PDA

View Full Version : SO how long have you been playing 10/20 or lower?

flair1239
11-17-2005, 02:58 AM
Reason I am asking is I think I am nearing my "Poker Peak".

As I have moved up it has become more and more difficult to maintain what I consider to be a minimally acceptable win rate within a reasonable range of variance.

At the same time my rate of improvement is not as fast as it used to be. I really have to mentally labor to have a minor revalation.

I am thinking that this does not bode well for me at 15/30 or higher.

Have any of you said [censored] it, "Here I will Stay"?

Ryan11
11-17-2005, 03:04 AM
Since I started playing online I stick with 10/20 and lower. Sometimes I jump into a 15/30 or 20/40 game if I can find a good one but I find multi-tabling the 5/10-10/20 6max to be easier than playing 1-2 tables of 20/40 or 30/60 and I find I can make more money per hour playing the smaller games so that is where I stay.

Also my bankroll isn't large enough to play any higher on a regular basis as I rely on my poker income to pay the bills.

flair1239
11-17-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I started playing online I stick with 10/20 and lower. Sometimes I jump into a 15/30 or 20/40 game if I can find a good one but I find multi-tabling the 5/10-10/20 6max to be easier than playing 1-2 tables of 20/40 or 30/60 and I find I can make more money per hour playing the smaller games so that is where I stay.

Also my bankroll isn't large enough to play any higher on a regular basis as I rely on my poker income to pay the bills.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting... how long have you been playing?

Do you still grow your bankroll?

What are your plans in a few years as inflation eats away at your real income?

shant
11-17-2005, 03:23 AM
I've been at 10/20 for a few months with a couple failed shots at 15/30 and 20/40. I'm close to saying [censored] it all together.

flair1239
11-17-2005, 03:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been at 10/20 for a few months with a couple failed shots at 15/30 and 20/40. I'm close to saying [censored] it all together.

[/ QUOTE ]

again interesting, I had thought I had been seeing more downswing type posts from different people.

But I thought it was just because of the mediocre last four months I have been having, that had me in that mind frame.

So honestly.. how do you feel. Are you preparing for another run? How much do you feel you are improving these days?

My thing is I will have to try to go higher (15/30+)... I just hope I have the good sense to pull the pin and move down before I ruin all my hard work.

shant
11-17-2005, 03:37 AM
I've been trying to post responses to lots of hands and I also have been having sweat sessions with other players at the 10/20 level to make sure I'm not making huge errors. I don't really know how else to study because I've reread SSH a couple times already and read this forum everyday, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm quite ready to start a thread and declare myself as "DERG."

jason_t
11-17-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I've been trying to post responses to lots of hands and I also have been having sweat sessions with other players at the 10/20 level to make sure I'm not making huge errors. I don't really know how else to study because I've reread SSH a couple times already and read this forum everyday, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm quite ready to start a thread and declare myself as "DERG."

[/ QUOTE ]

omg. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

flair1239
11-17-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just uncanny. The last 2-3 months have been simaliar for me. I will run at like 2-2.5BB/100 for 12,000-18,000 hands then endure a deep downswing.

I have had the same thoughts, but I figured that the pattern is so consistent that it can't just be bad luck. I am a poor hand reader at the tables, so I am sure that is most of the problem... so that is what I am working at is hand reading.

But realistically where I am at with it and where I think you need to be to beat a 20/40 game... is just light years apart. I think if I had lots of time I might be able to do it.. but as it is time is something I don't have much of these days.

So what is your long range plan?

shant
11-17-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Find a steady chick to bang and stop playing this silly game.

That, or continue to grind at 10/20 until I can step up and spew it back.

toss
11-17-2005, 03:47 AM
I've been playing 5/10 and lower for a year. Sometimes I'll wander into 10/20 or 15/30. Highest I've gone with 25/50. I've decided I need to extensively review ToP, HPFAP, and scour the boards before I'm putting any serious hands into 10/20 and above. I want to keep moving higher and higher. What if I just decided to stay at .5/1 forever? (I almost did.)

