PDA

View Full Version : fresh out of school, no debt- whats the best risk?

Flint{$N}
11-16-2005, 10:20 PM
Right now I'm in a 16 month co op position. I'll be finishing by the end of august 2006 and then will be headed into my last year of school.

In total, I'm hoping to have saved up around 55k (CDN).

Some of my peers are thinking of taking an MBA program when they come out of school (2 years 20k cdn).

I'm thinking about either starting a "start-up" or investing in real estate.

ANyone have any suggestions? Take the conservative path with school, the riskier path with real estate, the even riskier path of creating a startup or anything else you can think of.

Thanks!

11-17-2005, 03:00 PM
Get a job for a year or two. See if you can find something you love. Then get an MBA if you like.Part time is the best option.You're young you can easily do this. Afterwards start your own company doing something you have a passion for. Enjoy life.

Smackdab
11-17-2005, 03:02 PM
Your young and 55K isn't all that much. Put it all on black.....TWICE!

JonPKibble
11-17-2005, 03:03 PM
If you can start a business on a shoestring, you might as well get it started as soon as possible.

I started my business when I was a freshman in college, and am glad I got my foot in the door when I did. A business takes time to grow, so the sooner you get started the better. Education is important, but so is experience.

You can always get your business going on a small scale, finish school, then grow it in larger proportions. If you feel you need more education, go for the MBA, that is the bottom line.

diebitter
11-17-2005, 03:05 PM
KaneKungFu's got this awesome idea for a movie, and needs finance...

11-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Doing a start-up fresh out of school would be the worst thing you could possibly do.

I'm assuming you are 22-23...?

Unless you are older and have years of experience in the field in which you wish to take ownership of business...

Getting an MBA sounds like the best option.

Investing in real estate is usually a good option, but are you learned enough on this industry? When in doubt, sleep on it. Don't rush into something. 55K isn't a ton of money that would change your life or anything, but it's a ton to lose at a young age, doing something stupid.

Good luck.

Oh, you will receive a bill in the mail for $1K for this advice. So, wherever I typed "55K", please substitute "54K". Thank you.

JonPKibble
11-17-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Doing a start-up fresh out of school would be the worst thing you could possibly do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends what kind of 'start-up'.

Starting a brick and mortar business? It will be difficult to do this without any experience.

But if you're starting an internet business, it might only require a few hours a week of your time. There's nothing wrong with starting small, and working your way up.

ddollevoet
11-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Buy a duplex. Rent out one side and live in the other while you get your MBA.

Get experience in real estate investing/running a business while getting an advanced degree.

GrooveNougat
11-17-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Part time is the best option.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way. Working full time + attending classes = no social life. Take your time, decide if an MBA will really help you, and get into the best school that you can. 50% of the value of an MBA comes from the relationships you build at school, something that will be more difficult to do in a part-time program.

And please, do your best to get into a top-tier school. Anything less will be a waste of time if you want employers to take it seriously.

Good luck bro.

JonPKibble
11-17-2005, 11:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And please, do your best to get into a top-tier school. Anything less will be a waste of time if you want employers to take it seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Employers? Screw that. Be your own boss.

Peter666
11-18-2005, 12:26 AM
Since it sounds like you are from Canada, and I will assume Ontario, I would not recommend getting into real estate right now because the bubble is bursting. Waiting a couple years though will give you an excellent time to buy property at cheaper prices.

phixxx
11-18-2005, 12:34 AM
I believe there are plenty of ventures you can undertake in Canada right now which involve buying property, building a nicer house, and selling it for more. There are alot of small neighbourhoods which are exploding at this point in time; take advantage.

M2d
11-18-2005, 02:00 AM
http://store.poolroom.com/images/TCM-DVD.jpg