PDA

View Full Version : gotta just play a big pot right?

jomatty
11-17-2005, 02:02 AM
party 400 game
i have around 500. all players other than short stack have between 400 and 500 left after preflop action.

i limp behind two players with KJhK4d. a few more players limp and then the big blind (short stack) raises 22. i call and so do 4 others. 6 to the flop with around 130 bucks in the pot.
the flop comes KJ2 with the KJ spades. ive got the nuts but am very very uncomforatable. the short stack goes all in for his last 30 and im next to act.
is this just a clear pot raise? im uncomforatable because if i get called almost any card will be scary and there are likely to be some combo draws that could be a favorite over me. there is still going to be a lot of money left to bet on the turn and other than a J or 2 i dont know what i want to see. if i could put it all in now id be fine with it and even if there is a wrap flush draw thats a favorite there is plenty of money in the pot to compensate me but i hate to put in 190 right now and then be in an uncomforatable turn scenario no matter what.
i dont know what im looking for here, as i dont see any line other than a full reraise as being viable, as any free/cheap card is likely to be disastrous. i would consider it more if i wasnt partially blocking myself with a J.
would anyone just pass this hand in this scenario preflop. this is a very good flop to my hand and i still am uncomforatable with my situation.
matty

joewatch
11-17-2005, 02:25 AM
This is an easy pot raise. If you are called by 1 person, then there will be 610 in the pot. With just 250 left to bet to win 860 on the turn, you are putting all in on the turn no matter what the card.

If the conditions are right (ie, aggressive), then I see flat calling, with a good chance of somebody raising behind you, then pushing it all in. But if the table is passive, you can't give a cheap card here.

Wheatsauce
11-17-2005, 02:59 AM
I don't see calling as much of an option here. I would be as likely to call as to fold in this situation, which is not bloody likely. Any non spade 8 or lower, the 2 of spades, any J, and the case K and your hand still seems fine. That is over half the deck (I think...by my count 24/45 - 53.3%), so I wouldn't say that almost any card is a scare card.

As far as preflop, I think your call is just fine. Especially if the two limpers ahead of you called the raise. You would be getting something like 4-1 with pocket KKds, not too shabby.

BluffTHIS!
11-17-2005, 06:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is an easy pot raise. If you are called by 1 person, then there will be 610 in the pot. With just 250 left to bet to win 860 on the turn, you are putting all in on the turn no matter what the card.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the correct advice given your stack size. You won't be left out of position in a situation where it would be wrong to put the rest of it in. If a bad card does come on the turn you stick it in because getting 1 caller gives you a little more than the correct odds you need to fill, despite having one of those outs in your hand, the J. And when you push when the flush card comes, you often will get a straight draw only to fold and save you the pot when he would have gotten there on the river.

jomatty
11-17-2005, 08:20 AM
thats pretty much what i was thinking. i guess if you want to avoid uncomforatable situations then PLO is not a good game.
i think there were some other considerations going on after reflecting this morning. i was stuck playing limit he and had bought in for the min. and salvaged my night with a nice comeback and was waiting for the blinds before quitting for the night. i think this greatly added to my discomfort. i know all the reasons that shouldnt matter...but anyways.
if anyones interested i raised the pot and miracle of miracles everyone else folded. i lost the main pot when the short stack hit a Q to make broadway with a very weak hand but felt good not to get stacked, lol.
thx
matty

Tilt
11-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah, raise it way up usually.

If you are pretty sure that someone behind you will jack it up you can call. I would want to be about 80% sure of that. If you call and they don't raise, its not an impossible hand to get away from, and a blank card affords you a alot of profitable options for the turn. But this is a rare line I believe.

beset7
11-17-2005, 10:56 AM
why ya so uncomfortable? It's a draw heavy board buts that OK. Top set isn't going to win much for you on a dry board. Really, sticking in a bunch of chips with the nuts on the flop is going to work out for you in the long-term, trust me. Nobody is freerolling here so it could never be a mistake to take whatever line gets most or all your stack in the middle.

jomatty
11-17-2005, 11:53 AM
i understand that right now the worst case scentario is that a hand is a slight favorite over mine and that dosent matter with the money allready in the pot and my chance of filling up. i dont know why these situations make me uncomforatable i guess that since ive played so much more big bet holdem putting in half my stack on the turn drawing (when a flush/str8 card comes and i have to since i have tremendous pot odds) makes me uncomforatable.
ty
matty

beset7
11-17-2005, 12:22 PM
Yeah I understand the sensation. In NLHE, you can often get action on huge 90/10 edges and so forth. PLO is much more like LHE or even card counting in blackjack where you are often pushing small edges with big money and this can be unsettling. Just make sure you are rolled for the games you are playing and revel in the variance because it goes both ways, thankfully.