PDA

View Full Version : KT 1/2 6-Max Hand

2+2 wannabe
11-16-2005, 04:20 PM
Button is 33/14/3.5 - my only note is "c/r'd flop from BB on steal attempt and folded to turn raise" - likes to coldcall but seems decent postflop

BB is 36/3/0.7 - typical calling station

Hero has K/images/graemlins/heart.gifT/images/graemlins/spade.gif in MP

1 fold, Hero raises, 1 fold, Button coldcalls, SB folds, BB calls

Flop is 9/images/graemlins/heart.gifT/images/graemlins/diamond.gif8/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, BB coldcalls, Hero calls

(I called waiting for a safe turn card)

Turn is the A/images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB checks, Hero ?

MrWookie47
11-16-2005, 04:23 PM
Bet/fold, methinks.

Koss
11-16-2005, 04:26 PM
Assuming the BB checked, I think I bet/fold. The BB coldcalling is worrysome, and he could be on a slowplay or a draw. Either way I don't want to give any freecards. Button could be raising any pair/draw here. If he has it in him to raise the turn I'll give him the pot. I tend to get too passive in these spots and check, but I think a bet is in order.

2+2 wannabe
11-16-2005, 04:32 PM
sorry yes BB checked (and edited in OP)

aargh57
11-16-2005, 04:42 PM
Donking prevents him from taking a free card against you so I almost have to say that you should donk to prevent this. You don't have hardly any chance that you can get him to fold but I think that you have a good chance of being ahead plus you can have outs if he's got 2 pair. (Of course if he's got the straight or AT you're in trouble.)

11-16-2005, 05:17 PM
I 3-bet the flop here, If he caps then I call and probably check/fold the turn. If he just calls the 3-bet then I bet the turn. With his VPIP number I don't think we can assume we are probably beat on the flop, he could be raising straight draw or overs.

As you played it, I think I would bet/fold the turn.

gharp
11-16-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold, methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]
meagrees.

Also, I used to raise KTo (and similar hands) when first in from MP (that is, 4 players to act behind me). King Yao convinced me to stop doing it, and I think he was right. So I fold this preflop.

2+2 wannabe
11-16-2005, 07:10 PM
BB checks, Hero bets, Button raises, BB folds, Hero folds

aargh57
11-16-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold, methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]
meagrees.

Also, I used to raise KTo (and similar hands) when first in from MP (that is, 4 players to act behind me). King Yao convinced me to stop doing it, and I think he was right. So I fold this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 6max, MP refers to the 2nd guy to act so there's actually only 2 guys to act after you. This is a standard open raise in 6max.

gharp
11-16-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bet/fold, methinks.

[/ QUOTE ]
meagrees.

[/ QUOTE ]

In 6max, MP refers to the 2nd guy to act so there's actually only 2 guys to act after you. This is a standard open raise in 6max.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm just counting the blinds in my left-to-act count.

Open-raising this hand (KTo) is specifically mentioned in Yao's book for this situation (well almost -- he actually says UTG in a 6-handed game, this would be UTG in a 5-handed game). It's Mistake #1 in "Common Mistakes in Shorthanded Play".

I used to think raising this was standard too, and I think it was costing me money. I was very frequently being reraised by better hands. You want to open up your preflop raising standards when playing shorthanded, but not open them up too much.

Having said all that, if everyone else after me is super-tight and really like folding, I'd probably open with it anyway. You still have to play the players -- but if the players behind me are loose and/or aggressive, it's getting ditched.

2+2 wannabe
11-17-2005, 04:20 AM
I don't usually raise KTo in MP - however, this table was quite passive so I felt raising KTo was +EV

I could be wrong, however

I guess I should read Yao's book again /images/graemlins/wink.gif