BoxLiquid
11-17-2005, 03:55 AM
I took a few shots at 20/40 underbankrolled. I really don't think it's that different. The good players are better than 5/10 but surprisingly the fish there are just as bad as any other fish at 3/6.

flair1239
11-17-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

That, or continue to grind at 10/20 until I can step up and spew it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes unfortunately that would be my longrange plan as well.

Sadly, even if I do moe up and beat a 20/40 game.. I will inevitably try 30/60 and so on and so forth.

I wonder how I will react on the day I realise that I ahve become the fish in the game. I wonder if I will have the discipline and emotional security to step back after working so long and hard. It is kind of depressing that at some pont in this game I will have to admit defeat/failure and step back. Why do I play again?

toss
11-17-2005, 04:03 AM
Geez you're sounding so morose. Have some confidence in yourself. Be glad that you can pwn 5/10. So what if you move up and find that you're breakeven or worse at 30/60? Keep getting better and better. A step down in limits is only a preparation for your next assualt.

flair1239
11-17-2005, 04:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Geez you're sounding so morose. Have some confidence in yourself. Be glad that you can pwn 5/10. So what if you move up and find that you're breakeven or worse at 30/60? Keep getting better and better. A step down in limits is only a preparation for your next assualt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to come off that way.

I am grateful for where I am at. Poker has imporved my life tremendously.

Without poker, in my current situation I would need a part-time job.

With poker I can sit in my robe and drink Orange juice and talk to my girlfriend. So I am happy.

I am just trying to think ahead a bit. I put a lot of time and effort into this deal, and I am emotionally invested. So sometimes I go off on distant tangents of thought.

But no, I am not looking for pity by any means, just throwing out some honest thoughts.

sy_or_bust
11-17-2005, 04:16 AM
Do you have significant experience at the 10/20 6-max level? Or with the HUSH forum in general? If not, that's a problem you can clearly solve.

toss
11-17-2005, 04:56 AM
I'm just saying that you shoudn't be too down on yourself should you play a high limit and find that you're not winning.

Ryan11
11-17-2005, 04:56 AM
online for about 3 years. Poker for about 6 years in total.

Yes I grow my bankroll every month. I wouldnt feel safe with less than 1000 BB at my current limit even more when 6 tabling or more. I hope to move up to 30/60 semi regular in the future but find I can't make as much as when i 6 table the 10/20 short game. I guess I should give up a bit of earn to get some experience in a bigger game.

PokerBob
11-17-2005, 06:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Find a steady chick to bang and stop playing this silly game.

[/ QUOTE ]

you get deeper into my /images/graemlins/heart.gif every day.

PokerBob
11-17-2005, 06:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm quite ready to start a thread and declare myself as "DERG."

[/ QUOTE ]

I already requested that my 2+2 handle be changed to DERG. It was rejected for some reason. meh.

11-17-2005, 07:06 AM
Im not there yet but I have played around 30k hands and moved from 0.5/1 to 3/6. Hopefully I can become DERB and be a winner at 10/20 next summer.

I think you guys who are beating 10/20 and complaining dont realise what kind of people are playing the high limit online games. Its not degenerate gamblers; its damn smart people. I would guess that the average iq is 125+ at 30/60 and above. So be proud. Beating 10/20 online isnt easy.

molawn2mo
11-17-2005, 11:17 AM
Only 15 months, so I'm still a n00b, I guess. Never having had a bankroll issue, I have never played a hand at less than 3/6 because I figured that at the lower limits I would be "learning" or picking up "bad" habits.

As in life, we learn the most in our youngest years, an infant gains knowledge/awareness on an hourly basis while an octogenarian.... Poker seems no different. Alter your expectations.

It is quite interesting for me to read that you "... mentally labor to have a minor revelation." I mentally labor to try and improve mathematically but in no case will that laboring result in "revelation" or an epiphany. My epiphanies in poker and in life are seemingly a result of the opposite of "mentally laboring;" these moments, even though fewer and farther between as we get on in years, seem to manifest outside of the realm of the logical, mathematical mind (though they may the result of prior rigorous logical thought, I suppose). I guess what I am trying to say that you should trust your diligence in the learning process, not over-pursue it, relax more and let it flow. Trust yourself and be in the moment.

