PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Rivalry to watch (past and current)?

Go_Blue88
11-16-2005, 05:16 PM
When I was growing up my favorite game to watch was Bulls Vs. Knicks (especially in the playoffs).

Now it's Michigan v OSU.

It'd be cool to hear some other people's...even if you went to some school that has some obscure rivalry that few people know about. In fact, those would be the most interesting to hear about.

11-16-2005, 05:20 PM
Is this a trick question?

http://riotboard.com/media/Longhorn%20Poo!!_01.GIF

cdxx
11-16-2005, 05:23 PM
the only sport that matters. the only league that matters. the only division that matters.

yankees - red sox.

edit : unless it's duke at maryland in college hoops, but i really don't feel right about endorsing the riots.

pryor15
11-16-2005, 05:25 PM
i get a kick out of Duke/Carolina

also Maine/New Hampshire in college hockey

HopeydaFish
11-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Ottawa - Toronto and Montreal - Toronto in hockey.

Boston vs. NYY in baseball.

Are there any decent rivalries in the NFL?

Phoenix1010
11-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Knicks-Bulls was fun... but heartbreaking. It wasn't really a rivalry, they owned us. Now, the Knicks-Heat rivalry on the other hand, faaaantastic.

Ianco15
11-16-2005, 06:01 PM
I enjoyed the niners/cowboys rivalry in the early 90s. It reminds me of the colts/pats rivalry of the past few years, which is also great.

istewart
11-16-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Knicks-Bulls was fun... but heartbreaking. It wasn't really a rivalry, they owned us. Now, the Knicks-Heat /Knicks-Pacers rivalries on the other hand, faaaantastic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vince Young
11-16-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is this a trick question?

http://riotboard.com/media/Longhorn%20Poo!!_01.GIF

[/ QUOTE ]

11-16-2005, 07:31 PM
duke/carolina in college bball.

osu/michigan in college football.

11-16-2005, 07:41 PM
Duke/Carolina in bball.

The most underrated rivalry in sporst is the Georgia/Florida game in football. You go to the game and the stadium is exactly split in half: Red and Black on one half, Blue and Orange on the other.

cdxx
11-16-2005, 07:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Duke/Maryland in bball.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

F U J J!!!

ftball0000
11-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Yankees Red Sox, obviously

However, a great one that not many know about is Maple leafs - Sabres in Buffalo

The arena will be half Toronto fans and half Sabres fans so its like a College atmosphere for a professional game, really cool to be at in person

jesusarenque
11-16-2005, 09:08 PM
UNC/Duke

kschellenger
11-16-2005, 09:12 PM
UNC/Duke simply because it has provided so many great games over the years.

11-16-2005, 09:26 PM
Lakers Celtics in the 80's

Yanks Sox now.

otis_nixon
11-16-2005, 10:11 PM
Iron Bowl; best rivalry in college football

http://www.druidcityonline.com/zzz%20ins...uburn%20069.htm (http://www.druidcityonline.com/zzz%20inside%20Home%20Games/Auburn/Auburn%20slideshow/pages/n%20Auburn%20069.htm)

Punker
11-16-2005, 10:34 PM
Oilers-Flames in NHL

11-17-2005, 12:19 AM
Leafs Sens especially because the Leafs always win
UNC Duke
This is really recent but it will be a very fun game to watch february 23rd Indiana Pacers @ Detroit Pistons.

Pudge714
11-17-2005, 12:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yankees Red Sox, obviously

However, a great one that not many know about is Maple leafs - Sabres in Buffalo

The arena will be half Toronto fans and half Sabres fans so its like a College atmosphere for a professional game, really cool to be at in person

[/ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately as a Leafs fan I don't care about the Sabres. Leafs fans just go to Buffalo because getting a ticket in Buffalo is much easier than getting one in Toronto.

I love the Duke Carolina rivalry because of the proximity. There is not as intense a rivalry with both teams so close to each other.

11-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Islanders-Rangers, when both teams are good it blows yankees-red sox away

Go_Blue88
11-17-2005, 02:56 AM
Personally, I don't find baseball to be fast-paced enough to create a really exciting rivalry. I think that there are many more exciting rivalries than Redsox-Yankees. One that no one has mentioned yet (at least when I skimmed the thread) is Red Wings Vs Avs. This one is always cool as hell.

