PDA

View Full Version : banning people from a specific forum

astroglide
11-16-2005, 12:51 PM
is there a way that i can stop people from posting in OOT but they retain their access to 2+2/ability to post in other forums?

BottlesOf
11-16-2005, 01:21 PM
You merely tell them that they are banned/exiled from OOT and cannot post there. If they do post there, then you ban them for realz. That's how we've been doing it.

AngryCola
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is there a way that i can stop people from posting in OOT but they retain their access to 2+2/ability to post in other forums?

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone wants this, but apparently it's not possible with the current software.

[censored] used to 'exile' people, though. I believe the basic idea was that if a person was caught posting in OOT after being exiled, it would mean a suspension or ban from the whole site.

B Dids
11-16-2005, 01:48 PM
Looking at the software it seems very possible.

It appears that people can be subscribed to a specific forum, so what you have to do is basically subscribe them to all, and then unselect OOT.

Although this hinges exactly on what "subscribed" means.

If this functionality does not exist, it would be nice if it did. There's some people who are great strat posters but really fail when it comes to off-topic forums.

Mat Sklansky
11-16-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm going to test this theory on your account, so don't be concerned if it works, i'll put it back.

Mat Sklansky
11-16-2005, 02:06 PM
nothing happened. i don't know what the subscriptions mean

stabn
11-16-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
nothing happened. i don't know what the subscriptions mean

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's supposed to email you posts or something. Hopefully dids just got hella spammed /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

B Dids
11-16-2005, 02:23 PM
I didn't even get hella spammed /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Also I didn't notice this was happening and likely was able to got into OOT while I was "banned" from it.

That's a letdown.

I know that this is something that most forum software can do. The other phpBB boards that I've used have these kind of tools.

Does this mean that people can find the mod forum if they actually look for it?

durron597
11-16-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Does this mean that people can find the mod forum if they actually look for it?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just logged out and tried it... no.

B Dids
11-16-2005, 02:50 PM
Which does mean that there's a way, although obviously it's easier to let people in than keep them out I imagine, and granting access to OOT for every new poster seems like a nightmare.

Greg J
11-16-2005, 03:28 PM
Happy b day dude.

durron597
11-16-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Which does mean that there's a way, although obviously it's easier to let people in than keep them out I imagine, and granting access to OOT for every new poster seems like a nightmare.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I had to guess it's possible to make a forum that "only allows the following people" but not "blocks the following people".

Mat Sklansky
11-16-2005, 03:53 PM
It allows groups. There are only three: user, moderators, and admnistrators. This forum blocks all "users."

MrWookie47
11-16-2005, 04:11 PM
Can we make a group of "OK for OOT" that everyone is a member of by default, and then remove them from that group as necessary?

astroglide
11-16-2005, 05:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Can we make a group of "OK for OOT" that everyone is a member of by default, and then remove them from that group as necessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would appreciate such a feature, but if a software change is in the near future i think it might be more trouble than it's worth. it depends on what kind of scripts chuck has for mass db changes and that sort of thing. if he's relying on ubb admin software, such a thing may prove to be repetitive and manual.

stabn
11-16-2005, 07:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be easier to make a "not ok for oot" group and change anyone who is a [censored] to that access level instead of user? Then oot can have a deny access level to the "not ok for oot" group.

AngryCola
11-17-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Happy b day dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! It has been a good one.