PDA

View Full Version : Kill Bill Vol. 1

Predator314
11-17-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm probably the last person on earth to see this movie. I watched it last night. It was just a random "what the hell" pick in my Netflix queue. I normally don't like the martial arts with chicks movies, but this one was bad ass. I guess the story line is what sucked me in.

Vol 2 just made its way to the top of my queue.

diebitter
11-17-2005, 11:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm probably the last person on earth to see this movie. I watched it last night. It was just a random "what the hell" pick in my Netflix queue. I normally don't like the martial arts with chicks movies, but this one was bad ass. I guess the story line is what sucked me in.

Vol 2 just made its way to the top of my queue.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO 1 was a lot better than 2 (I felt 2 was bloated), but the concensus is pretty mixed - loads prefer 2.

A slick 2-2:30 cut of both together, removing the bloat, would have pwned tho.

Lazymeatball
11-17-2005, 11:15 AM
I've seen 1 more than I've seen 2. I like 2 better. 1 is good, but that superlong fight seen with the crazy eights kind of drags. and 2 has way more michael madsen. The matador makes any film 10x better. I can't weight to rent Donnie Brasco now.

swede123
11-17-2005, 11:18 AM
I saw them once each in the theater when they came out. I'm tempted to buy them now and watch them back to back. Would people advice against this being that they are so different?

Swede

Predator314
11-17-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
and 2 has way more michael madsen. The matador makes any film 10x better. I can't weight to rent Donnie Brasco now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed Michael Madsen being a co-star in the opening credits, yet he was only shown in a flashback/still for a few seconds. That was a bit disappointing.

samjjones
11-17-2005, 11:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I saw them once each in the theater when they came out. I'm tempted to buy them now and watch them back to back. Would people advice against this being that they are so different?

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure that Tarantino is going to put out another version soon, where both are combined (as was originally intended). You can probably wait for that.

Lazymeatball
11-17-2005, 11:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I noticed Michael Madsen being a co-star in the opening credits, yet he was only shown in a flashback/still for a few seconds. That was a bit disappointing.

[/ QUOTE ]

MikeM plays a pretty good role in KB2, watch it, you will like it.

11-17-2005, 11:36 AM
Both great films, but flip sides of a coin. Don't go into 2 expecting to see 1.

I saw QT in an interview where he talked about the possibility of KB3 in fifteen years when Verdita's daughter Nikki has grown up and wants to avenge her mother.

daveymck
11-17-2005, 11:58 AM
I just watched 2 the other week and I think it is better than 1 but then I prefer revenge westerns over the kung fu type films anyway. I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected and though Uma was fantastic throughout.

The ending I saw coming a mile off but the final confrontation was still well done and worked due to its lack of violence and more verbal interaction.

MonkeeMan
11-17-2005, 12:13 PM
I own them both and enjoy them equally. Don't want to throw out any spoilers except to say that the ending was predictable for all the right reasons.

Just never forget, don't [censored] with Uma.

http://www.paktribune.com/images/newsimages/2003/10/KillBill.jpg

Then again, I'd love to!

http://eur.yimg.com/i/xp/premier_photo/b/b29fa4df41.jpg

oddjob
11-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Vol 1 is an action movie.

Vol 2 is a Tarantino movie.

in my opinion they are both very different and it's hard for me to say which i like better. but then again, why do you have to like 1 more then the other.

Alobar
11-17-2005, 12:38 PM
I like 2 better than one, but like everyone says, they really are very different movies. If the story line of 1 is what hooked you, then I think youll prolly end up in the "2 is better" camp as well.

pryor15
11-17-2005, 01:39 PM
i'm surely in the minority here, but i hated vol 1 so much i refuse to see volume 2. i was so bored watching it in the theatre i thought it was 3 hours long. it wasn't until weeks later i learned it was only 90 minutes.

there just wasn't anything i hadn't already seen numerous times in other films. it felt like someone passing off a mix cd as their new album.

Colonel Kataffy
11-17-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i hated vol 1 so much i refuse to see volume 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big mistake. You're really missing out on a very different film. All the character development that was left out of part one is in part two and the story takes on a another demension. Part two has some incredible scenes and dialogue and Carradine is excellent. Just watch it. Also, part one is better in the context of part two.

