PDA

View Full Version : I need to do a complete virus scan/clean up of my comp

celiboy
11-16-2005, 03:24 PM
I have been bad at keeping an up to date anti virus program on my comp. Any decent free ones out there, or should I purchase one? I have found Norton to be of poor quality when I have used it in the past.

Sean D
11-16-2005, 03:58 PM
AVG is generally considered one of the better free AVs out there. I tried it a long time ago, and it was decent. I use Avast these days and am quite happy with it.

If you are looking to buy, Kapersky and Panda are some other good ones out there. I've found Norton to be way too resource-hungry.

11-16-2005, 04:21 PM
I use Kaspersky for my anti-virus, and have been very happy with it.

11-16-2005, 06:33 PM
I typically don't like norton products, but I've found that their antivirus catches more viruses than most of the others. For a couple of years I used mcafee, which never detected a virus. Then one random day I decided to uninstall and try symantec... which caught 7 viruses that mcafee had not seen.

SjPdX
11-16-2005, 06:39 PM
If you have cable internet, check with your provider for a free subscription to McAfee. Comcast and Cox both offer it to their cable internet subscribers.

For free anti virus, I've used Antivir. Its a european company, but my brother the computer tech has used it for years with no problems.