how many miles do they put on their car per year?

I live in Houston, which encompasses over 600 square miles. Driving a lot is mandatory. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

ThaSaltCracka
11-17-2005, 01:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is me. I'm not saying this is safe, but you must be confident in your abilities to be able to do this. I scare the sh*t out of my GF and brother by doing this occasionally. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I will probably die in a car wreck. /images/graemlins/frown.gif But hopefully I won't take down anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]if you do that, then you are a horrible driver.

swede123
11-17-2005, 01:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Been driving around Boston for the last year so I am a masshole. I am a decent driver but likely over aggresive at times.

When not driving through Boston I think I am a good driver...but in Boston thats a different story.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a good point. It definitely is situational. If you try to keep six car lengths between you and the next car (or whatever distance you're supposed to per the driving instructor) good luck getting anywhere in a city. My wife who grew up in a rural area likes to be in the right lane a good three miles before her exit; I'm cool with getting there three hundred feet before.

Swede

BreakfastBurrito
11-17-2005, 01:17 PM
I'd say I'm an above average driver. 9 years, about 120,000 miles, a couple fender benders at 16-17 yrs of age, but no major wrecks.

I don't think being a safe driver and a good driver are necessarily the same things. Some of the weaving in and out at 90 mph types are actually very skilled drivers with amazingly good judgement, but are still not good drivers due to their wrecklessness. A lot of very passive and cautious drivers may never get into an accident, but they'll cause a traffic jam in city traffic and are hopeless if called on to parallel park. I try to be a standard 15 mph over the speed limit driver who can get where I need to go quickly without causing undue hazard to the drivers around me. Judgement and parallel parking is above average but not great.

You pretty much have your LAGs, Weak tights, and I'm trying to be a TAG. Perhaps an inappropriate reference.

jacki
11-17-2005, 01:18 PM
I'm the best.

I drove taxi on and off for 5 years..150-200 miles per shift. Only got in one accident when a drunk ran a red light and T-boned me.

I was once going 65 on the interstate in my pickup when I started fishtailing and was able to catch myself. That was awesome.
I'm sure I've avoided other accidents most people would have gotten into.

edtost
11-17-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]if you do that, then you are a horrible driver.

[/ QUOTE ]

good driving != safe, boring driving

11-17-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think being a safe driver and a good driver are necessarily the same things

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point!

SL__72
11-17-2005, 01:21 PM
I would guess that I'm a pretty good driver. I've only had my license for 6 years but I've never been pulled over or in any sort of accident. Most of that time was driving a pickup that was a manual.

Porcupine
11-17-2005, 01:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course, if the "good drivers" would follow the "slower traffic keep left" rule instead of camping out in the passing lane at 60 mph, there would be no need to weave.

Voltron87
11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I live in Houston

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I hadn't heard.

I'm not really an "adult" per say, but I would guess 10-20% of NYers (manhattanites) have cars, i dont really know far they drive.

I can drive slowly and have some basic skills, I've driven about 10 hours (practice) in basically empty streets. I have never driven on a highway, but I have some experience. I could learn pretty quickly IMO.

11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would guess that I'm a pretty good driver. I've only had my license for 6 years but I've never been pulled over or in any sort of accident. Most of that time was driving a pickup that was a manual.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've never even been pulled over?

I'm amazed, almost to the point of disbelief. Please explain.

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 01:32 PM
are you defining "good driver" as someone who has not been in an accident? a courteous driver? a driver that can pull a 180 for a perfect park in their driveway after driving 80 down their cul-de-sac?

11-17-2005, 01:32 PM
I thought I was a good driver because I never had an accident or a ticket until I went through some specialized courses and then it became painfully obvious that I was not. There are some great accident avoidance and other driving courses out there that I think would benefit everyone behind the wheel. This is where I took my courses (close to DC) but there are places like this all around the country. BSR, INC (http://www.bsr-inc.com)

oddjob
11-17-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what's there to explain.

ChipWrecked
11-17-2005, 01:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it was Carlin who said that most Americans would never admit to two things: being a terrible driver and not having a sense of humor.

So I can see where this thread is going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Carlin:

Anybody driving slower than you are, is an idiot.
Anybody driving faster than you are, is a maniac.

11-17-2005, 01:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what's there to explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot. How many miles has he driven?

How has he not been pulled over at a random DWI check?

How has he never had a tail-light go out at night and been pulled over by a cop looking to find someone with an expired sticker as well, perhaps?

Does he drive a nice car?

