PDA

View Full Version : reacting to chronic blind steals ITM

11-17-2005, 04:45 AM
i played my first 10+1 (and won, somehow) and one of the players when it got to about 4 players or less basically tried to steal a lot (PF raise of 30% later in game), not just the blinds but sometimes limpers as well. i was playing very tight the whole time, i had only stayed in by winning a few coinflips to avoid being blinded out. this player constantly pushed when i was short stacked and i barely made ITM at all actually.

when we got HU, he started with about 4.5x my stack. i found myself playing very marginal hands, calling his preflop raises with QJo, 96s, etc. and pushing with somewhat stronger hands (i won when i called his push with KJs and he showed Q6o).

what's the best way to react to these players once ITM, as well as on the bubble short stacked when his constant steals could blind me out? i'm interested in the type of hands i should be calling or raising back with, pushing with, etc.

here's the last hand for an example:

Seat 5: heret1k ( $4630 )
Seat 2: trackcitylad ( $3370 )
Trny:17483776 Level:9
Blinds(250/500)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to heret1k [ Ks Js ]
trackcitylad is all-In.
heret1k calls [2870].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 6s, Kh, 9d ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 7d ]
** Dealing River ** [ 7c ]
trackcitylad shows [ Qh, 6d ] two pairs, sevens and sixes.
heret1k shows [ Ks, Js ] two pairs, kings and sevens.
heret1k wins 6740 chips from the main pot with two pairs, kings and sevens.

tigerite
11-17-2005, 06:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
calling his preflop raises with QJo,

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard

[ QUOTE ]
96s

[/ QUOTE ]

Awful

[ QUOTE ]

Seat 5: heret1k ( $4630 )
Seat 2: trackcitylad ( $3370 )
Trny:17483776 Level:9
Blinds(250/500)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to heret1k [ Ks Js ]
trackcitylad is all-In.
heret1k calls [2870].

[/ QUOTE ]

Extremely standard

I am assuming by calling pf raises you are talking about pushes. You should only rarely be "just calling" raises less than all-in, and it depends on a lot of factors even then.

11-17-2005, 06:52 AM
yeah i sucked out a straight on the 96s though /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

by pf raises i didn't mean pushes, i meant usually 3-4x BB

tigerite
11-17-2005, 07:17 AM
I don't think you should be calling 3-4bb raise pf with 96s HU. Either push or just let it go. With shallow stacks, playing on the flop is going to be hard with a bloated pot of 7-8bb, which will be most of either of your stacks.