And to answer your question... Truthfully and without any self-aggrandizement, since I have met very little resisitance at the 3 levels of online play that I have played through, having withstood 1 250 BB downswing and several 150 BB downswings, but pretty much always being up and "playing with their money" at each level, I don;t feel as if I'll have a problem "settling" for a level commensurate with my ultimate abilities and risk tolerence. For me, it's a game first and a padding to income second. When it ceases to be a game I'll be outta there.

Hang in there. Things will get better.

flair1239
11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Only 15 months, so I'm still a n00b, I guess. Never having had a bankroll issue, I have never played a hand at less than 3/6 because I figured that at the lower limits I would be "learning" or picking up "bad" habits.

As in life, we learn the most in our youngest years, an infant gains knowledge/awareness on an hourly basis while an octogenarian.... Poker seems no different. Alter your expectations.

It is quite interesting for me to read that you "... mentally labor to have a minor revelation." I mentally labor to try and improve mathematically but in no case will that laboring result in "revelation" or an epiphany. My epiphanies in poker and in life are seemingly a result of the opposite of "mentally laboring;" these moments, even though fewer and farther between as we get on in years, seem to manifest outside of the realm of the logical, mathematical mind (though they may the result of prior rigorous logical thought, I suppose). I guess what I am trying to say that you should trust your diligence in the learning process, not over-pursue it, relax more and let it flow. Trust yourself and be in the moment.

And to answer your question... Truthfully and without any self-aggrandizement, since I have met very little resisitance at the 3 levels of online play that I have played through, having withstood 1 250 BB downswing and several 150 BB downswings, but pretty much always being up and "playing with their money" at each level, I don;t feel as if I'll have a problem "settling" for a level commensurate with my ultimate abilities and risk tolerence. For me, it's a game first and a padding to income second. When it ceases to be a game I'll be outta there.

Hang in there. Things will get better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think things are necessarily bad. It is just that when I first started 5/10 full and then 5/10 short, now 10/20 full. I just get the feeling I am not too far ahead of the "raging horde".

Now at the 5/10 levels, I feel I have a sufficient edge. Which is not to say that I am smacking them around and about to start making Bicyclekick style posts about how I destroy games. But yes comfortable at 5/10.

However through my first 5,000-7,000 hands at 10/20, I really don't see/feel a very comfortable edge at this point. Even moreso than I did starting 5/10, except it is more pronounced.

I realise that I will continue to adjust. But my mind is on the higher levels as well. When I look at how much effort/thought I had to put into 5/10 and now seeing that I have my work cut out for me at 10/20. I just wonder how many more times I can pull off the level jumping thing.

It just seems for some people these transitions are reltively effortless. The fact that I have to work so hard to do it makes me wonder if I have some inherent defect when it comes to poker.

brettbrettr
11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Now at the 5/10 levels, I feel I have a sufficient edge. Which is not to say that I am smacking them around and about to start making Bicyclekick style posts about how I destroy games. But yes comfortable at 5/10.

However through my first 5,000-7,000 hands at 10/20, I really don't see/feel a very comfortable edge at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my situation, precisely. I have a few more hands at 10/20 than you do, but my edge, if I have one, seems thin at best.

I have a pretty good idea of where I need to improve however, so all is not lost.

Like I've said before, as you move up you really need to swueeze eevry last bet of EV from +EV situations. And while calling down at smaller stakes became the norm for me, its clear that not folding enough post-flop--yes, even top-pair--is a leak.

There's also a lot more poker involved now, and a lot less cards. Last night, eg, I made a move with bottom pair where I c/r'd a LP bettor on a AJ2 borad. The guys numbers indicated to me that he'd have raised an ace pre-flop and I thought I could take the pot.

einbert
11-17-2005, 12:24 PM
Shant,

I understand that you are very frustrated about your position in the poker ecosystem right now. Poker is an incredibly frustrating pastime. As lucrative as it has been for me, it has caused more stress in my life than any other single event.

