PDA

View Full Version : Suppose you had a daughter

11-16-2005, 12:40 PM
So at a dinner party last night in mixed company, including a pregnant woman, we started talking about raising children. Specifically, how we would raise different sexes. The people at they party ranged in age from 23-28, and pretty much every man agreed that they'd rather have a son, while the women wanted children both a son and a daughter, for the most part. They asked why the men only wanted a son, and I explained it as "if I had a daughter, I would worry that she would meet someone like me when I was her age (who basically just wants to SIIHP) and thus would sit outside on a porch with a shotgun"

The women were somewhat horrified. I'd try my best to intimidate the bejesus out of anyone that dates my daughter while still having a caring, loving, relationship with her. OOT's thoughts?

(note: I might be able to simplify this problem by using the Chinese methods of abortion...)

MaxPower
11-16-2005, 12:45 PM
If women really knew what was going on in men's heads, they would be horrified. They would probably never leave the house.

PokerFink
11-16-2005, 12:47 PM
Please. My female friends are bigger sluts than most of my guy friends.

vulturesrow
11-16-2005, 12:56 PM
I have 3 daughters and I feel exactly as you do. As one of my friends put it, if you have a son, you only have to worry about 1 penis, if you have a daughter, you have to worry about a lot of them. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Macedon
11-16-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pretty much every man agreed that they'd rather have a son

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a daughter and a son and I can tell you that you and your male friends would be missing out if you never had a daughter. Worrying about men's interest in taking advantage of your daughter is understandable, but that is not a good enough reason not to want to have girls.

Overdrive
11-16-2005, 01:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If women really knew what was going on in men's heads, they would be horrified. They would probably never leave the house.

[/ QUOTE ]

If men knew what was really going on in women's heads they would never get married or they would turn gay. Most women are gold diggin' ho's who want to marry you, divorce you, and then take 50% of your income for the rest of your life. Women are also an awful lot sluttier than you seem to imagine. There is a short supply of really good ones, and if you can find one hold on and don't let her get away. If that's what you want of course.

Aloysius
11-16-2005, 01:18 PM
I always thought the main driver for men preferring sons over daughters = to have a little version of themselves, play sports with them, live through them etc., didn't realize that the whole "dudes wanting to bang my daughter" thing played such a role.

Overdrive
11-16-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought the main driver for men preferring sons over daughters = to have a little version of themselves, play sports with them, live through them etc., didn't realize that the whole "dudes wanting to bang my daughter" thing played such a role.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that would be pretty disturbing. If you are a man and you don't want to have a daughter because you fear she will get banged like a drunken monkey one day you have big problems with sexuality, and yourself.

swede123
11-16-2005, 01:25 PM
I'd like both, of course. That being said if I could only pick one I'd probably pick a son. Why? Cause I'm lazy. Boys are so simple compared to girls, in everything from picking clothes and maintaining personal hygeine to dealing with the opposite sex and accepting their body. What if something happened to my wife and I had to raise the kid on my own. I'm sure I'd do a good job with a girl but it'd be a hell of a lot harder than raising a boy I think.

Swede

MaxPower
11-16-2005, 01:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please. My female friends are bigger sluts than most of my guy friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that's true, but it has nothing to do with my statement.

r3vbr
11-16-2005, 01:32 PM
Boys have higher ROIC!
/images/graemlins/cool.gif

MaxPower
11-16-2005, 01:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If men knew what was really going on in women's heads they would never get married or they would turn gay. Most women are gold diggin' ho's who want to marry you, divorce you, and then take 50% of your income for the rest of your life. Women are also an awful lot sluttier than you seem to imagine. There is a short supply of really good ones, and if you can find one hold on and don't let her get away. If that's what you want of course.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comment had nothing to do with the sluttiness or non-sluttiness of women in general. It is more a matter of how safe they feel. That's what I meant.

I think you might be listening to a little too much rap.

11-16-2005, 01:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If men knew what was really going on in women's heads they would never get married or they would turn gay. Most women are gold diggin' ho's who want to marry you, divorce you, and then take 50% of your income for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you think this is what's going on in our heads? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

vulturesrow
11-16-2005, 02:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah that would be pretty disturbing. If you are a man and you don't want to have a daughter because you fear she will get banged like a drunken monkey one day you have big problems with sexuality, and yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a moran. Its human nature for men to be very protective of their daughters. It has nothing to with "having big problems with sexuality".

Vavavoom
11-16-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 3 daughters and I feel exactly as you do. As one of my friends put it, if you have a son, you only have to worry about 1 penis, if you have a daughter, you have to worry about a lot of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how most men think....That combined with some of the situations they have been in - I dread to think what a daughter of mine could possibly get involved in...

