PDA

View Full Version : David Duval - Whiner + Sunday Prediction

04-13-2002, 07:47 PM
After Duval missed the cut, he whined that the course "was unplayable". Gee, David, isn't that the OTHER six of the top seven players in the world sitting at 1-6 on the leaderboard right now, topped by the defending champ & the current US Open champ?

Incidentally, whatta leaderboard it is, w/Olazabal right behind in 7th. The changes in the course have certainly caused the cream to rise to the top, although it will be interesting to see how it plays when it's dry & windy.

My pick tomorrow? It's almost suicidal to pick against Tiger in situations like this, but if there's anyone who's unflappable, it's Goosen. He came back from the choke at the US Open last year to cruise in the playoff, and he bitchslapped Mickelson all over the course last Sunday after starting bogey-double bogey. Plus, he's a better putter than Tiger and he's been blazing hot the last ten months.

I wouldn't put a lot of money on it, but I like the Goose, on the 2nd or 3rd playoff hole.

Bill Murphy

"Y ill? Pub, Mr. H."

04-13-2002, 08:32 PM
Gotta feel kinda bad for Duval, he splits the fairway only to land in a puddle.. His drop forced him to move 23 yards to the left!!

Some of the fairways at Augusta aren't even that wide..

Misses cut by one stroke, although it wouldn't have mattered in terms of a winner anyways.

04-13-2002, 10:04 PM
Goosen will crumble tomorrow against Tiger. Look for the V meister to be there in the end. Tiger wins in a play-off against Singh.

04-13-2002, 10:54 PM
I agree that Goosen is unflappable. I bet the golf will be sloppy tomorrow. Won't be as fun to watch as the Bob May-Tiger shootout at the PGA but still interesting.

04-14-2002, 12:02 AM
Singh's whining about mud was hilarious. There's a guy used to easy Tour rules about teeing it up when it's a little damp. And he can't adjust. He admitted that he got a lucky free drop on 10, but still whined about all the shots it cost him. He started having some problems around the greens, which wasn't due to mud. I don't think he'll be there, but we'll see I suppose.

Mud doesn't bother me much. Steaming sloppy green goose turds are another matter, but I've hit better irons out of them than VJ's shot at 15 today. And there's a way bigger flinch factor. (Not to imply I was ever in Singh's league but I have hit a couple OK shots.)

04-14-2002, 03:49 AM
Steaming sloppy green goose turds are another matter

Good Grief! Where do you play? Is this a play on Goosen's name? I don't watch much TV golf; I saw Goosen play for the first time today. God, his putting is sweet! It's hard to believe that someone whose putting mechanics are so perfect would have trouble with pressure.

04-14-2002, 01:17 PM
Goosen is not a naturally good putter. He has improved through a lot of work. Thus no surprise his mechanics are good. Trouble with pressure is a whole other thing.

As for the goose turds, that is an actual shot from the State High School Tournament one year. Golf course had a lot of geese on it and a federal prison right next to it. Saw no inmates but did have a very unfortunate lie on one hole. Hit the green, but my pants had to get washed. You just hope you don't take any right in the face.

04-15-2002, 12:33 PM
...after he was quoted as saying:

`Do I get a pair of green pants for finishing second?'

And on an unrelated pet peeve, could one golfer someday be interviewed without using the word "golf" in the interview.

I can just imagine if poker players sounded like golfers:

"That poker hand was really instrumental in me winning the poker tournament. I played that poker hand really well. Its important to play good poker hands."