But I think there is a golden lining to it all. Yes, poker can be a harsh bitch. However, as cliche as it might be, worthwhile things simply don't come easy. Getting from $.50/$1.00 to 3/6, for me, for whatever reason (most likely I ran hot as [censored]), wasn't hard. I just kept playing and kept winning, and I kept moving up as my bankroll grew. It was nice to have the extra money, but it didn't add any satisfaction or self-esteem to my life. In my mind, I was simply exploiting the fact that other people were ignorant about poker and making money off of it. I didn't have to do any hard work to figure out concepts for myself--all the information I needed to maintain a steady win was found in these forums and SSHE.

As I kept winning, I got greedier and greedier for a higher hourly rate. So I moved on up to 5/10 6max. At first I ran very hot in that game, but eventually I started to lose--hard and fast. I remember my first 200 BB downswing and how utterly frustrating that was. At that point I knew that this game is going to be harder to beat than the microlimits. Part of me wanted to move back down to 3/6 where I could simply grind out a steady earn, but for whatever reason I decided to stick it out. Through a ton of hard work, dedication, and a complete reassessing of my priorities and thoughts in relation to each hand of poker, I have been able to push through 5/10 and move up into 10/20.

I have taken several shots at 15/30, one time dropping more than 150 BBs. I have come to the perhaps right, perhaps wrong conclusion that 15/30 is, again, "a totally different ballgame." And somedays I just feel like I am doomed to stay at 10/20 forever. Somedays I just want to move back down to 5/10 so I don't have to think so damn hard.

Maybe it is because I have something to prove to the world. Maybe it is because I'm greedy and want to be able to buy more toys. Maybe it is because I have a tremendous fear of working a 9-5 job where iI have to take orders from someone who is very likely lescompetent than me. But I have become very stubborn about my goals, and the main one is to think, learn, and improve as much as possible every single day.

Moving beyond 10/20 is not going to be easy for you or just about anyone else. Maybe in my run at 15/30 last summer I had run incredibly hot and won 150BBs instead of losing that much. But sooner or later I would have to improve my game beyond what it takes to beat 10/20, or I would just end up donating it all back. And while at times the climb can be incredibly tiring, frustrating, and at times I simply want to give up and go back to 3/6 and mindlessly grind out 8 tables of money, I choose to press on.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't give up. And, poker is difficult. It took me a damn long time to accept that truth. But it's basically the principle truth here. The great thing about this truth, though, is that once we realize and accept this truth (both intellectually and emotionally), we transcend it. As soon as I accepted that each rung up the limit ladder wasn't going to be as easy to navigate as the transition from 2/4 to 3/6, it became much more easy to accept hard work, downswings, and patience. And I feel like the steps I've had to take to get from 3/6 to where I am today have really transformed my personality--some people might call it "character building". So why not allow my character to be built some more, especally if it means more money in my pocket, right?

Anyway I hope this doesn't come off as a bragging post. I think it might. But it was intended to be a post of encouragement, maybe even of inspiration /images/graemlins/smile.gif. I've never had a close relationship with brevity, but if I did perhaps my post would look more like this:
Hey, I'm fighting the same fight you are. And yeah, it's not easy. It's hard as [censored]. But I'm not gonna give up because damn it, I'm good enough, smart enough, and greedy enough to do the work required to get there. And so are you!

So remember while you are going through the toils and minefields of the daily struggle, you're not alone. It's not easy for you, but it's not easy for anyone else either. It's hard as [censored], but you will always have friends here who are going through the same [censored], who you can lean on during the droughts and celebrate with when the harvest is plentiful.

Good luck.

11-17-2005, 12:28 PM
Once you get up into the 15/30 and above range I think it's time to stop playing Limit poker and focus on NL poker. Like people have posted, anyone playing at 15/30 or above knows what they are doing. You won't find too many degenerate gamblers, etc. In the NL game, however, I believe you may find more of this sort of thing (because of TV, popularity, etc.)

