PDA

View Full Version : Flopped Set, raised on turn

11-16-2005, 01:15 PM
Been at the table for about 20 hands, Villian seems fishy.

Should I have reraised the turn. What are the odds that he has 3 5 or 5 8? My thoughts are that he two paired the turn. Then the club comes on the river. Normally I would check call here, but his agression on the turn led me to think he was not on a flush draw. Since he didn't cap my reraise, I still think I probably have the best hand. Any thoughts?

PokerRoom 1/2 (10 handed)

Hero is UTG+1 with 4 /images/graemlins/spade.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

1 fold , Hero calls, UTG+2 calls, 1 fold , MP2 calls, MP3 calls, 1 fold , Button calls, SB completes, BB checks

Flop: (7 SB)
A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
SB checks, BB check, Hero bets , 1 fold , MP2 calls, 4 folds

Turn: (4.5 BB) 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero bets , <font color="red">MP2 raises </font> , <font color="red"> Hero reraises </font> , MP2 calls

River: (10.5 BB) J /images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero bets , MP2 calls

Final Pot: 12.5 BB

Reqtech
11-16-2005, 01:18 PM
Wow. 7 to the flop in 1/2? Nice!

I was about to say fold pf, but if this was fairly normal (such a loose passive table), I say well played.

11-16-2005, 01:19 PM
I like the reraise at the turn. Him not capping can let you be pretty sure he doesn't have the straight, or is just a real bad player who doesn't understand betting for value.

I bet the river.

jaxUp
[ QUOTE ]
Should I have reraised the turn. What are the odds that he has 3 5 or 5 8? My thoughts are that he two paired the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

good thinking. He's not likely to have a straight here, and if he does, you still have 10 outs. A 3-bet is correct

[ QUOTE ]
My thoughts are that he two paired the turn. Then the club comes on the river. Normally I would check call here

[/ QUOTE ]

you should be betting this every time, even if he just called the flop and turn. You will get called an awful lot by a worse hand.

Overall, the hand is well-played postflop, though there was a little flaw in your "standard" play that I outlined above.

milesdyson
standard hand. checking this river would be bad.

he mostly has aces up after the turn raise.

11-16-2005, 01:27 PM
If he showed no aggression on the turn and then I get raised on the river (instead of check/calling which you are saying is wrong) I assume I make a crying call there?

jaxUp
11-16-2005, 01:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If he showed no aggression on the turn and then I get raised on the river (instead of check/calling which you are saying is wrong) I assume I make a crying call there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I would call, but I think it's far from a "crying call." A crying call is when you have a very slim chance of winning. Here, I would still expect to win at least 1/4 of the time.

11-16-2005, 01:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was about to say fold pf, but if this was fairly normal (such a loose passive table), I say well played.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I ever fold this pre-flop? I have only been at 1/2 for about 10K hands, but from what I've seen there are not enough preflop raises to justify folding this?

BoogerFace
11-16-2005, 03:01 PM
*grunch*

I'd raise the turn everytime. Nice hand.

numeri
11-16-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would I ever fold this pre-flop? I have only been at 1/2 for about 10K hands, but from what I've seen there are not enough preflop raises to justify folding this?

[/ QUOTE ]
Some sites are pretty tight, and limping in EP with 22-55 can put you in some bad spots. It looks like you have a sweet table here and the limp is fine.

Also, my two cents: You played this perfectly. As others have stated, you'll see aces up more often than a straight. Often enough to call a river raise as well.

gonzopro
11-16-2005, 03:24 PM
*Grunch*

Pre-flop: I fold small pocket pairs UTG/UTG+1 unless the table is known to be loose passive and it is reasonable to assume that it is unlikely to be raised (which is exact;y what happened)

Flop: standard bet

Turn: I reraise this every time. The majority of the time villian has Ax and may have just paired his kicker or was just waiting for the turn to raise

River: bet/crying call - I agree that you look good here so I value bet it but a raise would probably indicate a flush.

A_K
11-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Grunch. I would play it the same. Pretty had to put this guy on a straight. Probably aces up or sixes and sevens. Obviously a 3-bet would be a little worrisome, but I'd probably cap.

11-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Grunsdfkerhreing...

Looks to me like he has A/small, maybe a pair. He was afraid of the 2 flush board and didnt want to pressure things. On the turn he would have capped if he had a hand.

I like this. He make a flush on the river?

11-16-2005, 07:49 PM
-GRuNCH-

I like the way you played this including the re-raise. I would think villain would raise any hand you don't beat on the river. My estimation would be he was playing a weak A and hit 2pr - that's just my guess though.

11-16-2005, 07:54 PM
grunch....

totally standard, turn 3bet is by far the optimising ev play. even if he has the straight and caps you still get a 10 out river

Stealthy
11-16-2005, 08:06 PM
Apart from the pre-flop limp UTG which was still OK if all those limpers was the norm then the whole hand is standard. Just keep punching that bet and raise button. Only slow down if he either caps the turn or raises the river with the 3 flush on board.