PDA

View Full Version : Greatest Western of All Time - Elite Eight

swede123
11-16-2005, 01:00 PM
Well, say what you will about the monkeys who rate movies at IMDB, they got this one right. Seven out of the eight left are one or two seeds. Only Josey Wales (a six seed) managed to hang in there so far.

I predict Unforgiven crushing High Noon, Once Upon a Time in the West barely beating Josey Wales, and after this round there won't be anymore John Wayne movies left standing.

Let's see our matchups!

TheBlueMonster
11-16-2005, 01:03 PM
welll, let's hope that The Searchers makes it to the next round. Substance over fluff.

Peter666
11-16-2005, 01:08 PM
It's a shame that "Red River" and "The Wild Bunch" did not make it to this round. I like Clint Eastwood, but his movies are being singnificantly overrated by you guys. They have a definite cool factor, but are aesthetically inferior to the others.

SL__72
11-16-2005, 01:33 PM
I can't believe The Searchers is losing here /images/graemlins/frown.gif I think I voted for 4 "losers" here though.

trotski
11-16-2005, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't believe The Searchers is losing here /images/graemlins/frown.gif I think I voted for 4 "losers" here though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, this is a travesty.

diebitter
11-16-2005, 02:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, some of us know the searchers should be top 2 at least, so let's just live with it... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

imported_The Vibesman
11-16-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I'll be 2 for 4 here, which is the best percentage I've put up in any of these polls. Such a bummer about The Searchers.

John Ford represent, dammit!

samjjones
11-16-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like I'll be 2 for 4 here, which is the best percentage I've put up in any of these polls. Such a bummer about The Searchers.

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I think "How Green Was My Valley" would win for best Welsh mining picture...

imported_The Vibesman
11-16-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I think "How Green Was My Valley" would win for best Welsh mining picture...

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Blarg
11-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Anything older almost automatically doesn't get picked in OOT and that makes polls like this a little tilted, but I guess they can show us what people think about the movies of their childhood or ones they saw more recently.

I'm glad at least one of my favorites is doing very well.

TheBlueMonster
11-16-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
seriously, it should at least be a top 2

Blarg
11-16-2005, 04:23 PM
High Noon won't make it either, which is a shame.

fnord_too
11-16-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and after this round there won't be anymore John Wayne movies left standing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amazingly "The Searchers" is trailing Butch Cassidy, so you may be correct here.

fnord_too
11-16-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
seriously, it should at least be a top 2

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not in my top two, but it is way ahead BC&TSK in my book. I will be pretty dissapointed if Butch Cassidy makes it to the final two or wins.

Also... Sergio Leone represent!

11-16-2005, 04:32 PM
I actually just finished watching the Good, the Bad and the Ugly last night after purchasing the DVD at a 3/20 sale (best deal ever?). It was even better than the first two times I watched it.

GB&U, Unforgiven and Once Upon a Time... are my favorite westerns, I guess you guys didn't need my help up til now.

Where did the Magnificent Seven exit?

Gary

Blarg
11-16-2005, 04:33 PM
Sergio Leone is a god. I'm happy that The Good, the Bad, and The Ugly is doing well. I've rewatched that film countless times and I'm not even a fan of Westerns.

imported_The Vibesman
11-16-2005, 04:34 PM
I think Seven exited last round, losing to Butch and Sundance, which I was disappointed in as well.

Are there a lot of chicks voting in this or something? I always really liked Butch and Sundance, but thought of it as "The Western Most Likely To Appeal To Women."

swede123
11-16-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It lost out to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in the last round. A fairly close one actually, closer than the match-up The Searchers in this round.

Swede

Blarg
11-16-2005, 04:52 PM
Didn't you see the poll on would you let a chick do you with a strap-on in here a couple days ago? Huge response, most saying yes. I think a sentimental western with a couple of hunks is right up OOT's...er...alley.

Army Eye
11-16-2005, 08:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, say what you will about the monkeys who rate movies at IMDB, they got this one right. Seven out of the eight left are one or two seeds. Only Josey Wales (a six seed) managed to hang in there so far.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually find IMDB ratings to be extremely reliable. Whenever I'm on the fence about watching a movie, if it's got a 7.0 or higher on IMDB I watch and am rarely disappointed.

The only time the ratings are really off is with fanboy-sensitive movies like LOTR, Matrix, Star Wars etc.

imported_anacardo
11-16-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually find IMDB ratings to be extremely reliable. Whenever I'm on the fence about watching a movie, if it's got a 7.0 or higher on IMDB I watch and am rarely disappointed.

The only time the ratings are really off is with fanboy-sensitive movies like LOTR, Matrix, Star Wars etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMDB ratings also tend to be highly sensitive to inflation for recent release dates. Remember when Amelie was like #2 overall?