BTW, I've played both and I've found NL players to be much worse in general.

paperboyNC
11-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Particularly online, the jump from small-stakes to mid-stakes is significant. You can make money at 5/10 just by playing straightforward solid poker. You can stay away from most marginal situations and esp. with rakeback and bonuses come out ahead.

Once you move up, you are going to run into a lot more aggression and the most difficult thing is to find a balance between calling down too much and folding too much. There are hands where you should call down with AKo and other hands where you should fold TPTK. As you move up though, you have to error more on the side of calling down too much rather than folding too much.

I guess this is a long-winded post so I'll end it here.

molawn2mo
11-17-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like I've said before, as you move up you really need to swueeze eevry last bet of EV from +EV situations. And while calling down at smaller stakes became the norm for me, its clear that not folding enough post-flop--yes, even top-pair--is a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me add one to the above list. That is, encouraging villain, when behind and drawing to poor odds, to not fold and to see the turn and/or river for 1 or 2 BB.

[ QUOTE ]
There's also a lot more poker involved now, and a lot less cards. Last night, eg, I made a move with bottom pair where I c/r'd a LP bettor on a AJ2 borad. The guys numbers indicated to me that he'd have raised an ace pre-flop and I thought I could take the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty standard read that you must make. The next level of awareness becomes when Villain knows you know this. Now the metafun starts!

Lastly, since I suspect that you and Flair come from the 4-6 tabler training school, you may also be finding out that you can not continue that mode of operation at least until you get more familiar with the differences inherit at this higher limit.

Emmitt2222
11-17-2005, 01:14 PM
I /images/graemlins/heart.gif you. Come back soon and be my mentor or something.

To flair, I am still at 2/4 after over a year of playing. I played 20k hands at 3/6 6max and broke even and I felt uncomfotable so I moved back down.

SenecaJim
11-17-2005, 02:52 PM
I've been playing off and on for over couple years but just started putting in 40-50 hours a week full time about 3 months ago (live poker). So far I am making acceptable wage but 600 hrs. is nothing. I live in constant awareness of standard deviation and try to play like I could lose it ALL tommorow to help keep me focused.

I play 5-10 and 10-20 when available. (limited choices, small casio) but always able to play at anytime. 5-10 is main offering. 3-6 more rare than 10-20 even. so, when I first started going bout a year ago, would have liked wetting feet at smaller but didn't have choice.

A caino further away has bigger games (not always).

Thing is with limited choices, when you play 10-20 and it is highest game in room, you can get some tough (at least toughest in area) players. The aggression level is main thing. I play the way i feel is correct to the best of my current ability and do decent, but it's like I am so surprised sometimes when I win a pot.

At the lower limits it's like " How can you keep calling with that crap" to " How could you have raised me on the turn with that hand?" (These are private thoughts. I would never, and have never, commented on another player's play in a negative way)

Main thing is experience, experience , experience along with the study. I have spent HOURS studying the 2+2 books but you have to learn by doing ( or least I do). Frequently at the table, after I have already maybe pooched the hand, i"m not even sure, will run home to "look it back up" or post here.

Even at the table , ex post facto, I will think "Oooohhhh, THAT"S what ED meant by this, or that's why David or Mason said this can get you into trouble".

So besides working on obvious skills of hand reading, etc. I am really trying to concentrate on thinking ahead. Now, some hands I used to think looked good I will think " what the hell am i going to do with this if such and such hits the turn and i check or bet and get raised, blah, blah.

And focus. Playing the best poker you can ALL THE TIME. Those guys tell you that flat out, but you gotta live it to feel it. (I'm light-years away from that right now)

Someday, maybe a year from now or more, I will being going on down to bigger casino and playing 20-40. It will take a LOTTA WORK. Maybe I will burn out. Maybe I won't have time later I do now. Maybe I won't be good enough. Whatever. I love the game of poker. Hell, I could be dead before I even get there. One day at a time, baby.(baby=scotty tribute). Right now, i'm lovin' it and strivin', and it will end where it ends.

