PDA

View Full Version : Essay Structure Question

11-16-2005, 01:03 PM
In a philosophy paper, should the arguments go in order of strongest to weakest or weakest to strongest?

Scotch78
11-16-2005, 03:17 PM
Neither is an optimal way to organize your paper. Without actually reading the paper, the best I can say is to begin with the most common or broadest argument and proceed through the sub- and counter-arguments as you critique the original.

Scott

11-16-2005, 05:42 PM
I'll send it to you as soon as I can turn it into something worth reading - probably on Friday. Of course, that's when it's due /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SonofJen
11-16-2005, 06:34 PM
Clearly define the problem, present your solution or reconciliation with the problem, acknoledge objections to your own theory/solution, address these concerns.

Don't be afraid to use the first person.
Don't worry about your writing sounding too dry (i.e. you don't need fancy introductions or transitions - just tell it like it is).
Oh, and REALLY make sure you understand the arguments before writing.

Check out Pryor on Phi Writing (http://www.princeton.edu/~jimpryor/general/writing.html ) for a much more comprehensive explanation on what it takes to write a good philosophy paper.

Good luck!

Scotch78
11-16-2005, 08:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'll send it to you as soon as I can turn it into something worth reading - probably on Friday. Of course, that's when it's due

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the paper on SK, right?

Scott

11-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Yes, comparing the concept of sickness in SK and FN.

Scotch78
11-16-2005, 08:43 PM
I have some time tonight, e-mail it to Since1978ataol.com and we can work on it over IM.

Scott

11-16-2005, 09:12 PM
I've got to stop working on it for now. I'd send you what I have but it's honestly not worth it -- still pretty unclear and fragmented. I'd rather wait till it's more complete.

bearly
11-18-2005, 12:29 AM
i assume you are making your own arguments, not rehashing what other's have said; in which case there should be no weak arguments. if you are doing a 'cut and paste' job, any decent professor will be turned off at the use of the weak arguments as a foil---therefore, simply identify the weak arguments for what they are and move on.........b