PDA

View Full Version : Bet or check River here?

Toro
11-17-2005, 08:51 AM
This hand occurred at Foxwoods $565 NLHE WPF. I just got moved to this table but I know villian and he knows me. He is generally solid but will occasionally be over aggressive, kind of like me.

I think it was 3rd level, 50/100 and I had been on a little rush and had about 4000 chips and he had a little less. Fold to me in the cutoff and I haven't stolen a blind yet in the tourney so I decide i will this hand and raise to 300 with 7 /images/graemlins/club.gifT /images/graemlins/club.gif. Villian calls in the SB and the
BB folds.

Flop: K /images/graemlins/diamond.gifQ /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Check, check

Turn: T /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Villian bets 700 and I call.

River: J /images/graemlins/club.gif

Villian checks. What do you put villian on for a hand and what is my play here?

Prime Time
11-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Check behind.
Would hate to be c/r'd w/ two pair and have to lay it down.
I can see him holding K9 the way the hand played.
If you value bet the river, you will only be called or C/R'd if you are beat, so there is no reason to bet.

Skjonne
11-17-2005, 10:26 AM
With this board we can get him to lay down hands that has us beat. I bet 1,500 into the 2,150 pot

11-17-2005, 11:04 AM
I put villian on some single card > T who is waiting for your bet. Check the river.

sorry - didn't see the 2 pr u made. I think I still checkunless you are certain that an Ax wasn't out of the question for his call.

Toro
11-17-2005, 11:35 AM
I don't want to give it away just yet, but with 7TJQK board, how often/likely will Villian, if he has an Ace check the nuts on the River?

11-17-2005, 11:39 AM
I don't see the value for a bet here. If he's got the low end straight, he might be in it regardless of your bet b/c he's pot committed. Why risk so much of your stack this early in the tourney?

Skjonne
11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't see the value for a bet here. If he's got the low end straight, he might be in it regardless of your bet b/c he's pot committed. Why risk so much of your stack this early in the tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, to win even more?

Melchiades
11-17-2005, 12:35 PM
If I am villain there is almost no way I am calling a decent sized bet without an ace (unless I have some sort of insane read). And if I am villain there is no way I'm checking this river if I have an ace. Bet as Skjonne suggested.

ajizzle
11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
Check. pretty straight forward for me. You don't beat the caller enough of the time to make it valuable. Also, this being a live tourney, I am of the opinion that the opposition is more capable of picking up on weakness and is more likely to put you to the test with air for all your chips.

Showing down this hand wouldn't be too bad for your table image I think. depends on how active you plan to be though.

Roman
11-17-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With this board we can get him to lay down hands that has us beat. I bet 1,500 into the 2,150 pot

[/ QUOTE ]

Melchiades
11-17-2005, 01:29 PM
You really think villain will move in on us with air here? You think he will be that sure you didn't raise with some sort of ace preflop? Yikes.

ajizzle
11-17-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't think villain will. I simply said that it is more likely that he will in a live tourney. Maybe even as much as twice as likely to do it live than online. This is simply because there are more tells to pick up on live.

Toro
11-17-2005, 02:18 PM
The scary board froze me, so when villian checked, I quickly checked behind without thinking about all the possibilities. The big thing I neglected to think about was what if I was behind but he didn't have the an ace and the nuts.

This scary board could then be my way of picking up this 2100 chip pot, a very significant pot. After I checked, he sheepishly said "well, I'm sure you got this beat" and tabled QT.

Kudos to those who said to bet because I'm certain I would have picked up this pot with a bet of say 1200.