IT's a real study in life, one of things i enjoy. We all know how frustrating the game can be. Last night (granted, it was 4am at the time and we have been going 15 hours or so, a young guy about 23 or so sped away from the table and it was obvious he was about to cry. I mind my own business but I wanted to tell the kid, and not to be an ass but cause I felt sorry for him (would still bust him out, dont' get me wrong) that he might wanna do somehting a little less stessful for him, ya know. I can see what Al means about studying people at the table, well, he is a psychologist, but human nature is on parade under the stress of poker.

Anyway, good luck to all of you and myself on moving up someday. We'll land where we land.

shant
11-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Thanks einbert. That was a great post. I owe you a beer.

einbert
11-17-2005, 02:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks einbert. That was a great post. I owe you a beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/heart.gif

I really can't wait to get out to Vegas one day and meet many of you guys. I'm only 19 right now but I do plan on doing that as soon as possible.

BoxLiquid
11-17-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

IT's a real study in life, one of things i enjoy. We all know how frustrating the game can be. Last night (granted, it was 4am at the time and we have been going 15 hours or so, a young guy about 23 or so sped away from the table and it was obvious he was about to cry. I mind my own business but I wanted to tell the kid, and not to be an ass but cause I felt sorry for him (would still bust him out, dont' get me wrong) that he might wanna do somehting a little less stessful for him, ya know.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably needs to find a new hobby. Not to be rude..

MaxPower
11-17-2005, 06:05 PM
When you do take a shot it is probably best to be very strict about it. It is difficult though. When I took a shot at 30/60 I told myself that I would stop playing it if I lost 80BB. Well it took me a long to time to lose that 80BB and by that time I was so convinced that I could beat that game that I kept going and lost another 120BB. Luckily I won enough at the lower limits during that time to cover my losses.

I think the only way for me to improve is to challenge myself. Sometimes you have to lose money when you challenge yourself either because you run bad or play bad. Sometimes you are capable of playing good enough to beat a certain game, but you are not capable of playing at your best enough of the time (A big problem for me).

So I think you should continue to take shots, but don't do it in a way that will make you miserable. I don't regret taking that shot, but I do regret not keeping the agreement I made with myself.

Piiop
11-17-2005, 07:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once you get up into the 15/30 and above range I think it's time to stop playing Limit poker and focus on NL poker. Like people have posted, anyone playing at 15/30 or above knows what they are doing. You won't find too many degenerate gamblers, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just want to point out that this is not true at all.

bicyclekick
11-21-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which is not to say that I am smacking them around and about to start making Bicyclekick style posts about how I destroy games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Instead you're going to make posts about how you really aren't very good and aren't going to be able to beat the higher games and take another shot at me.

I really don't get why you have so much hostility towards me...but that must be how people do it up in lindstrom.

Alex/Mugaaz
11-21-2005, 08:52 PM
I've been playing for about 9months at 2c/4c and play 5/10 now. My rise has been going a little slower lately due to a combination of games get much harder and the size higher stakes hard to ignore.

11-21-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think things are necessarily bad. It is just that when I first started 5/10 full and then 5/10 short, now 10/20 full. I just get the feeling I am not too far ahead of the "raging horde".

However through my first 5,000-7,000 hands at 10/20, I really don't see/feel a very comfortable edge at this point. Even moreso than I did starting 5/10, except it is more pronounced.

I realise that I will continue to adjust. But my mind is on the higher levels as well. When I look at how much effort/thought I had to put into 5/10 and now seeing that I have my work cut out for me at 10/20. I just wonder how many more times I can pull off the level jumping thing.

It just seems for some people these transitions are reltively effortless. The fact that I have to work so hard to do it makes me wonder if I have some inherent defect when it comes to poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flair, for what it's worth your PT stats look pretty good from the times I've played against you. Come to think of it, everyone's stats look good when they play against me. Maybe you just need to find more fish like me!

JacksonTens
11-21-2005, 11:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which is not to say that I am smacking them around and about to start making Bicyclekick style posts about how I destroy games.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Instead you're going to make posts about how you really aren't very good and aren't going to be able to beat the higher games and take another shot at me.

[/ QUOTE ]

No hostility here. And I doubt thats what he the poster meant.

