PDA

View Full Version : What does your family eat on Thanksgiving?

CD56
11-16-2005, 08:37 PM
The 'rents are from Maryland, so we usually have crabcakes, which works for me since I'm not real big on the Turkey/stuffing/gravy bit.

I'd be especially interested to hear what the vegetarians/vegans eat.

Freakin
11-16-2005, 08:55 PM
Tofurkey is what vegans eat...

I've heard the taste isn't bad, but only as long as you don't say stuff like "it's just like real turkey!"

We have all the normal stuff... our sweet potatoes have melted marshmellows on them....

I've heard the new think is Todurkens.... It's a duck thats stuff with something savory, that's stuffed into a deboned chicken, thats's stuffed into a turkey. it's 3 animals in one!

On a side note, has anyone ever deep fried a turkey? It sounds hella good.

IHateKeithSmart
11-16-2005, 08:58 PM
I am a vegetarian. I don't do thanskgiving very traditionally, we usually just make a big meal made up of random dishes we like. Then, lots of beer and football. I like to keep things simple.

peterchi
11-16-2005, 09:32 PM
sukiyaki.

dblgutshot
11-16-2005, 09:34 PM
I've never actually deepfried a turkey but I have eaten some and it was good.

benza13
11-16-2005, 09:36 PM
This will be the first Thanksgiving I am not home for. Traditional dinner there.

For me its most likely going to be whatever I get to eat after snowboarding, then a lot of booze. Long weekend even for those people that have real jobs.

tonypaladino
11-16-2005, 10:07 PM
The Full traditional NY-Italian Thanksgiving Dinner:

Start with Antipasto (Cheeses, Meats, Dry Sausages, Peppers, Olives, Anchovies, stuffed peppers, etc etc) with shitloads of italian bread.

Then, Manicotti, Lasagna, or Baked Ziti served with Meatballs, Sausage, Beef chuck, and possibly ribs or pork chops

Stuffed Artichokes next

Then, turkey, stuffing, candied yams, stuffed mushrooms, brussel sprouts, and some sort of salad.

Desert is a variety but must include a pumpkin pie and a fruit tart thats been imported from Italy. Should include a turkey made of Panatone if available. There must be at least 4-6 desert items per 10 people, and there must be copius amounts of champagne and wine during the mean, and espresso with Sambuca with desert.

TONY

CD56
11-16-2005, 10:14 PM
I had a Turducken one time at a friends house, I was pretty disappointed although it might have been prepared poorly. Taking the bones out kinda takes away alot of the texture and you end up with a 25 pound ball of poultry.

Popeye's in New Orleans used to deep fry turkeys around thanksgiving, although i think you had to call ahead to reserve one.

astroglide
11-16-2005, 10:16 PM
i have deep fried turkey every thanksgiving. it is great.

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/school/cstech/fryturkeyimg/fryturk9.jpg

i look forward to that, my sister's broccoli casserolle (heavy basis on cheez-wiz), sweet potatoes, and whatever's there for dessert. this year my gf is making brownies topped with pumpkin-flavored mascarpone cheese.

miajag81
11-16-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
this year my gf is making brownies topped with pumpkin-flavored mascarpone cheese.

[/ QUOTE ]

holy crap that sounds amazing. im jealous.

My family always has a pretty standard dinner: turkey, dressing, sweet potato casserole, cranberry sauce, corn pudding, pumpkin and pecan pie. My mom makes the best stuffing/dressing ever so I'll never complain.

11-16-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Start with Antipasto (Cheeses, Meats, Dry Sausages, Peppers, Olives, Anchovies, stuffed peppers, etc etc) with shitloads of italian bread.

Then, Manicotti, Lasagna, or Baked Ziti served with Meatballs, Sausage, Beef chuck, and possibly ribs or pork chops

Stuffed Artichokes next

Then, turkey, stuffing, candied yams, stuffed mushrooms, brussel sprouts, and some sort of salad.

Desert is a variety but must include a pumpkin pie and a fruit tart thats been imported from Italy. Should include a turkey made of Panatone if available. There must be at least 4-6 desert items per 10 people, and there must be copius amounts of champagne and wine during the mean, and espresso with Sambuca with desert.

TONY

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to Paladino's house! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

CCass
11-16-2005, 11:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Stuffed Artichokes next

TONY

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to Paladino's house! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that!!!

As for the OP's question, we will have a very traditional Thanksgiving Dinner.

StevieG
11-16-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My family is Italian American from Philly, and this is very close to what we do.

However, we do cheese ravioli instead of manicotti or ziti.

Also, instead of stuffed artichokes after that and before turkey, we do escarole soup (Italian wedding soup) between the antipasta and the ravioli.

Tony, we're gonna have to talk Christmas Eve fishes next...

kipin
11-16-2005, 11:47 PM
Dude what's the cover charge?

I want in.

CrazyEyez
11-17-2005, 12:07 AM
I was going to start a thread about food ideas/tips/recommendations, but I'll just add to this one...

Some small ideas:

- if you're like me and you're not a huge fan of stuffing, try adding ground sausage to it. Delicious.

- I'm also not a fan of cranberry sauce, but my mom makes cranberry bread. God is it good.

Aside from deep frying, let's hear some other turkey tips.

cwsiggy
11-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Deep fried turkey rules!!!

The only big negative is no gravy (from the bird drippings).

tonypaladino
11-17-2005, 12:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My family is Italian American from Philly, and this is very close to what we do.

However, we do cheese ravioli instead of manicotti or ziti.

Also, instead of stuffed artichokes after that and before turkey, we do escarole soup (Italian wedding soup) between the antipasta and the ravioli.

Tony, we're gonna have to talk Christmas Eve fishes next...

[/ QUOTE ]

My mom used to do the wedding soup too, but it was decided it was too much (yeah, the soup was what but that meal over the edge)

I think we've done ravioli too, I just forgot about it.

Remember, 7 types of fish for xmas eve or jesus will cry

StevieG
11-17-2005, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My mom used to do the wedding soup too, but it was decided it was too much (yeah, the soup was what but that meal over the edge)

[/ QUOTE ]

hilarious

[ QUOTE ]

Remember, 7 types of fish for xmas eve or jesus will cry

[/ QUOTE ]

one year something happened and we were missing one

I kid you not, my grandmother opened a can of tuna and my brother ate it

11-21-2005, 06:06 PM
Standard meal at our house:

Turkey
Sweet potatoes
Cajun rice dressing