PDA

View Full Version : My LA adventure

J.A.Sucker
11-17-2005, 02:17 AM
I went down to the City of Commerce to take in the wonderful scenery this past weekend, and I've been asked to write a trip report about it. I don't want to write anything coherent, mainly because it'll be too long, so instead, I'm going to write a stream of consciousness.

Drove down to LA on Saturday. Made good time. No rooms at Commerce for Sat, so stayed at the Omni downtown. Good choice, Gabe. Valeted my car. No I don't want a carwash. Got on the list for 1-2 game, and sat in a 10-20 NL game to wait. A huge arguement ensued not 30 seconds after I sat down. This sparked many other arguements. They should put this game in a cage. I left 14 1/2 minutes later and was stuck 1 headache. 1/2 game was OK, but not great. Within 1.5 hours, I was stuck 5K. Played until 2 in the morning. Left stuck 500. Every time I would run it with an all-in, they'd make it, regardless of how bad of shape they were in. It was pretty amusing, actually. I was tired, so I galloped back to the Omni and crashed. The valet didn't steal the change from my car because I was smart enough to close the container that it was in.

Woke up refreshed on Sunday and checked out of the Omni. Valeted my car again. I still don't want a carwash. I was seated in a 1/2 game 15 minutes later. Played until 4:30 PM, when I was supposed to meet Gabe et al for dinner. I was never stuck or up more than 1K for the session. I left stuck 200 for the day, 700 for the trip. My biggest win was finding out the story about how come they have rubber Pai Gow Dice Cups at the Bike now. Some quiet Vietnamese guy was at the table and mentioned Pai Gow. I said I loved the dice thingie (rattle, rattle, rattle, BAM!!!). He did too, but said at the Bike it doesn't make noise any more. Because of him. I can't tell the story - you'll just have to meet him yourself. Went to Gabe's house. He's living the life. Nice mullet from back in the day. Nicer gold records on the wall. Met Rick and Andy for the first time. Both outstanding A+ guys. Josh W came over too and we left for dinner. Snakehead got lost in traffic, but somehow appeared like a case of syphillis at the restaurant. Boom Pow Surprise!!! I like snakehead, because he may be the only guy with a drier sense of humor than me. We went to some Thai restaurant. I wanted to marry all 23 chicks that they had working there. I recommend this restaurant to everyone. Good choice, Gabe. A bunch of really tall, really young 2+2ers met us at dinner, too. Good guys, the whole bunch. We exchanged good stories, but the best two involved a well-known old-time bookie standing in his underwear (ask Rick) and a guy CRAWLING ACROSS THE TABLE AND GRABBING A GUY BY HIS FACE!!! (ask snakehead). Good times. Drank lots of beer and went back to Gabe's. Drank more beer and played poker. Andy is not good at triple draw. I'm good at drinking beer. Badugi is Korean for "puppy" an apt name because to play it, you've gotta be one sick puppy. I love it. Andy lost with a badugi 5. He should have kicked the dealer in the nuts, but didn't. That Andy is a real gentelman. I won 8 bucks in the game, probably because I kept taking chips from Josh's stack when he wasn't looking. I said goodbye to Rick, Andy, snakehead, et al, and went back to Commerce. I saw a nice looking 3/6 combo game (half stud hi, half hold em). I was going to play, but realized that I was really tired, so I didn't.