This is a good thread.

JT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

bicyclekick
11-21-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

[/ QUOTE ]

No hostility here. And I doubt thats what he the poster meant.

This is a good thread.

JT /images/graemlins/spade.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah this isn't the first time he's taken a jab at me. You may not mean anything, he does.

SNOWBALL138
11-21-2005, 11:55 PM
I've been playing since august 2004. I was multitabling .5/1 and 1/2 for up until five months ago. Then I played 2/4 and adjusted to it pretty quickly. I was doing very well, so I got arrogant and moved up to 5/10 after making a brief stopover at 3/6. I lost most of my bankroll at 5/10. Then I played 3/6 6max and lost even more. Then I moved back to 2/4 and ran bad...

Now I'm back to multitabling 1/2 which is very depressing. I suppose things like this build character. Meh, I'd rather have my bankroll back. As stressful as all of this can be, I still prefer poker to working some crummy part-time student job.

Best,
Snowball

flair1239
11-22-2005, 01:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Flair, for what it's worth your PT stats look pretty good from the times I've played against you. Come to think of it, everyone's stats look good when they play against me. Maybe you just need to find more fish like me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike, you are far from a fish.

flair1239
11-22-2005, 01:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't get why you have so much hostility towards me...but that must be how people do it up in lindstrom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyhow, the post here was not a shot.. it was a figure of speech.

The post in Mid-high was poor wording. I guess I could have said... around February-March... Mid-high became less strategy oriented and more winrate/results oriented.

Also more anecdotal type hands that fewer people could relate too. For instance "$xxxx/$xxxx hand vs. (Insert name of specific player that less than 20 people on the board have played against)"

In retrospect, I should not have singled you out specifically, however you are the person that comes to mind when I think of those types of posts.

BTW, most people in Lindstrom are much nicer than me. I am originally from the Twin Cities, there are many more assholes there.

meep_42
11-22-2005, 02:24 AM
I've been playing a year and a half, started Nov. 04 at .5/1 and currently play 3/6 6m with stops at 1/2, 2/4, 3/6 full and 6m, and a 7k stint at 5/10 full. I recently took 2 months off online and used to play about 40-50 hours/month. I play mostly B&M 6/12-8/16 as i'm keeping my online bankroll seperate from my live bankroll, but I might get in a 10/20 that's good sometime.

I feel like my learning has definitely plateaued, as I don't get the revelations that I used to reading here. I also could use some work on trying to push people off weak hands and reading when they're making a play based upon their reading of my hand. Reading hands well and setting up players for the maximum value.

I'm not stopping moving up, but I am (overly) cautious.

-d

flair1239
11-22-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I also could use some work on trying to push people off weak hands and reading when they're making a play based upon their reading of my hand. Reading hands well and setting up players for the maximum value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, exactly.

This is an area I have been giving a lot of thought.

IMO, these hands do not post well on the board. Because they look very simaliar to spewing. So it is hard to get an in-depth conversation going on these situations.

brettbrettr
11-22-2005, 02:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel like my learning has definitely plateaued, as I don't get the revelations that I used to reading here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the same boat. A few things helped, lots.

Read the Mid high forums. Lots of good stuff there.

Read some HUSH [censored]. Less good, but still some stuff.

Get some people to watch you play, talk about hands, etc. There's a group of 10/20 player who do this--its only come off a couple of times so far--but it was extremely benficial the first time. The second time was just me and shant, and I was drunk, so that wasn't really great. (Sorry, brother.) But the time before there were three of us, and we were even sitting at the same table. No colluding or other such nonsense, but, really this is a good way to spot leaks and talk about hands and whatnot. The other guys were making folds I wouldn't think to make. They were doing other things which I liked and thought about adding to my game.

But, yes, plateued was the exact word I used. And I misspelled it then too.

Sucks. Its fairly simple to be competent at this game. But its really [censored] hard to be great.

bottomset
11-22-2005, 02:51 AM
I've been playing for about a yr now, only serious since about April

I'm inbetween 3/6 and 5/10 6max .. not sure where my peak is