TripleH68
11-17-2005, 03:17 AM
Best in the present:

Michigan vs. Ohio State
Toledo Storm vs. Dayton Bombers (hockey)

Best in the past:

Detroit Red Wings vs. Toronto Maple Leafs
-particularly home and home on Hockey Night in Canada

johnnybeef
11-17-2005, 03:25 AM
i would say that it is ohio state michigan, but that really hasnt been much of a rivalry as of late.

Go_Blue88
11-17-2005, 03:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i would say that it is ohio state michigan, but that really hasnt been much of a rivalry as of late.

[/ QUOTE ]

As in, as of last season? If you're an OSU fan I'm sure you're psyched as hell for the game this Saturday at 1:00. This means that it's a great rivalry; it's all a fan of either team has been thinking about all season.

private joker
11-17-2005, 07:17 AM
Man U/Chelsea

imported_The Vibesman
11-17-2005, 09:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I don't find baseball to be fast-paced enough to create a really exciting rivalry. I think that there are many more exciting rivalries than Redsox-Yankees. One that no one has mentioned yet (at least when I skimmed the thread) is Red Wings Vs Avs. This one is always cool as hell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was more fun when they used to really beat the snot out of each other. It's calmed down now.

The Yankees-Red Sox thing is actually wearing thin on me. I enjoy the back and forth between the fans, but the media circus that surrounds the teams and all the hyperbole around each series gets to be annoying.

So I go with Bruins-Canadiens.

For the past, Ali-Frazier.

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 10:16 AM
OSU/Mich

there's not a game with more hate/emotion in it anywhere. this is as close as you will see to someone getting their head ripped off as there is, unless you watch a video of someone actually getting their head taken off. the fans hate each other. the stadiums packing 105-110k people.

The problem I have with the Yanks/Sox rivalry right now is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any bad blood between these teams. There's no fighting, no bad words, no bulletin material. I'll still watch, but is it the best rivalry right now? no.

MarkL444
11-17-2005, 10:19 AM
i hate how every year at this time the discussion of greatest rivalry blah blah blah comes up

Hornacek
11-17-2005, 10:22 AM
ESPN ranked the best rivalries of all time. Link. (http://espn.go.com/endofcentury/s/other/bestrivalries.html)

10. Giants vs. Dodgers
A rivalry spawned in New York transferred to the West Coast in 1958. It reached its most famous moment in 1951, when Bobby Thomson's home run beat the Dodgers to win the pennant. When the clubs fought for National League pennants in the '60s, they were also constantly fighting on the field, including the infamous episode when Juan Marichal attacked Johnny Roseboro with a bat. Giants fans loved it when Joe Morgan's homer knocked the Dodgers out on the final day in 1982; Dodgers fans loved it when their team knocked out the Giants in 1993.

9. Redskins vs. Cowboys
The intense loyalty of these teams' fans helped this rivalry hit a peak in the '70s and early '80s. Redskins fans hated Tom Landry, the shotgun offense and the Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders. Cowboys fans hated George Allen, Joe Theismann and that ridiculous logo. When they played on Thanksgiving, there were more than a few turkey legs thrown at the TV in disgust.

8. Auburn vs. Alabama
The "Iron Bowl" is the quintessential intrastate football rivalry. In fact, the series was discontinued from 1908 to 1948 because of a long-standing dispute over a referee and per diem pay for players. When the schools finally agreed to play again, the game had to be held in Birmingham, a neutral site with tickets split equally. Auburn finally hosted Alabama for the first time in 1989 and set a stadium attendance record. The most famous meeting came in 1972. Both teams entered with one loss. 'Bama led 16-0 entering the fourth quarter, but Auburn returned two blocked punts for touchdowns and won 17-16. "Punt, 'Bama, Punt," became a famous slogan.

7. Red Sox vs. Yankees
Some say this is merely a media creation, and it's somewhat true, since the two teams have rarely battled head-to-head for the pennant. But, remember this: the Red Sox were the American League's dominant franchise until selling Babe Ruth to the Yankees. Red Sox fans have yet to fully recover. The rivalry has seen the DiMaggio vs. Williams debate, Bucky F****** Dent's home run and Roger Clemens' return to Fenway.

