PDA

View Full Version : 3 K's and check the turn ?

Fmonti
06-26-2003, 08:56 PM
10/20 HE and I'm on the button with K 10 and call after an EP and Mp limp in and BB calls. I'm not familiar with the players as I only sat down about 20 minutes ago. Flop comes K K 5 rainbow. 3 checks and I bet. BB check raises and EP and MP both fold and I call..Turn is 7 BB checks I check..River is a 5..BB bets and I call....My question, should I have bet out on the turn? I did't because I thought the BB may have a K with a better kicker. Another player at the table made a remark that I should have bet the turn...BB held 55

haakee
06-26-2003, 10:11 PM
I would have bet the turn and I would have raised the river having failed to bet the turn.

haakee
06-26-2003, 10:29 PM
Perhaps I was a little terse. On the flop there are a wide range of hands with which he would check-raise you, including any K, any pocket pair above 5s, A5, 55, or maybe even some other hands. Your flop bet from the button does not indicate strength. (I've check-raised a strong player on a flop like this when I had nothing and he folded because he had nothing and was trying to steal). You need to pound some more until you have more reason to believe you're behind.

Fmonti
06-27-2003, 10:33 AM
Haakee: Thank you for your response. Would the proper play after I got checkraised on the flop be to re-raise? Then if he bets the turn, raise, and if he re-raises fold, or if he chks the turn and I bet and he chk raises, fold? Thanks again for your help...

Dynasty
06-27-2003, 11:02 AM
I'll often check behind heads-up on the turn when I think my opponent has a 5 or a pocket pair 66 or higher. It's not a matter of fearing a bigger King. It's more a concern that my opponent will put me on a big hand and fold.

Nottom
06-27-2003, 01:19 PM
I would have lost a lot more on this hand than you. I don't have a problem with the turn check, but I think you need to raise the river. You are only behind 55 and K7 (4 possible hands) and he could easily be betting a 5 or even a medium pair into you here after you checked the turn.

elysium
06-27-2003, 04:03 PM
hi monti
you can fold KTo pre-flop. bet the turn.

ML4L
06-27-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey Fmonti,

I might check the turn, but the reason would not be because I feared being outkicked. I might check the turn here to induce a river bluff/bet from your opponent. BB could very easily have a hand such as 77 or a bare ace and check-raise thinking you were using your position to steal. If you check behind on the turn, they might bet into you on the river, at which point you can raise. Also, note that because you are facing the blind, his kicker is a random card, meaning that chances are that YOU have HIM outkicked. If you were facing the check-raise from EP or MP, playing the hand passively would be a little more reasonable, although against some opponents, you will be missing bets more often than saving money...

Incidentally, why on earth did you not raise the river when you made a full house and your kicker no longer mattered?! The ONLY hand that beats you is 55, and it would take me putting in a few bets on the river before I put him on that hand. I would raise, and then probably just call a three-bet, because very few players would 3-bet without a king or 55. But, LOTS of players would bet a 5, pocket pair, or A on the river and then call a raise. Of course, I would have lost about twice as much money as you on this hand, so what do I know? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

ML4L

haakee
06-27-2003, 06:19 PM
I would often call his raise on the flop and then bet or raise on the turn. I would have a hard time folding to a turn 3-bet from an unknown player. If he's got a K with a better kicker you have 3 outs to the full pot (hitting kicker) and 6 outs to half the pot (pairing the board) getting about 9:1.

However, like the other posters are saying, checking behind on the turn is a fine move as well as it may induce a river bluff, or an attempted river value bet with a middling pair or smaller full house.

Bottom line: you should have lost more money here, you can't put him on K with a better kicker on the flop check-raise.

Pot-A
06-27-2003, 10:16 PM
Notwithstanding the particulars of this hand (i.e. the fact he held the miracle hand), I would check behind on the turn. If you bet and he doesn't have you beat he'll fold. If you bet and he has you beat you'll get check-raised.

Also, the kings are about the only thing going on the flop, so you're not too concerned about giving away the free card.

If you check behind him on the turn you will probably induce a bluff from a weaker hand.

I would have raised the river - 55 is the only hand that can beat you.