Borodog
11-16-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It lost out to Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid in the last round.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just awful. I'm pissed I've missed the rounds since the opener.

What did A Fistful of Dollars lose to? Whatever it was, it was a travesty.

Edit: Ok, I looked up the last round, and laughed my ass off. /images/graemlins/blush.gif

TheMainEvent
11-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Sorry guys, I've been voting in this the whole time and I've only seen like 3 of the movies.

SackUp
11-16-2005, 10:41 PM
No John Wayne movies making the final four is just pathetic. He is the king of westerns, period. Eastwood is good, but he's no Duke.

Blarg
11-16-2005, 10:44 PM
I like Eastwood a hell of a lot better, but the real argument for the Duke's films is that John Ford directed some of them.

Army Eye
11-16-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

IMDB ratings also tend to be highly sensitive to inflation for recent release dates. Remember when Amelie was like #2 overall?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes good point, you do need to wait a while on new movies for things to settle down. I like to use it a tool more for older movies anyway, with new releases there's reviews to read and word of mouth.

CCass
11-16-2005, 11:31 PM
Actually, I think The Outlaw Josey Wales is one of the better westerns, and is generally underrated.

swede123
11-17-2005, 12:31 PM
Seems like my predictions are mostly coming true. Now if Once Upon a Time in the West can get a few more votes. Sorry John Wayne fans, the dream ends here.

Swede

MonkeeMan
11-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Time to head on out Pilgrim.

diebitter
11-17-2005, 01:34 PM
OUATITW and the Searchers - both out!

Great Odin's Raven, there's some educating to be done somewhere /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fishwhenican
11-17-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I think The Outlaw Josey Wales is one of the better westerns, and is generally underrated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed!

Where else can you get things like:
"Fletcher, there's an old saying: To the victors belong the spoils.
There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining. "
and
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is"
and
"I didn't surrender, but they took my horse and made him surrender. They have him pulling a wagon up in Kansas I bet."
and of course!
"Get ready, little lady. Hell is coming to breakfast!"

andyfox
11-18-2005, 02:58 PM
I imagine a lot more voters have seen Butch Cassidy than The Searchers. That's also probably why High Noon and Liberty Valance are not doing well.

fnord_too
11-18-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I imagine a lot more voters have seen Butch Cassidy than The Searchers. That's also probably why High Noon and Liberty Valance are not doing well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I think both High Noon and Liberty Valance are far below the films they are paired with. I also think the same of Butch Cassidy, but it's winning nonetheless.

Guilty admission: I have only seen small snippets of The Outlaw Jose Wales, so I don't really know how it stacks up agains Once Upon a Time in the West. I do know the latter is a mighty fine film (but still my third or fourth favorite Leone film, my god that man had vision.)

SL__72
11-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Outlaw Josey Wales is probably my favorite Clint Eastwood western.

imported_anacardo
11-18-2005, 03:48 PM
One seeds all the way, foolz!

Does this mean that I have very 'classical' Western tastes, that Swede set up a kickass seeding system, or both?

John Cole
11-18-2005, 04:46 PM
the voters get it dead wrong.

RunDownHouse
11-18-2005, 05:04 PM
Holy moly, I just checked this contest for the first time, and it looks like High Noon, The Searchers, and The Wild Bunch are all going to be shut out of the final four. I shouldn't be surprised with all the high schoolers running around, but that's a damn shame.

SL__72
11-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Voting for one seeds doesn't mean you have "classical" western tastes... in fact it probably means the opposite.

Tilt
11-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Unforgiven should win. Period. Not only is it the best Western, it would fare very well in the voting for best movie of all time.

diebitter
11-18-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unforgiven should win. Period. Not only is it the best Western, it would fare very well in the voting for best movie of all time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen all the others in the list?

11-18-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I like Eastwood a hell of a lot better, but the real argument for the Duke's films is that John Ford directed some of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Give me Hank Fonda in a Ford film any day

Gary

Dominic
11-18-2005, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Man Who Shot LV should've gotten a pass to the Final Four. THAT'S a great film.

Blarg
11-18-2005, 07:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you seen all the others in the list?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a symptom of people being only familiar with a very limited number of movies.

swede123
11-18-2005, 07:37 PM
Here's a general observation. In each of my previous movie polls there's been a fair amount of bitching when various classics got punked, but nothing compares to the amount of frustration and anger voiced over this one. I guess the movie buffs around here REALLY care about their westerns.

Like I said before, the thing I enjoy about these polls is discovering "new" stuff to watch. And this particular one featured quite a few movies that I've never seen, including one of the eight remaining in this round - Liberty Valance. Where am I going with all this? I guess I need to go out and buy a John Wayne collection pronto!

Swede

SL__72
11-18-2005, 08:11 PM
Yes, yes you do.