PDA

View Full Version : What happens if someone hacks into your online bank...

KaneKungFu123
11-16-2005, 02:27 PM
and steals a few hundred thousand dollars from you? Is there anyway that you could get your money back? Would you be insured? Obviously, you try to protect your password, but it sure as hell itsnt bullet proof!

phish
11-16-2005, 02:47 PM
I believe that US laws (covering US banks only) puts the burden on the bank. The costumer is liable only for a very small amt. Don't know what other countries do.

obsidian
11-16-2005, 03:01 PM
This doesn't really answer your question. but I would seriously suggest getting a program like Password Safe (http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/) and using randomly generated passwords. This is one thing I made sure to do as my bankroll increased over $10k. I couldn't imagine not doing something like this with a few hundred thousand. Of course you may already do so.

KingMedicine
11-16-2005, 03:13 PM
what kind of "bank" are you talking about?

KaneKungFu123
11-16-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

neteller

Niediam
11-16-2005, 04:10 PM
But Neteller isn't a bank. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

KaneKungFu123
11-16-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But Neteller isn't a bank. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

then what is it?

DeadMoneyOC
11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
An online wallet

uncleshady
11-16-2005, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
An online wallet

[/ QUOTE ]

uh, so its an e-mugging then?

Freudian
11-16-2005, 04:44 PM
If it's Neteller, you most likely are SOL. Since Neteller automatically locks your account if you log in from another country, it offers a basic level of protection but it is hardly Fort Knox.

Your real bank probably will be more inclined in helping you out but there are no guarantees. Basically you are responsible for no one else being able to log into your accounts.

okayplayer
11-16-2005, 04:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

neteller

[/ QUOTE ]
Why would anyone keep money in Neteller?

Niediam
11-16-2005, 04:51 PM
An online entity who offers the service of transferring money between client accounts and other online entities.

mackthefork
11-16-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I believe that US laws (covering US banks only) puts the burden on the bank. The costumer is liable only for a very small amt. Don't know what other countries do.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the bank went broke you would get 90% upto 30k max of your money back from each account. In case of fraud most mainstream banks would see you right, I really wouldn't keep more than is absolutely necessary in Neteller if I was you. (UK)

Mack

TylerD
11-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Neteller is based in the UK and is floated on the stock exchange, they probably have to follow UK laws so your money is probably reasonably safe.

<----- Talking out of his arse.

11-16-2005, 06:03 PM
In the U.S., it would probably depend on whether the bank classifies you as a business customer or a consumer. If you are classified as a consumer, you have some protection. If you are classified as a business customer, watch out:

[ QUOTE ]
In April 2004, moments after logging on to his online account at work, Lopez spotted an entry revealing that someone had executed an electronic transfer of $90,348.65 to Parex Bank in Riga, Latvia. Lopez knew no one in Latvia. "I thought I was going to vomit," he recalls.

The next day, according to bank records, a mysterious figure named Yanson Arnold withdrew $20,000 in cash from Parex Bank, leaving $70,348.65 behind. Arnold has not been heard from since.

Bank of America disavowed responsibility, prompting Lopez to sue the bank in federal court in Miami to get his money back.

"We fully investigated his claims and determined that all of our internal protocols and security measures were in place," says Shirley Norton, a Bank of America spokeswoman.

In its defense, the bank has invoked an obscure section of the Uniform Commercial Code, state laws governing commercial contracts, which banks helped draft. It limits liability in delivering online services to businesses if certain safeguards are in effect.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.borderlandnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051114/BUSINESS/511140334/1003

I called my online broker (where I keep most of my money) and they assured me that no money can be transferred out of my account to an account owned by another person. Also, they said I could lock down access to my account from IP addresses I designate. I haven't done the lockdown yet, but probably should.

It may be a good idea to call Neteller and see what security measures they have in place. Maybe they can make it so that transfers from your account only go to bank accounts and poker sites you designate.

Lawrence Ng
11-16-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

neteller

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you?

Lawrence

BigF
11-16-2005, 09:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

neteller

[/ QUOTE ]

I can answer this question from my own experience.

If your Neteller money gets stolen, you will be at fault and Neteller won't pay you one penny.

That's why I only keep 2k in Neteller.

That's also why I cringe when I see posts like "I have 30k in Neteller. I rock...."

okayplayer
11-16-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

neteller

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you?

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of the title of this post. And more importantly, so I can have that money earning money. The only time I have money in there is when I am transferring in or out of a site.

moondogg
11-16-2005, 10:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

neteller

[/ QUOTE ]

I can answer this question from my own experience.

If your Neteller money gets stolen, you will be at fault and Neteller won't pay you one penny.

That's why I only keep 2k in Neteller.

That's also why I cringe when I see posts like "I have 30k in Neteller. I rock...."

[/ QUOTE ]

What if some steals your Neteller points? I got millions (yes, I rock)

Medra
11-17-2005, 12:24 AM
I'm sure you can have Neteller have some special authorization for large withdrawals on your account. Why not? Ask them.

11-17-2005, 12:41 AM
Kane,

The best advice I can give is to buy another computer and use it only for online transactions. Lock everything down, never surf the web on it, install software or use it for anything else but transactions. Password protect the machine. Set all restrictions to their highest level, and on your firewall only allow communication with cashier.partypoker.com (or whatever) and neteller.com (plus their live chat address). Such a machine will be virtually impossible to compromise, even if an expert was deliberately trying. $1000 (or whatever) is a small price to pay for security.

Other than that, request to your poker sites that you can only withdraw to a particular account/bank number. Ask neteller to lock down your login to your IP address only (or a small range), and to only allow cashouts to a specific bank routing number (or whatever).

The only risk then is someone at the companies being dishonest, but that should be traceable and you should be covered, especially if you can show that you took security precautions.

Regarding your actual question, banks will often not cover you, or only do so up to a certain amount. I've read many times of people having spyware on their computer and having their bank account cleared out, only to discover that they weren't covered at all.

BigF
11-17-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Regarding your actual question, banks will often not cover you, or only do so up to a certain amount. I've read many times of people having spyware on their computer and having their bank account cleared out, only to discover that they weren't covered at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course a real U.S. bank will "cover" you, as long as you report the fraud in time.

Isura
11-17-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

neteller

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why wouldn't you?

Lawrence

[/ QUOTE ]

Keeping 100k+ in neteller is not smart on many levels.

Maulik
11-17-2005, 01:53 AM
KKF- spread your money where your fish frequent.

greygoo
11-17-2005, 02:50 AM
Why not just get a Linux CD? You would just boot your machine from it and will have runnig OS with browser and possibly firewall which is going to be way more secure than your usual Windows box. It might not even hook up with your hard drive. You make all the transactions, take the CD out and reboot the machine. Nothing is cached, no passwords or certificates are saved anywhere.