MonkeeMan
11-17-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

there just wasn't anything i hadn't already seen numerous times in other films.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm calling your bluff.

http://pics.childeroland.be/pw.jpg

pryor15
11-17-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i hated vol 1 so much i refuse to see volume 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a big mistake. You're really missing out on a very different film. All the character development that was left out of part one is in part two and the story takes on a another demension. Part two has some incredible scenes and dialogue and Carradine is excellent. Just watch it. Also, part one is better in the context of part two.

[/ QUOTE ]

my policy is that if you let me out of the theatre half-way through a film, you'd better give me a damn good reason to come back. hell, i wanted to leave before that.

Colonel Kataffy
11-17-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my policy is that if you let me out of the theatre half-way through a film

[/ QUOTE ]

You left /images/graemlins/confused.gif I just don't understand this. There are so many bad movies that to walk out on this one is shocking to me.

-Skeme-
11-17-2005, 02:43 PM
2 is way better than 1.

pryor15
11-17-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my policy is that if you let me out of the theatre half-way through a film

[/ QUOTE ]

You left /images/graemlins/confused.gif I just don't understand this. There are so many bad movies that to walk out on this one is shocking to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, the movie was over and they had to clean the theatre.

i mean that if you split your film into 2 parts like that, don't expect me to show up for part 2 if part 1 doesn't give me a reason. i've got better things to do than watch part 2 of a film i hated. if the first LOTR had sucked, i wouldn't haved bothered with the rest of those either.

chessforlife
11-17-2005, 02:49 PM
i hate tarantino, but i liked the kill bill movies.

KDawgCometh
11-17-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
there just wasn't anything i hadn't already seen numerous times in other films. it felt like someone passing off a mix cd as their new album.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, this would be true if you are very familiar with 60s and 70s samurai and kung fu films, and I mean extremely familiar. So basically, if you aren't a film student, I call [censored] on your statement on pretty much seeing everything before

tpir90036
11-17-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've seen 1 more than I've seen 2. I like 2 better. 1 is good, but that superlong fight seen with the crazy eights kind of drags.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this 100%. I thought that fight was very "eh." Maybe I need to watch Vol. 1 again but I feel like 2 is much, much better.

astroglide
11-17-2005, 06:36 PM
i totally prefer 2

please don't bother with a poll anybody, 1 will win

imported_anacardo
11-17-2005, 06:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're high as a [censored].

PokerFink
11-17-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure how this is possible. Both of the films ooze Tarantino.

I prefer V2. Elle and I is my favorite chapter.

MarkL444
11-17-2005, 10:43 PM
i liked them about the same. i think the reason some people may like 1 more is because they didnt know what to expect when they saw it (for the most part). then they realized its cool and [censored]. mega high expectations for volume 2 followed.

Landon_McFly
11-17-2005, 10:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i liked them about the same. i think the reason some people may like 1 more is because they didnt know what to expect when they saw it (for the most part). then they realized its cool and [censored]. mega high expectations for volume 2 followed.

[/ QUOTE ]

La Brujita
11-17-2005, 11:02 PM
I liked two way better.

ClassicBob
11-17-2005, 11:07 PM
I'm going to risk coming off as pretentious here:

1 was a better movie.

2 was a better film.

Peter666
11-17-2005, 11:08 PM
It was a travesty that "Kill Bill Vol 1" didn't win the best picture Oscar or was even a contender in the year that "Chicago" won Best Picture. Hollywood, I vomit on you.

I prefer 1 over 2 because the second was way too long. But the Elle Macpherson fight was the best thing in the whole story /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pryor15
11-18-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, this would be true if you are very familiar with 60s and 70s samurai and kung fu films, and I mean extremely familiar. So basically, if you aren't a film student, I call [censored] on your statement on pretty much seeing everything before

[/ QUOTE ]

i used to be a film student and now that's what i do for a living. does that count?

you don't have to be all that well versed in kung fu to know when you're seeing stuff that's clearly been done before. hell, all you really have to do is read an interview w/ QT and he'll tell you what he's ripping off.

youtalkfunny
11-18-2005, 02:00 AM
My minority opinion: I thought the showdown with Bill was silly.

My more popular opinion: Liked 1 better than 2, too many throw-away scenes in 2.

Clarkmeister
11-18-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My minority opinion: I thought the showdown with Bill was silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno, the actual end, where they sit across each other at the table outside, was basically perfect.