PDA

View Full Version : Bands with 2 drummers

ditto
11-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Having a debate about bands with 2 drummers and if they sound cool or not. We can't think of many:
Adam and the Ants - cool
Foo Fighters (at some live gigs) - cool

Can anyone think of any more?

MasterShakes
11-16-2005, 02:45 PM
Rush often sounds like they have two drummers (they don't), but they certainly sound cool.

daveymck
11-16-2005, 02:45 PM
NIN on pretty Hate Machine, well on the video for head like a hole I assume they were on the record.

Slipknot have mutliple percussionistsish as well.

daveymck
11-16-2005, 02:47 PM
I've got a really good double cd of Adam and the ants a shame he went nuts. He had a part on the Equaliser as well another blast from the past show I used to enjoy.

sleight
11-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Last time I saw ...and you will know us by the trail of dead they had two drum sets setup. It sounded good both when they were in sync and out.

asofel
11-16-2005, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Having a debate about bands with 2 drummers and if they sound cool or not. We can't think of many:
Adam and the Ants - cool
Foo Fighters (at some live gigs) - cool

Can anyone think of any more?

[/ QUOTE ]

Allman Brothers - 2 drummers and a percussionist - very cool

ditto
11-16-2005, 02:49 PM
yeah the videos were fantastic when I was a kid, stil got it on the mp3 player....
NIN at woodstock was a classic cd, I think that was drum heavy...

ditto
11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
yeah, I heard one of their tracks on the Almost Famous soundtrack, any other tracks I should look out for?

man
11-16-2005, 02:54 PM
grateful dead had two drummers, Bill Kreutzmann and Mickey Hart.

asofel
11-16-2005, 02:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, I heard one of their tracks on the Almost Famous soundtrack, any other tracks I should look out for?

[/ QUOTE ]

hmm....they go back decades and have a wide range of sounds...are you specifically looking for good drums/percussion?

One of their best songs that has it all is In Memory of Elizabeth Reed. It has some truly great playing by Duane, great drums, keys, and so on. Get the live from the fillmore version. Its a 13 min long instrumental that I never get tired of, adn you can hear the various drum parts throughout the song. They finish with a small tight drum solo that will give you an idea of how well jaymo and butch play together.

As far as more recent stuff, Instrumental Illness is a jazzy song with some great percussion in it that's worth checking out. Also, if you have patience and truly enjoy music, then I'd also check out Dreams, Blue Sky, Mountain Jam, Pegasus, Morning Dew, and Jessica to hear more of what they can do.

NotMitch
11-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Pavement did at first.

imported_The Vibesman
11-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Entrain has a couple good tunes.

offTopic
11-16-2005, 03:16 PM
Most of the time, I found this to be confusing. In the 80s, I recall seeing bands like .38 Special and The Grateful Dead having two drummers pretty much doing the same thing. I didn't see the point.

I attended a Genesis concert in 1987 or so, which was well done. Phil Collins doesn't play the drums on most of the songs, though, so I don't know if they "really" have two drummers. It's neat to see when he and Chester Thompson were jamming (In The Cage, for instance) especially because Thompson plays right-handed and Collins plays left-handed.

raisins
11-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Butthole Surfers - the early albums. Maybe _Hairway to Steven_ and all the ones before.

raisins

theghost
11-16-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Butthole Surfers - the early albums. Maybe _Hairway to Steven_ and all the ones before.

raisins

[/ QUOTE ]
Brother and sister, no less.

Blarg
11-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Adam and his Ants came to mind right away, like you said. They were pretty cool with that.

pooh74
11-16-2005, 03:58 PM
Pigface...saw them at Limelight back in the day and decided two drummers can be better than one. Also decided that Goth chicks kinda sucked.

11-16-2005, 04:02 PM
The Arcade Fire have two drummers, right? So do GY!BE.

Slow Play Ray
11-16-2005, 04:03 PM
<--- sometimes one, sometimes two.

It's cool if one is playing a regular drum kit and one is playing extra percussion, but if both drummers are playing a regular kit I don't see (or hear) the point.