6. Arnold Palmer vs. Jack Nicklaus
Palmer was the fan favorite, the chain-smoking golfer built like a linebacker. Nicklaus was chubby but more talented, the young kid knocking the champ off his pedestal. The rivalry was respectful, with Nicklaus envying Palmer's popularity and Palmer envying Nicklaus' skill. As televised golf became popular in the early '60s, it was this matchup that brought golf to the masses.

5. Maple Leafs vs. Canadiens
When the NHL consisted of six teams, that meant everybody played each other all the time. And no game was as intense as this one. It pitted French Canada vs. English Canada, making it a symbol of hockey's and Canada's history. They've met five times in the Stanley Cup Finals, with Montreal winning in 1959 and '60 and Toronto winning in '45, '51 and '67. Last year, Toronto was moved back into the Eastern Conference to rebuild the rivalry. Visiting fans often drown out the locals in each arena, so you never can tell who's the home team, and even when either team is terrible, players get revved up for regular-season games.

4. Wilt Chamberlain vs. Bill Russell
There were only nine NBA teams for most of the 1960s, meaning Chamberlain and Russell squared off nine to 12 times per season. And since defenses weren't as sophisticated as now, when these two battled it was often without weakside help or double-teaming. Of course, Russell's Celtics always won, which helped build Russell's reputation and depicted Chamberlain as a selfish player who didn't make his teammates better. For example, in 1961-62, Wilt averaged 50.4 points per game, but the Celtics beat the Philadelphia Warriors eight of 12 games. The next season, Wilt averaged 44.8 points per game, but the Celtics beat Chamberlain's San Francisco Warriors eight out of nine. Who was more valuable? It's what made this a classic rivalry.

3. North Carolina vs. Duke
Dean Smith. Coach K. Jordan. Hill. Tobacco Road. Cameron Crazies. The fans are passionate, the teams successful, the games almost always down to the buzzer. Two of the four winningest teams in history, going at it twice a year (and once more in the ACC tournament if we're lucky). This is what college hoops is all about.

2. Muhammad Ali vs. Joe Frazier
They fought three times with two of the brawls considered among the greatest fights in history. Many say their first fight at Madison Square Garden in 1971 is the most signficant boxing match in history. When they met for the third time in 1975 -- "The Thrilla in Manila" -- Ali verbally assaulted Frazier to such a degree in the months leading up to the fight that Frazier remains psychologically damaged to this day.

1. Michigan vs. Ohio State
When Ohio Stadium opened in 1922, Michigan spoiled the party with a 22-0 victory. The rivalry was heated in the early days as both have been long-time college football powers. But it got even hotter in 1969, when Bo Schembechler took over as Michigan's coach and upset Woody Hayes' No. 1-ranked, undefeated Buckeyes. Four times in the next six years, both teams were ranked in the top five when they met. In 1970 and 1973, both were undefeated (they tied 10-10 in '73). From 1970 through 1975, Michigan entered without a loss every year. The Wolverines won just once. Ohio State was 9-0-1 in 1993, 11-0 in 1995 and 10-0 in 1996. The Buckeyes lost each time. That is rivalry.

http://x78.xanga.com/d6385b36c663117310646/b12474263.jpg http://xed.xanga.com/61b8116051d4817310636/b12474253.jpg

Michigan-Ohio State. And its not even close.

JordanIB
11-17-2005, 10:22 AM
One's I have a rooting interest in:
Cornell/Harvard (hockey)
Yankees/Mets
Islanders/Rangers

Ones I have no rooting interest in and just enjoy watching:
Carolina/Duke
Yankees/Sox
a lot of the college football ones

cdxx
11-17-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ESPN ranked the best rivalries of all time. Link. (http://espn.go.com/endofcentury/s/other/bestrivalries.html)

Michigan-Ohio State. And its not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

espn lists are useless

11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be a very good thread topic on its own.

JordanIB
11-17-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This could be a very good thread topic on its own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...there is. You're in it. There wasn't any restriction.

Hornacek
11-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Most people, if they even know anyone from Michigan or Ohio, know that it is UM-OSU HANDS DOWN. There is no other rivalry that has been this heated between two very good teams (thats the important part) for almost a century. Sure, Red Sox-Yankees is hot right now, but what can you legitimately say was its biggest point between Bucky Dent and the late 90s? That's 20 years of ennui. Moreover, they never met in the playoffs until the Wild Card system was in place anyways.

