PDA

View Full Version : Back in the kiddie pool (possible NC)

BWebb
11-16-2005, 05:31 PM
It's been awhile since I've played, talked about or read about poker. About six months ago I was playing semi-regularly and doing very well at low limits. I eventually hit a downswing and didn't want to see all the money I had won over the previous months disappear, so I cashed out and haven't really played since (maybe once every two months). Well, I'm ready to start playing again. However, I decided I'm not going to start playing right away. I'm going to spend a month (maybe more) reading my books and participating in this forum. Then, when I feel I'm focused again, I will play. When it comes to this forum, I made a few ground rules to for me to follow to make sure my participation is productive. They are:

1) I will NOT avoid posting responses in tough hands, hands where it is very possible my opinion will be wrong.
2) I will develop my own ideas and responsed to a hand before reading other responses.
3) I will NOT change my mind simply because a 'famous' poster doesn't have the same opinion as mine (I see this a lot on the forums).
4) I will change my mind if I believe I have been proven wrong.
5) I will give detailed responses with reasoning, not "easy fold" and "its not close".

That's it, see you around the forum.

sweetjazz
11-16-2005, 05:34 PM
Those are some good goals. And it's not even close. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, that's a great way to contribute to the forums. Looking forward to reading your posts and good luck at the tables when you do decide to hit them.

ErrantNight
11-16-2005, 05:34 PM
welcome back. don't be afraid to get your feet wet in the low low limits while you're reading/coming back.

my personal experience has been that reading/watching, while great for getting your mind going, will not substitute for hands played. so even if you're coming back to play 5/10 maybe play some 2/4 or 1/2 while you're doing your research. maybe, anyway. just a thought.

krimson
11-16-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I decided I'm not going to start playing right away. I'm going to spend a month (maybe more) reading my books and participating in this forum. Then, when I feel I'm focused again, I will play.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't like this idea, I think you are much much better off playing poker while studying.

Think of a math class or something. You don't learn all the material, then afterwards try and do an assignment on it. You learn a concept, apply it, learn a new concept, apply it, and build from there. I think this is the best way to learn something, including poker.

If it's the money your concerned with, just play low limits and bonuswhore a bit.

ZootMurph
11-16-2005, 05:44 PM
I like your participation ground rules. I wish everyone followed them.

As for not playing, I see poker like bike riding, once you learn you don't forget how. You may be rusty, but just participating in these forums won't completely remove the rust. Only playing will. I don't think you need to 6 table 10 hours a day or anything. 1 table for an hour a day, just to get back in the swing, will do a lot for getting the rust off.

private joker
11-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Welcome back. I find your responses to difficult hands very enlightening, and you seem to have a knack for putting opponents on the right hand even while just reading the history and text -- not being there at the table. I predict you will earn a nice chunk of change in the upcoming months.