PDA

View Full Version : College Football Coach of the Year Debate

pokerdirty
11-16-2005, 07:03 PM
This is a very interesting topic to me, because there are a bunch of coaches you could give it to. I'll list those that are probably at the top of the debate, and you can discuss and/or list others that you think deserve it.

In no particular order:

Mack Brown (UT)
Joe Pa (PSU)
Steve Spurrier (SC)
Charlie Weis (ND)
Pete Carroll (USC)
Gary Patterson (TCU)

brettbrettr
11-16-2005, 07:07 PM
My gut says Weis b/c he's changed an unchanged roster into a terrific team.

11-16-2005, 07:35 PM
If you give it before the Bowls then I would go with JoePa or Weis. If after the bowls I give it to Brown if he beats USC. If not, then back to JoePA or Weis if they win. JMO

BreakfastBurrito
11-16-2005, 08:49 PM
Joe Pa I think has to be a clear favorite here. Taking a team thought to be mediocre at best to the top of a major conference, although I really think they'll faulter at Mich St and if so I'd default to Spurrier or Patterson, maybe even Shula.

Carroll and Brown are just working with too much talent to really stand out in the jobs they've done this year. Charlie Weis has done a great job and Notre Dame looks great most weeks, but if you look through their schedule their actual results are underwhelming for a 2 loss team that's ranked 6th. Losing a close one to USC at home is their biggest accomplishment by far. AZ St did it too.

11-16-2005, 08:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you give it before the Bowls then I would go with JoePa or Weis. If after the bowls I give it to Brown if he beats USC. If not, then back to JoePA or Weis if they win. JMO

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed

SammyKid11
11-17-2005, 05:09 AM
Gary Patterson has done a terrific job with this TCU team. Save for one night of Tye Gunn's career which was atrocious, causing the Frogs to lose that laugher in Dallas against SMU, this is an undefeated team. They're only the second team to win in Norman since Bob Stoops took over. They convincingly ran the table in the Mountain West. Patterson turned a defense that was last in the nation vs. the pass last year (and near the bottom overall) into a defense that leads the nation in takeaways and that no one has scored a touchdown against in more than eight quarters.

That said, I seriously hope he does not win COTY. Being a wildly successful coach and a K-State alum, he's already thought to be first in line for that job, and I don't want him to go. If TCU loses Patterson, it'll be the second successful coach lost by the program in five years (Fran was the last one), and it will cement the permanent inequity against non-BCS-conference teams.

"If you DARE to become good enough to compete with the big boys, one of the big boys will simply steal your coach and you'll have to start over."

For that reason, I hope someone else wins even though I think Gary makes an excellent candidate every bit as deserving as Weis or Brown.

TomCollins
11-17-2005, 11:05 AM
Weis will get it. But JoePa should.

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 11:12 AM
I really think that Mack Brown gets it this year. He's got an undefeated squad that is just pummelling teams this year. He beat OU, and OSU in C-bus, not bad for someone who is known for choking in big games. Obviously, there's the Rose Bowl still to come, but unless they get blown out OU style like last year (which in the Yankee Fan's opinion is not going to happen) the award is his.

That being said, I have Joe Pa 2nd, Gary Patterson 3rd, Charlie Weis 4th, and Spurrier 5th

Hornacek
11-17-2005, 11:14 AM
Side question: how many times have JoePa and Pete Carroll (if any at all) won CoY?

11-17-2005, 11:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I really think that Mack Brown gets it this year. He's got an undefeated squad that is just pummelling teams this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but he's also got the best talent. Texas recruiting class has been ranked in like the top three every year he's been there. Theoretically they should have this kind of record every year (yes, I know that's not realistic). They're just finally living up to potential.

I like someone like Weis for this award.

With that said, of course if Texas beats USC this year, I'll gladly bear Mack Brown's children. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 11:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I really think that Mack Brown gets it this year. He's got an undefeated squad that is just pummelling teams this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but he's also got the best talent. Texas recruiting class has been ranked in like the top three every year he's been there. Theoretically they should have this kind of record every year (yes, I know that's not realistic). They're just finally living up to potential.