Same with Duke-Carolina. Before Coach K, Duke basketball was nothing. Coach K is an amazing coach (and this is hard for me to say, having been born in Chapel Hill), and he constructed that program into one of the best of all time. Before the 80s and Coach K, Dean Smith would completely own Duke every year.

Individual rivalries also eventually succumb to the test of time, as players retire and their competitive fires dim.

Only consistent programs can have this continued rivalry. In pro sports, parity is nearly destroying any chance of long-lasting greatness and dynasties. Only in college sports, via recruiting and history, can these dominant year-in year-out programs continue to exist.

I'm confident that if Michigan-Ohio State was transplanted from the quiet and underrated Midwest to the East Coast, it wouldn't even be close.

That being said, GO BLUE!

JordanIB
11-17-2005, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most people, if they even know anyone from Michigan or Ohio, know that it is UM-OSU HANDS DOWN.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, the question was what is each person's favorite to watch.

Thus, there is no "HANDS DOWN" answer, and nobody wants to hear you proselytize on why it's something involving the blue and gold.

BTW, did you steal your football cheers from someone else too? Because you certainly did for Yost.

Hornacek
11-17-2005, 11:03 AM
I have no idea what cheers we have for hockey. But as far I know (I could be wrong), The Victors is original. Blue and Gold is a new one; its usually referred to as Maize and Blue.

It's cool if other people like other rivalries; everyone has their own opinion. I'm just stating mine, sorry if it came off too harsh.

JordanIB
11-17-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm just stating mine, sorry if it came off too harsh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here, although I guess that's how message boards are. The "My opinion has been stated. End of thread." and "This is the answer" posts that happen so much around here are just so dumb, especially when the question asks each person what they appreciated watching.

P.S. The cheers you have for hockey are the ones you stold from Cornell. http://elf.elynah.com/read.php?1,23188,23196

Clarkmeister
11-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Past
Cubs-Cardinals

Present
Cubs-Cardinals

Crveballin
11-17-2005, 12:49 PM
My interest:
Kentucky vs Louisville - bball; The whole state shutsdown
Redskins vs Cowgirls - No matter how good either team is

No interest:
UNC vs Duke
Yankees vs Redsox - I hate them both
MD vs UVA - I root for MD only because I hate UVA

JordanIB
11-17-2005, 01:07 PM
This is a rivalry?

[ QUOTE ]
Past
Cubs-Cardinals

Present
Cubs-Cardinals

[/ QUOTE ]

kyro
11-17-2005, 03:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OSU/Mich

there's not a game with more hate/emotion in it anywhere. this is as close as you will see to someone getting their head ripped off as there is, unless you watch a video of someone actually getting their head taken off. the fans hate each other. the stadiums packing 105-110k people.

The problem I have with the Yanks/Sox rivalry right now is the fact that there doesn't seem to be any bad blood between these teams. There's no fighting, no bad words, no bulletin material. I'll still watch, but is it the best rivalry right now? no.

[/ QUOTE ]

College rivalries will always be much stronger than professional rivalries.

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OSU/Mich

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

i'm surprised your fav rivalry isn't PSU/MSU /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hornacek
11-17-2005, 03:39 PM
P.Dirty, you guys need to get a better basketball team, and we need to stop paying our players, so our rivalry extends beyond the gridiron. Too bad Sparty is, and has been, kicking our ass on the hardwood for the last decade... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

kyro
11-17-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OSU/Mich

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of things. People are usually more attached to their college than they are to their cities sports teams. Most people voluntarily choose their college, whereas, they are usually born into a city and therefore, a pro sports team. Also, there is more of a team aspect in college than in the pros, where it's usually about the individual.

The PSU/MSU "rivalry" isn't really much of a "rivalry." Most PSU fans would much rather beat OSU or UM instead of MSU. We HATE Ohio State. Go figure.

Hornacek
11-17-2005, 03:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
OSU/Mich

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of things. People are usually more attached to their college than they are to their cities sports teams. Most people voluntarily choose their college, whereas, they are usually born into a city and therefore, a pro sports team. Also, there is more of a team aspect in college than in the pros, where it's usually about the individual.

The PSU/MSU "rivalry" isn't really much of a "rivalry." Most PSU fans would much rather beat OSU or UM instead of MSU. We HATE Ohio State. Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I went to school in Boston, but due to the lack of sports teams at school, I'm strongly attached to UM. I lived there since I was 1, and my brother and lots of friends went there. Now I live in NY, but I'm ready to go all out for the Maize and Blue this weekend.