It seems like a teenager driving a crappy car will get pulled over religiously. Especially if they have a taillight out. That is the easiest excuse for a cop to pull you over.

busguy
11-17-2005, 01:40 PM
I've been driving for 22 years. Class 1 licence (allowed to drive anything). No dings, scratches or accidents. I own a transportation company that employs 35+ drivers and I oversee our two driver trainer/instructors and our driver training program.

My definition of a good driver or "good driving" is that you not cause anyone else on the road to alter the way they were driving just because they are sharing the road with you. If you do not cause anyone to brake, accelerate or swerve when they normally wouldn't have . . . then you are a good driver. If your actions don't generally cause surprise to other drivers, (cause you suddenly appeared out of no where) then you are likey a good driver.

My guess would be that less than 20% of all drivers on the road are actually "good" drivers.

my 2 cents

busguy

xadrez
11-17-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Should we start a support group? I get ridiculed for this all the time.

razor
11-17-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If that is how you driver... you are NOT a good driver!!!!

It's not a race. It's not a hand/eye coordination skills contest.

Guy Incognito
11-17-2005, 01:45 PM
15 years, 150K miles, 2 speeding tickets, one failure to stop (obvious trap), one extremely minor accident that became an extremely major ordeal, thanks to the loser that hit me.

I agree that "accidents that weren't my fault" isn't necessarily an indicator of driving ability. I could probably get into an accident every week that's technically "not my fault", but I'm not about to go through what happened last time. I think I do a good job of watching out for the other guy.

razor
11-17-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think being a safe driver and a good driver are necessarily the same things

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent point!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can't be a good driver if you aren't a safe driver...

Matt Flynn
11-17-2005, 01:51 PM
I have hit everyone I intended to hit. Does that make me good or bad?

vulturesrow
11-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Im probably in the top 2% of good drivers worldwide.

Lazymeatball
11-17-2005, 01:55 PM
In MA (and I assume in most states) the minimum age for getting a liscense is 16and1/2/ got my liscense one month before I turned 17 and have never claimed to be a good driver.
I get the fealing I have left a few accidents in my wake, but they may or may not have been my fault.
I have never been involved in a 2 car accident but have busted my own headlight or tailight a few times.
So after 18k miles over 6 years I can claim a perfect driving record insurance wise, although I still don't feel comfortable driving or parking in Boston or in certain parts of Worcester.

razor
11-17-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What percentage of drivers do you figure to be 'good' drivers?

11-17-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me...is there an Automobile Mensa club? I'd like to try for it... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Voltron87
11-17-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Should we start a support group? I get ridiculed for this all the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah so do I. I take pride in being a pro subway rider and can't understand people who can't figure out which way is uptown and downtown and don't "get it".

Bluffoon
11-17-2005, 02:03 PM
New Jersey Driver with 22 years accident free. I had a speeding ticket about 16 years ago... was lost and looking at street signs and I missed the speed limit drop from 40 to 25.

vulturesrow
11-17-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1% /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paluka
11-17-2005, 02:06 PM
I'm a terrible driver.

Aces McGee
I hate driving. I haven't driven a car in 16 months.

I grew up in a very low traffic area, and I live around DC now, and I can't even RIDE in a car around here without being nervous. I also have a stigmatism in my right eye that affects my depth perception, so I have a difficult time with changing lanes.

On the flip side, I grew up in rural Vermont, so I can handle snow and ice better than most.

-McGee

pokerdirty
[ QUOTE ]
New Jersey Driver with 22 years accident free. I had a speeding ticket about 16 years ago... was lost and looking at street signs and I missed the speed limit drop from 40 to 25.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you gave the PoPo that excuse, no wonder you got a ticket.

sfer
11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Asian + short + short attention span = airbags

BottlesOf
11-17-2005, 02:11 PM
I can confrim this. Driving from the Woods to the Flagship was a little scary.

IndieMatty
11-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Since I havent driven a car since I was 17, I assume I suck.

sfer
11-17-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can confrim this. Driving from the Woods to the Flagship was a little scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were just upset that you mucked the winning hand at showdown to Joe.

razor
11-17-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So on what basis do you figure you are in the top 2% of the 1% of good drivers?

11-17-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm a horrible driver. I've been driving for 4 years, probably ~60k miles, and no wrecks.

I don't think that makes me any less of a horrible driver. My family refuses to ride with me.

So, can wrecks really be used as the variable of choice?

vulturesrow
11-17-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So on what basis do you figure you are in the top 2% of the 1% of good drivers?

