PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Good Actors

theBruiser500
11-17-2005, 01:27 AM
I don't know if he can be considered a new and rising actor but Phillip Seymour Hoffman is really a top actor, on par with other actors like Deniro, Dustin Hoffman etc. He's really great in Capote. Even when he has little parts like in Big Lebowski he really nailed it. He's also very good in Love Liza.

Sightless
11-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Ed Norton?

jason_t
11-17-2005, 01:29 AM
De Niro has fallen apart lately imo but Hoffman is still one of the best actors in the world.

banditbdl
11-17-2005, 01:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
De Niro has fallen apart lately imo but Hoffman is still one of the best actors in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie still isn't that good with him, but Hoffman absolutely carried Meet the Fockers on his back from start to finish. The gap between him and DeNiro was jarring.

11-17-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if he can be considered a new and rising actor but Phillip Seymour Hoffman is really a top actor, on par with other actors like Deniro, Dustin Hoffman etc. He's really great in Capote. Even when he has little parts like in Big Lebowski he really nailed it. He's also very good in Love Liza.

[/ QUOTE ]

How 'bout Neil Patrick Harris

theBruiser500
the point isn't that dustin hoffman and denire are bad now, simply that seymour hoffman is rising to their level of greatness.

Exitonly
not sure he can be considered new anymore, but Jake Gylenhaal (botched spelling) is the [censored]. Really.

Also, Ryan Reynolds.

And Ed Norton i guess same thing goes, i dont considerhim up and coming thouhg, he's arrived (same as the other two i mentioend though)

thirddan
11-17-2005, 01:37 AM
its true that actors like deniro and pacino have fallen off dramatically in their recent efforts, but their previous body of work should maintain them as two of the best film actors ever...

Cunning Linguist
11-17-2005, 01:41 AM
Peter Sarsgaard was awesome in Garden State and Jarhead.

banditbdl
11-17-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the point isn't that dustin hoffman and denire are bad now, simply that seymour hoffman is rising to their level of greatness.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry for the hijack, and Hoffman has always ruled. I can't remember a movie he was in that I saw where he wasn't one of the unquestioned highlights. Somebody needs to find him a Groundog Day type role where he can play a strong comedic lead.

astroglide
11-17-2005, 01:55 AM
sam rockwell

thatpfunk
11-17-2005, 01:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
sam rockwell

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like him and Peter Sarsgaard (Cunning's choice) are very good at giving their characters a specific personality that shines through, especially in supporting roles.

Maulik
11-17-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, De Niro has been taking on trash roles.

istewart
11-17-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure about that?

http://www.gorillapants.com/images/scoremarlonbob.jpg

ChipWrecked
11-17-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You sure about that?

http://www.gorillapants.com/images/scoremarlonbob.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.cinemablend.com/moviereviews/rafe/dvdblend/070405hide.jpg

Yes.

housenuts
11-17-2005, 04:07 AM
hayden christensen?

Quinn Warren
11-17-2005, 06:09 AM
Peter Sarsgaard is in a class by himself. If you haven't seen Shattered Glass....

It's also amazing to see how capable Hayden Christensen is in that film when given some decent dialogue.

housenuts
11-17-2005, 08:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]

It's also amazing to see how capable Hayden Christensen is in that film when given some decent dialogue.

[/ QUOTE ]

i was joking but all i've ever seen is star wars

daveymck
11-17-2005, 09:11 AM
Theres a British critic who has said and defended what he said that Viggo Mortensen will become the deniro of his age.

imported_The Vibesman
11-17-2005, 09:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Theres a British critic who has said and defended what he said that Viggo Mortensen will become the deniro of his age.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was the guy I was thinking of when I opened this.

diebitter
11-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Was it Mark Kermode?

He's good - I may not agree with him on lots, but he has passion and is very articulate and clear on why he liked and didn't like specific films. And his rants are very funny!

daveymck
11-17-2005, 09:28 AM
Yes he said it a few times on 5 live, apprently his film reviews are the second biggest webcast downloaded on the net.

Yes his rants are good and he does express his views in a way that even if you disagree with him you are clear why he thinks what he does.

diebitter
11-17-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes he said it a few times on 5 live, apprently his film reviews are the second biggest webcast downloaded on the net.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not surprised, he's very good.

Here's a link to the download if any film fans are interested, but you'll need to scroll down and find Mark Kermode's Film Review

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/genres/artsdrama/audiolist.shtml

If you do click on his link you get a popup realplayer, but there's a 'download this show' option to get a 30 minute radio show on a 12-13Mb mp3. I recommend this to anyone who likes films (and doesn't mind an English accent /images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

PS. There's also another film show on this page, oneclick/film that is a 1-hour streaming program, that is okay. This week is a 1 hour interview with Terry Gilliam, talking about all his films!

daveymck
11-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Its free on Itunes as well and I guess other podcast sites, and you can RSS it as I have done on my Wizzrss extension on Firefox. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

diebitter
11-17-2005, 09:41 AM
These podcast sites, do they contain free shows from all over in mp3 format? If so, can you post a link or two here?

