PDA

View Full Version : Like open raising 4xBB in HU SNGs

betgo
11-16-2005, 07:13 PM
I have found I get better results open raising 4xBB from the SB/button than raising 2-3xBB. I generally raise 4xBB half the time, and a mix of 3xBB, 2xBB, limping, and folding the rest. I find the 4xBB puts pressure on my opponent and makes good use of preflop initiative and postflop position. I can make a smaller raise for various reasons or just to mix things up, and it is hard for my opponents to know if I am doing it because I want action or have a marginal hand.

bluef0x
11-16-2005, 07:20 PM
Not trying to be a dick, but what's the point of this post?

What format/site do you play? Usually HU it's push/fold- raising 4xBB is pointless.

wiggs73
11-16-2005, 07:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What format/site do you play? Usually HU it's push/fold- raising 4xBB is pointless.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not talking about heads up in full table sng's... he's talking about HU sng's. You can't so much push-bot these.

bluef0x
11-16-2005, 07:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not talking about heads up in full table sng's... he's talking about HU sng's. You can't so much push-bot these.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, missed the "SNGs" after HU.

In HU, you definately need to be more aggressive and vary your play. You shouldn't be raising 3xBB every single time you have a good hand. GL

raptor517
11-16-2005, 09:49 PM
i raise about 85% of the hands to 2.5-3x from the button. i like to put unlimited pressure on the opponent and make them gamble for their stack. 4x the bb.. might be a bit much. holla

SunOfBeach
11-16-2005, 11:27 PM
i can't see what a 4BB raise accomplishes that isn't accomplished just as well as a 2.5BB raise... except putting more money in the pot with marginal hands (if you're open-raising there as much as you should be).

tewall
11-17-2005, 01:25 AM
This is obvious, but if the opponent folds too often to the continuation bet, then raising 4BB will gain more than raising 2.5 to 3BB.

Apathy
11-17-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i raise about 85% of the hands to 2.5-3x from the button. i like to put unlimited pressure on the opponent and make them gamble for their stack. 4x the bb.. might be a bit much. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you want to open for 4 x bb in a stars sng past level 1 your gonna need to open a litle less then 85% of your button hands. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Nicok7
11-17-2005, 06:48 AM
I get better results by mixing the amount of raises or calling with good hands so as to keep my opponent guessing. My standart raise from the SB is 2.5 though, on the SB you will have position so don't usually mind the flop.

On the BB I will raise 3BB more so as to not give easy odds to my opponent and to try and shorten the play OOP

zambonidrivr
11-17-2005, 09:46 AM
... and when they shove all in over top what do you do? Always call? It's not like you can fold giving the blind pressure. Why not just get all in and put max pressure on. Please explain. Thanks

Nicok7
11-17-2005, 10:26 AM
This thread relates to HU SNG where u start with deep stacks. Obviously at some point the blinds are so big you can only shove, but if you want to shove 1000 chips in a 10/20 pot then message me I can set up a game on PS /images/graemlins/smile.gif

the shadow
11-17-2005, 03:42 PM
There're pluses and minuses to a larger PF raise.

On the plus side, if villian folds to a continuation bet, maybe you can get more money in the middle.

On the minus side, if the villian folds PF, maybe you can earn the pot with a smaller PF raise.

How good the strategy is depends on how your particular villian is playing. If he's often reraising me or pushing over my PF raise, I'm probably sticking to my standard 3xBB PF raise. If he's folding PF a lot, I'm probably raising 2.5xBB or maybe even less, if that gets the job done.

The Shadow

primetimenole
11-17-2005, 04:39 PM
This is kind of off-topic and probably a dumb question, but when you guys are talking about a 2.5X BB raise from the SB what exactly does this mean??

Does this mean that when the blinds are 10/20 and you want to raise 2.5X BB that you raise 40 to a total of 50 or do you raise 50 to a total of 60?

Thanks in advance.