[/ QUOTE ]

The basis is the fact that I am posting in OOT and what better place to make wild, unverifiable claims? /images/graemlins/wink.gif

chessforlife
11-17-2005, 02:42 PM
surely 150,000. zero wrecks.

and i've dodged many inidents too. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hey, how fast have you ever gone? i hit 125 mph a couple times.

imported_The Vibesman
11-17-2005, 02:45 PM
3 out of 60 posts admitting to being a terrible driver. That's actually more than I thought.

My father has been driving for 50 years and has never been in an accident. He is atrocious, possibly the worst driver I have ever seen. # of wrecks mean nothing.

BottlesOf
11-17-2005, 02:50 PM
But I was happy at ahving outplayed him /images/graemlins/grin.gif

diebitter
11-17-2005, 02:57 PM
I'm average at best. I was dire after spending a long time on motorbikes, and then having to go back to cars. Took about 4 years to get back to being an average car driver. Just positioned, reacted like a bike rider, and so really sucked for other road users.

No accidents in a car though, ever.

eviljeff
11-17-2005, 03:52 PM
OJ would have gotten away. and I drive a '91 Corolla.

Cosimo
11-17-2005, 04:20 PM
What makes one a good driver is knowing what makes others bad drivers.

A bad driver doesn't have a plan; he merely responds to the stimulus in front of him. A bad driver doesn't know what lane he needs to be in for an upcoming turn, and changes lanes at the last minute.

A bad driver is unaware of the traffic around him. He sits in the left lane of the highway, not noticing the long line behind him. He isn't concerned about what the traffic in front of the car in front of him is doing. A bad driver never knows if the lanes to his left and right are clear.

A bad driver doesn't think about how his actions signal intention, or of how those signals will affect where others drive. He won't use his turn signals because he knows where he's going, what does anyone else care? A bad driver entering a highway thinks that it is the responsibility of those already on the road to make room for him.

A bad driver isn't aware of how lights cycle, so he'll either be speeding to a light that's going to turn red before he gets there, or slowing down traffic to a light that's seconds away from turning green. He'll sit patiently waiting for a light to change, yet when the time gets close THAT'S when he decides to pick up the newspaper and read another paragraph.

kipin
11-17-2005, 04:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What makes one a good driver is knowing what makes others bad drivers.

A bad driver doesn't have a plan; he merely responds to the stimulus in front of him. A bad driver doesn't know what lane he needs to be in for an upcoming turn, and changes lanes at the last minute.

A bad driver is unaware of the traffic around him. He sits in the left lane of the highway, not noticing the long line behind him. He isn't concerned about what the traffic in front of the car in front of him is doing. A bad driver never knows if the lanes to his left and right are clear.

A bad driver doesn't think about how his actions signal intention, or of how those signals will affect where others drive. He won't use his turn signals because he knows where he's going, what does anyone else care? A bad driver entering a highway thinks that it is the responsibility of those already on the road to make room for him.

A bad driver isn't aware of how lights cycle, so he'll either be speeding to a light that's going to turn red before he gets there, or slowing down traffic to a light that's seconds away from turning green. He'll sit patiently waiting for a light to change, yet when the time gets close THAT'S when he decides to pick up the newspaper and read another paragraph.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent.

Being aware of your surroundings is one of the most important aspects of safe driving. I have actually avoided quite a few accidents just by recognizing what is going on around me.

I [censored] hate oblivious soccer mom, "Support our Troops", SUV driving types. They really piss me off while I'm driving. Anyone else?

After almost 5 years of driving, (yes I speed and weave) I have never had an accident or gotten a ticket. I attribute this to always being aware of my surroundings and constantly scanning all mirrors and the road ahead of me.

11-17-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hah!
Du hast es nicht recht!

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
11-17-2005, 05:07 PM
9 years
prolly 200k-220k miles
1 accident at about 2 mph that was my fault

tonypaladino
11-17-2005, 06:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This reminds me... what percentage of adult NYers own cars and if so, how many miles do they put on their car per year?

I live in Houston, which encompasses over 600 square miles. Driving a lot is mandatory. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents put <50k on their last car in 13 years

Sponger15SB
11-17-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Hah!
Du hast es nicht recht!

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed.

antidan444
11-18-2005, 01:30 AM
I'll buck the trend ...

If there's snow on the road, and you see a 2001 silver Mustang coupe with Maryland tags and a youngish, goateed guy wearing a red Washington Nationals ballcap behind the wheel, you may want to get out of the way.