With that said, of course if Texas beats USC this year, I'll gladly bear Mack Brown's children. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

last time I checked, recruiting is part of the coach's job.

11-17-2005, 11:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
last time I checked, recruiting is part of the coach's job.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but let's face it, he's got a headstart. I can't give someone Coach of the Year for being a good recruiter and fair coach otherwise.

Clarkmeister
11-17-2005, 11:55 AM
The Alabama guy. To be this good so soon after probation and multiple coaching changes/controversies is awesome.

11-17-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The Alabama guy. To be this good so soon after probation and multiple coaching changes/controversies is awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

He has to be in the running.

kyro
11-17-2005, 03:22 PM
As much as I love JoePa, I gotta go with Weis. He'll be a legend someday.

TomCollins
11-17-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't everyone say this about Willingham 3 years ago?

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 04:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But Weis is white, so it's ok.

imported_CaseClosed326
11-17-2005, 05:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing is if Leinart had fumbled inbounds everyone would be saying Weis. I am not trying to bring up and argument, I think JoePa should get it as well. It's just funny the way things go.

deacsoft
11-17-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weis did it in 1 offseason as a 1st year head coach. JoePa has been putting this team together for years (granted, the last freshman class is a big help). As previously stated, Weis has about the same roster as Willingham had at ND last year. He turned a non-productive offense that returned 10 of 11 starters in to a high powered scoring machine and will give many of these kids a chance to play at the next level. ND's top receiver hasn't even played more than a few 1/4s this year due to injury and the would be #2 & #3 receivers are among the tops in the NCAA. Brady Quinn went from a non-drafted bench warmer to a top Heisman candidate (next year) and 1st round draft pick.
I love JoePa and what he's doing at Penn St this year but if you're handing out that award before the bowls Weis wins hands down and JoePa is a distant but much respected 2nd.

TheRover
11-17-2005, 05:43 PM
Gary Barnett.

SinCityGuy
11-17-2005, 05:49 PM
My top 3 would be:

Mike Shula (Alabama)
Joe Paterno (Penn State)
Karl Dorrell (UCLA)

James Boston
11-17-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Alabama guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

His name is Mike Shula...Don Shula's son.

DrunkIrish05
11-17-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Alabama guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who the [censored] is don shula?

MyTurn2Raise
11-17-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gary Barnett.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my choice--he won't win it because it's not pc
He kept that program together through a lot of bs. They don't have the ND talent.

As to who will win, my guess is JoePa

All of those candidates listed are very deserving though.

Didn't Willingham start 8-0 his first year at ND and recruit that talent we see today

TheRover
11-17-2005, 10:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Alabama guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who the [censored] is don shula?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this some bizzare joke or reference that I don't understand?

ucfryan
11-18-2005, 01:27 AM
Amazing that George O'Leary isn't mentioned in this thread.

pokerdirty
12-08-2005, 09:29 PM
And the winner is....

Joe Pa.

MyTurn2Raise
12-08-2005, 09:34 PM
Who the hell said Gary Barnett?

OH yeah...me

ROFL

pokerdirty
12-08-2005, 09:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

OH yeah...me

ROFL

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, he would have been a decent choice for top 10 probably (toward the back), but not #1. Colorado is [censored] up IMO.

I think it probably should have gone to Mr. Brown @ Texas. It's tough to win an award when you only meet expectations though.

TheRover
12-08-2005, 09:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

OH yeah...me

ROFL

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the blame for mentioning it first.

I don't see how he deserved to be fired either.

Bulldog
12-09-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. You can get off the PSU bandwagon.

Once again, I will ask, where are ND's quality wins?

BTW, this is JoePa's 4th award.

TomCollins
12-09-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Covering the spread against USC isn't a win?

Bigdaddydvo
12-09-2005, 08:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

After the first of his three 31 pt blowouts to USC, uh, no.

Bigdaddydvo
12-09-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gary Barnett.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is my choice--he won't win it because it's not pc
He kept that program together through a lot of bs. They don't have the ND talent.

As to who will win, my guess is JoePa

All of those candidates listed are very deserving though.