I'm such a n00b! (I'd have just PM'd this, but I suspect other n00bs out there might benefit from this too).

UCF THAYER
11-17-2005, 09:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's almost 50?
imdb (http://imdb.com/name/nm0001557/)

Lady Dont Tekno
11-17-2005, 09:45 AM
Sarsgaard is a great choice. I also try to watch anything w/ Cillian Murphy in it, the guy from 28 Days Later and Scarecrow from Batman Begins.

daveymck
11-17-2005, 09:51 AM
I am a noob too the site I goto is Podcat (http://www.podcast.net)

If you have itunes there is a tab which might be under audiobooks havent got it on this pc, you can subscribe to it and it downloads any new version into itunes. You can download it for free and use it even if dont have an ipod.

There may be other ways not sure.

samjjones
11-17-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to 1996! PSH has been around a while now.

samjjones
11-17-2005, 10:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Very good.

WDC
11-17-2005, 10:36 AM
I think if someone would give Steve Zahn a chance to do something othert than stupid sidekick roles he would be very good. Jake Gyallanhall and Heath ledger should both be mentioned just for doing the gay cowboy movie. Topher Grace may also turn out to be a pleasent surprise.

samjjones
11-17-2005, 10:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think if someone would give Steve Zahn a chance to do something othert than stupid sidekick roles he would be very good.

[/ QUOTE ]
But he's sooooooooo good at this...

CollinEstes
11-17-2005, 11:07 AM
Here is a name everybody should remember...

Lou Pucci

He is going to be a great actor and if you have the chance to see Thumbsucker you should.

CrazyEyez
11-17-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
sam rockwell

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like him and Peter Sarsgaard (Cunning's choice) are very good at giving their characters a specific personality that shines through, especially in supporting roles.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sarsgaard and Rockwell are awesome. Check out The Salton Sea with Sarsgaard and Val Kilmer. Also contains a brilliant performance by Vincent D'Onofrio.

Joaquin Phoenix isn't up and coming and has a big movie opening tomorrow, but I think he's tremendous. I hear a lot of people say they don't like him, which I don't understand. People who like him mention Gladiator which was sweet, but check out Return to Paradise from the late 90's. Contains a rare dramatic role from Vince Vaughn. Phoenix is amazing in it.

People hate this movie but I also loved him in Signs. Opposite end of the spectrum from Gladiator, but both played to perfection.

MrMon
11-17-2005, 02:45 PM
Hardly an up and comer, but certainly young and talented, Ewan McGregor has got to be on the list.

theBruiser500
11-17-2005, 05:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he was also in flightplan and quite good. that reminds me of the weird guy from adapation, "and don't forget sir, they're all endangered too."

theBruiser500
11-17-2005, 05:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

no way. btw guys, when you name people could you please provide a movie they were in too.

nyc999
11-17-2005, 05:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to 1996! PSH has been around a while now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. PSH is great - for a while he did an off-Broadway 2-man show along with John C. Reilly where they flipped parts every other night.

samjjones
11-17-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
WTF? Viggo is only 15 years younger than Deniro. That's not even a generation.

swede123
11-17-2005, 06:04 PM
I can't believe people mentioning Ed Norton and Ewan McGregor and Phillip Seymore Hoffman for this. Each of these guys have been making quality movies for ten years or more.

Saarsgard and Gyllenhaal are good picks though, I would definitely consider both of these guys more "newcomers" on the scene than the guys mentioned above. I know he's really only known for one movie but what about Zach Braff (the guy behind and starring in Garden State)? Based on his work and performance in this movie I'd say he could become pretty damn big. We'll see...

Swede

B Dids
11-17-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The movie still isn't that good with him, but Hoffman absolutely carried Meet the Fockers on his back from start to finish. The gap between him and DeNiro was jarring.

[/ QUOTE ]

I gave up on this movie about halfway through. The only preformance that I really liked was given by the cat.

theBruiser500
11-17-2005, 06:09 PM
but phillip hoffman is not as mainstream, a lot of his work is in supporting characters and independant films, people don't recognize how good he is.

samjjones
11-17-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe people mentioning Ed Norton and Ewan McGregor and Phillip Seymore Hoffman for this. Each of these guys have been making quality movies for ten years or more.

Saarsgard and Gyllenhaal are good picks though, I would definitely consider both of these guys more "newcomers" on the scene than the guys mentioned above. I know he's really only known for one movie but what about Zach Braff (the guy behind and starring in Garden State)? Based on his work and performance in this movie I'd say he could become pretty damn big. We'll see...

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Braff has a more promising career as a director and writer. Garden State was really quite good. Guy is definitely talented.