I woke up fresh on Monday and played 1/2 again. No bigger games going for awhile, until they got a 4/8 combo. Mike l says I'm a favorite in that game, with his opinion coming from 400 miles away. Flicker is the man. I won like 7K playing 1/2 all day. Best hand was the following: I raise on the button with J7o. I get 3 bet by a young pro, Junebug. He bets the flop that came A-J-3 (2 spades). I called. He checked the turn (rag). I checked. You aren't checkraising me, Mr. Man! River, 7. He bets, I pop him, he calls. He loses and gets pissed. I got challenged to play headsup whatever limit I wanted. Any time, anywhere. That was funny as hell. Josh liked it too. Josh is the world's worst sweater, even worse than Clark. That lady in the 9 seat was good at poker. Josh and I went to dinner at some steakhouse near the Commerce. Very good, but I don't know the name. We ate these scallops with horseraddish and broiled in hollandaise sauce. Incredible. I had French Onion soup and we had a nice Cab (Stag's Leap, 2002). Too bad they didn't have 2001. Both had pepper steak. Yummy stuff. I bought Josh dinner since he spared me from eating any pig slop for the day at Commerce. Good times, good conversation. Mike l called again and said I was a favorite in the big game at the Commerce. We don't even know what game it is. Mike l. is funny. My tummy hurt badly after leaving the restaurant, so I went back and relaxed for a bit. Went downstairs and played a bit of 1/2 stud. Lost a couple of big pots, and stuck 1000. Flicker was playing, and had a big booger hanging out of his nose. Eventually the booger disappeared. Setup, please. Got a shorthanded 2/4 hold em game going. 1 live spot. I played for 3 hours, and never showed down a winning hand, playing 4-6 handed. Somehow, I was only stuck 1 rack (5K). Heard some good stories at the table. You will not hear these stories. Played with Korean JJ. He's an excellent player, but I'm sure that Mike L. will say he isn't. I played until 4AM and went upstairs, tired of poker. I crashed soon after.

Woke up Tuesday and bundled up all of my money. I had 500 bucks more than I came with. After hotels and gas, this is probably like $23.75 in profit. I guess I am a favorite in the game. Drove home. Made good time. Damn, I need a carwash.

Josh W
11-17-2005, 02:39 AM
you GUESS you are a favorite in the game?

Grow some....hair. Then you'll know for sure.

Good times. I may respond more later.

Josh

andyfox
11-17-2005, 12:49 PM
"Flicker was playing, and had a big booger hanging out of his nose. Eventually the booger disappeared. Setup, please."

I've read this line thrice now and laughed out loud each time. Funny the things that stick on our minds. And to the cards.

Dominic
11-17-2005, 02:44 PM
good report...but how on earth were you stuck 5K in a 1-2 game???

turnipmonster
11-17-2005, 02:55 PM
by losing 25 big bets? nice report sucker!

Dominic
11-17-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
by losing 25 big bets? nice report sucker!

[/ QUOTE ]

1-2 HUNDRED! Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

I thought he meant 1-2 NL.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

shant
11-17-2005, 03:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Boom Pow Surprise!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Best part.

Jeffage
11-17-2005, 03:12 PM
Because he was playing ONE-TWO, not 1-2.

Jeff

11-17-2005, 04:16 PM
<< I wanted to marry all 23 chicks that they had working there. >>

=)

J.A.Sucker
11-17-2005, 05:10 PM
This thing was an epic booger, I mean it was huge. Unfortunately, it's burned into my psyche for life. I hope can share my pain with you, if only for a bit.

J.A.Sucker
11-17-2005, 05:12 PM
I was wondering the same thing /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Actually, the game wasn't as good as I had expected. It was much better on Sunday, though.

tpir90036
11-17-2005, 05:58 PM
I don't know any of the people involved in this story... but it's still a good one and made me smile. I am also jealous that I am not more of a free spirit like you guys seem to be.

Please post more stuff like this so that I can pump up my boring 9-5 life vicariously.

-tpir

DeadMoneyOC
11-17-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I got challenged to play headsup whatever limit I wanted. Any time, anywhere. That was funny as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

And here I am thinking that is a macho low limit thing that stops when you start playing bigger...

J.A.Sucker
11-18-2005, 12:54 AM
I hadn't seen this in a long time. It was hilarious.

J.A.Sucker
11-18-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm sure your life is more exciting than mine. I'm not kidding.

Rick Nebiolo
11-18-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
We exchanged good stories, but the best two involved a well-known old-time bookie standing in his underwear (ask Rick) and a guy CRAWLING ACROSS THE TABLE AND GRABBING A GUY BY HIS FACE!!! (ask snakehead).

[/ QUOTE ]

Best story centered around a soft drink. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ Rick

Clarkmeister
11-18-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Josh is the world's worst sweater, even worse than Clark

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be, but I know he can't be worse than Gabe. That dude is the grim reaper.

Josh W
11-18-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Josh is the world's worst sweater, even worse than Clark

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be, but I know he can't be worse than Gabe. That dude is the grim reaper.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's cuz...

This dealah always kill him!

(had to be there)

J