Just to maybe prove your point a bit. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know it's not a real rivalry, it was the one bestowed on you guys 10 years ago when you came into the Big 10. Hence the /images/graemlins/wink.gif making fun of your fake rivalry. As for hating the Wolverines and Bucks, get your own team to hate /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kyro
11-17-2005, 03:59 PM
I know I know. I'm sorry for treading. It's not so much UM as it is OSU though. My freshman year at PSU, the kid who lived next door to me gave me one rule. Hate OSU. I just went with it.

Hornacek
11-17-2005, 04:15 PM
By far best UM-PSU game I've ever watched is 1996. PSU ranked #1, UM ranked #4, crisp October game IN Happy Valley (I believe). Lavar Arrington, Curtis Enis, and Courtney Brown on one side, Charles Woodson, Brian Griese, and the A-Train on the other.

Most pride I've felt for Michigan ever. Lloyd Carr's one great year. Too bad it was ruined by the Coaches and AP who wanted to give Tom Osbourne a nice parting gift.

ripdog
11-17-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lakers Celtics in the 80's

Yanks Sox now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom1975
11-17-2005, 04:28 PM
For my 200th post, I would just like to say "[censored] Michigan"

Dominic
11-17-2005, 06:42 PM
Bills-Jets
Bills-Dolphins
Angels-A's

SinCityGuy
11-17-2005, 06:46 PM
As a kid, it was Nebraska vs. Oklahoma on Thanksgiving. Tom Osborne vs. Barry Switzer, and the game almost always had national championship implications, with the winner going to the Orange Bowl.

Now, it's OU vs. Texas.

pokerdirty
11-17-2005, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
By far best UM-PSU game I've ever watched is 1996. PSU ranked #1, UM ranked #4, crisp October game IN Happy Valley (I believe). Lavar Arrington, Curtis P. Enis, and Courtney Brown on one side, Charles Woodson, Brian Griese, and the A-Train on the other.

Most pride I've felt for Michigan ever. Lloyd Carr's one great year. Too bad it was ruined by the Coaches and AP who wanted to give Tom Osbourne a nice parting gift.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mr. Zero
11-17-2005, 08:49 PM
THE Rivalry:

[censored] Michigan.

Don't think anybody mentioned this one (no rooting interest):

Wings-Avs (90s)

PhatTBoll
11-17-2005, 09:44 PM
Some love for the little guys:

Army-Navy
Wabash-DePauw

johnnybeef
11-17-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As in, as of last season? If you're an OSU fan I'm sure you're psyched as hell for the game this Saturday at 1:00. This means that it's a great rivalry; it's all a fan of either team has been thinking about all season.

[/ QUOTE ]

In Poland they tell Michigan jokes.

DeadMoneyOC
11-17-2005, 10:09 PM
Real Madrid v. Barca

aka this saturday, should be intense as always

Close second : River v. Boca, those mofos are crazy

IHateKeithSmart
11-17-2005, 10:43 PM
My fave:

http://cusebball.tripod.com/Douglas-Sherman.jpg

vs.

http://www.admu.edu.ph/files/501/Georgetown-University-game.gif

MyTurn2Raise
11-17-2005, 10:52 PM
NCAA football:
Growing up Nebraska-Oklahoma games really got me going
Now, Ohio State-Michigan
and Florida State-Florida make me happy

NFL:
Bears-Packers both past and present

NCAAB: Indiana-Purdue was awesome in the Midwest forever, but what happened to Purdue lately?
UNC-Duke would have to be a good one of late

NBA:
It's always Celtics-Lakers

NHL:
Leafs/Sens are the ones I enjoy the most

MLB:
Cards/Cubs past and present (that other MLB thing is just a bunch of Obnoxious people from the NorthEast in their arms race)

My favorite:
Illini/everybody else
Seriously, my alma mater has a chip on its shoulder v the NCAA/Iowa/Indiana/Mizzou/Michigan/tOSU--it's hilarious and My favorite to watch

jdl22
11-18-2005, 04:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious if you hate Pitt and/or West Virginia. I'm a grad student at Pitt and fans will chant "Penn State sucks!" at seemingly random times, for example on the bus going to early non-conference games. I find it puzzling since they don't play each other anymore. Just curious if people have held on to the same feeling on the other side.

jdl22
11-18-2005, 04:41 AM
In college football I've got to go with Oregon - Washington. I'm suffering from selective memory bias forgetting all the years Oregon got thoroughly whooped in the series but the 11 years since the Kenny Wheaton pick have been fun. I hate Washington, but this game has lost steam of late due to them sucking. I'm happy to see them go 2 - 9 or whatever but that takes a bit of the thrill away from beating them.