Didn't Willingham start 8-0 his first year at ND and recruit that talent we see today

[/ QUOTE ]

So where are the props for Bob Davie, who recruited the players Ty started 8-0 with? ND haters can't have it both ways on this argument...

Tron
12-09-2005, 09:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Covering the spread against USC isn't a win?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. I was always under the impression that a win is a win.

lastchance
12-10-2005, 01:00 AM
Playing SC to 3 points is much more impressive than beating a random regular team by 3 points.

kyro
12-10-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize I had hopped on one with you. Let me guess, you were one of the people screaming for his retirement too, huh?

The reason I think Weis deserves it is he turned around a struggling ND team in one year. That's good coaching. Being a PSU fan doesn't mean being a stupid homer that isn't allowed to have unbiased opinions.

damaniac
12-10-2005, 01:56 PM
People said the same thing about Ty. Where's he know?

(FWIW, I certainly think Weis will be better than Ty. But he'd have to try not to be.)

LBJ
12-10-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing SC to 3 points is much more impressive than beating a random regular team by 3 points.

[/ QUOTE ]

What up Captain Obvious?

The fact is that ND didn't win that game, a loss is a loss. They came close, but they weren't good enough to pull it out. As for my choice, I *think* its clearly between JoePa and Weis, but JoePa should probably get the award.

12-10-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Amazing that George O'Leary isn't mentioned in this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed

DontRaisePlz
12-10-2005, 08:48 PM
Anyway you want to slice it, ND still has a far more talented squadron then Penn St. Why don't people realize they draw more All-Americans than any other school beside Texas, Miami, and USC? I laugh when people claim that it's going to be "difficult" to revive ND because of the lack of talent. Penn St's two biggest high school headliners are injured and playing backup (Williams, Morelli).

JoePa.

Dudd
12-10-2005, 09:23 PM
Per rivals.com, Penn State vs ND recruiting classes:

2005: Penn State 25, ND 40
2004: Penn State 14, ND 32
2003: Penn State 93, ND 12
2002: Penn State 21, ND 24

So, 3 out of 4 years, Penn State had a better recruiting class, at least viewed initially. Of course, the one year that ND beat Penn State, it looks like JoePa didn't even try, so the overall edge probably still goes to ND. However, I think it's pretty clear that at least recently, both Penn State and ND have been pretty far down the list, neither of them even close to drawing the most All-Americans.

bernie
12-11-2005, 07:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
People said the same thing about Ty. Where's he know?

(FWIW, I certainly think Weis will be better than Ty. But he'd have to try not to be.)

[/ QUOTE ]

He improved the Huskies record by 100%. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

b

bernie
12-11-2005, 07:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Per rivals.com, Penn State vs ND recruiting classes:

2005: Penn State 25, ND 40
2004: Penn State 14, ND 32
2003: Penn State 93, ND 12
2002: Penn State 21, ND 24

So, 3 out of 4 years, Penn State had a better recruiting class, at least viewed initially. Of course, the one year that ND beat Penn State, it looks like JoePa didn't even try, so the overall edge probably still goes to ND. However, I think it's pretty clear that at least recently, both Penn State and ND have been pretty far down the list, neither of them even close to drawing the most All-Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

However, on average(last 4 years), ND is higher over Penn St. by about 11 places. 38(penn)-28th(ND)

It also looks like the 2003 class is more likely playing now for ND than the 2004 Penn State class.

b

TheHip41
12-11-2005, 09:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hasn't texas been like 10-1 and 9-2 the last 4 years?

UATrewqaz
12-12-2005, 07:04 PM
Two names not mentioned (edit, both were mentioned)

1. George O'Leary at UCF. Took over a horrible team and goes 0-11 last year, this year they play in their conference championship game (it's CUSA so nobody cares obviously)

2. Mike Shula at Alabama (someone mentioned him but not in name). After being sent to NCAA purgatory for a few seasons managed to put up a great record (9-2) in the always tough SEC (including blowout wins over Floria and more impressively South Carolina, who turned out to be very good).

Neither of these guys will win, but should be mentioned. My vote is for Joe Pa.