Oregon - Oregon State has also gotten better recently. We were on the winning side of dominating that but the last several in a row have gone to the home team. Should be good this year, can't wait.

Otherwise in college football I like Michigan - Ohio State as well as Miami - Florida State.

Pro football I always liked the Cowboys - 49ers matchups in the late 80s - early nineties. Would have liked a few more wins for the niners but they were good games.

In basketball I enjoyed Portland - Utah in the playoffs. Also very good series but ultimately dissapointing were all the Portland - LA series both in the late 80s - early 90s as well as the late 90s early 2000s.

In soccer I like Liverpool - Manchester United in England. For national teams England - Argentina always manages to be a good game. USA - Mexico is getting to be pretty good but there normally is little on the line as both tend to qualify. My two favorite rivalries in sports are Sevilla - Betis (see avatar) and Barcelona - Real Madrid. Real Madrid - Barcelona is like a more extreme version of the Yankees - Red Sox. Both teams with ridiculously overpaid players, Barça has a huge inferiority complex, and both are basically always at the top of the league. Sevilla - Betis is an unbelievably strong rivalry of two teams from the same city. Sevilla have had Betis' number of late, but last year was bad.

Can't wait for Saturday. Sevilla - Betis starts at 3 so it'll have to be recorded since the civil war starts at the same time. After hopefully watching Oregon kill OSU I'll be heading back to my parents to hopefully watch Sevilla kill Betis on tivo.

kyro
11-18-2005, 09:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious if you hate Pitt and/or West Virginia. I'm a grad student at Pitt and fans will chant "Penn State sucks!" at seemingly random times, for example on the bus going to early non-conference games. I find it puzzling since they don't play each other anymore. Just curious if people have held on to the same feeling on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like WVU personally because they're all a bunch of rednecks. I was going to mention that most PSUers don't like Pittsburgh either, but you're right, we don't play each other in anything anymore (besides basketball, but that's laughable), so the "rivalry" is really lukewarm. I bet if we started it up in football again, we could brew some pretty intense hatred.

texaspimp
11-18-2005, 02:48 PM
I am a bit suprised that Texas vs. Texas A&M hasn't received any mention. Granted, it has lost some of the appeal since the bonfire tragedy. As a longhorn fan, it was (strangely) fun to go to the bonfire in College Station.

NFL
Cowboys-Redpricks (especially when Crazy Ray punks Chief Bendover-and-grab-ankles)

Oakland vs. the AFC West (no rooting interest, just always seems to be bad blood)

MLB
Yankees vs. Redsox - I agree that this is overblown by the east coast media, but it is fun to watch.

NBA
Pacers vs. Knicks was good. It isn't anymore.

Bulls vs. Pistons/Knicks was good. It isn't anymore.

Pacers vs. Detroit would probably have to be the best current rivalry.

College FB
Texas vs. Texas A&M

Texas vs. Oklahoma - only thing keeping Texas from falling
into the Gulf of Mexico is that Oklahoma sucks

Michigan vs. OSU - fun to listen fans talk smack

Florida vs. Florida State/Georgia/Tennessee - Not nearly as good without the Ole Ball Coach.

FSU vs. Miami - not as good as in the past, but still decent
Alabama vs. Auburn - nice traditional slugfest

Pitt vs. West Virginia - some of the best smack ever. Especially from the PA announcer years back.

College BB
UNC vs. Duke - potential for a classic everytime

Cincy vs. Xavier - lost some luster since Bob Huggins is gone, but a nice matchup

Indiana vs. Purdue - again, not the same with The General, but still good (GO IU!)

Indiana vs. Kentucky - would be alot better if Mike Davis could pick up a win, at least once.

Misc
Rosie O'Donnell vs. Bellagio buffet - this is really a mismatch