StevieG
11-16-2005, 02:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

You are a moran. Its human nature for men to be very protective of their daughters. It has nothing to with "having big problems with sexuality".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's human nature to be protective of children, period. Just the scenarios you worry about might be different for boys and girls. For boys I'd worry about some showing off/posturing incident escalating into a stabbing or worse.

chessforlife
11-16-2005, 02:27 PM
she's gonna be screwing wether you like it or not.

would you rather she be a lesbian?

imported_The Vibesman
11-16-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Boys are so simple compared to girls, in everything from picking clothes and maintaining personal hygeine to dealing with the opposite sex and accepting their body. What if something happened to my wife and I had to raise the kid on my own. I'm sure I'd do a good job with a girl but it'd be a hell of a lot harder than raising a boy I think.

Swede

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't have kids, but The Vibesgirl has three, two of one and one of the other. From what I know of them and of her comments, Swede is absolutely correct here, and it's not just men that find daughters harder to raise.

HopeydaFish
11-16-2005, 02:28 PM
I grew up with 2 younger sisters. Both of them got pregnant at 15. One had an abortion, the other kept the baby (he's 6 now).

So yeah, I kind of see where you're coming from.

splashpot
11-16-2005, 02:31 PM
Kinda off topic, but my friends and I (college students) pondering a question relating to daughters. If you could only have one, would you rather your daughter be smart or hot?

11-16-2005, 02:31 PM
[quote
If men knew what was really going on in women's heads they would never get married or they would turn gay. Most women are gold diggin' ho's who want to marry you, divorce you, and then take 50% of your income for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ] wow! someone must have done a number on you! I'm not saying we are perfect, but I've never turned anyone gay!

Tilt
11-16-2005, 02:34 PM
I have a daughter and a son, both very young.

What should I be afraid of? Did you rape girls in your youth? If I raise her well enough to make good choices based on what she wants, and teach her to be safe, what else am I afraid of?

StevieG
11-16-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If I raise her well enough to make good choices based on what she wants, and teach her to be safe, what else am I afraid of?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I hope to do.

StevieG
11-16-2005, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
would you rather your daughter be smart or hot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Smart, without hesitation.

Women trying to get by on their looks are a dime a dozen and working with a small window of opportunity.

fnord_too
I have 2 daughters, the elder is two years old. I have been thinking of intervention and intimidation tactics and screening criteria for her would be suitors since the ultra sound where we found out we were having a daughter. Before that it was more just contingency thinking.

I'm fine with having only daughters. The flip side of having a son is that if he is like what I was like in my late teens early twenties, I would probably die of stress.

diebitter
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If I raise her well enough to make good choices based on what she wants, and teach her to be safe, what else am I afraid of?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I want my daughter to be an independent adult as soon as she's able to be, and I want her to be happy and fulfilled, even if that means sleeping around or whatever (once she's adult, that is).

But I know, deep down, if she's young, and I see a guy who looks like trouble, I'll be having to work hard to resist the urge to threaten to cut him if he hurts her or treats her badly /images/graemlins/blush.gif

scotty34
11-16-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kinda off topic, but my friends and I (college students) pondering a question relating to daughters. If you could only have one, would you rather your daughter be smart or hot?

[/ QUOTE ]

This better not be close

diebitter
11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wow. someone with less brains than a macaque rhesus monkey after the first course at a vietnamese wedding banquet. Awesome!

fnord_too
11-16-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I want my daughter to be an independent adult as soon as she's able to be, and I want her to be happy and fulfilled, even if that means sleeping around or whatever (once she's adult, that is).

But I know, deep down, if she's young, and I see a guy who looks like trouble, I'll be having to work hard to resist the urge to threaten to cut him if he hurts her or treats her badly /images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking to a guy with two early twenty's daughters. He sais he has had some "Come to Jesus" meetings with potential dates in his front yard, but those were stories best told over beers (we were in a busines development meeting).

Tilt
11-16-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have 2 daughters, the elder is two years old. I have been thinking of intervention and intimidation tactics and screening criteria for her would be suitors since the ultra sound where we found out we were having a daughter. Before that it was more just contingency thinking.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have news for you. In the heat of the moment, the boy with your daughter won't be thinking about you, what you think of him, or the consequences you may have in store for his actions.

BottlesOf
11-16-2005, 02:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"if I had a daughter, I would worry that she would meet someone like me when I was her age (who basically just wants to SIIHP) and thus would sit outside on a porch with a shotgun"

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear this view expressed all the time and I really don't get it. I'm not married and don't have kids so maybe I "just can't understand," but if I had a daughter I wouldn't be deathly afraid of her dating or having sex, as long as I felt she was old enough. Exactly how old that would be, I'm not sure, it would depend on how mature she was, but would def. be while she was in high school.

Cancer Merchant
11-16-2005, 03:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]

(note: I might be able to simplify this problem by using the Chinese methods of abortion...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, the Chinese worry me. They're having 12 boys for every 10 girls. In the near future, they're going to be stuck with a ton of pissed off young men with no marriage prospects, with a military and an economy that can start to throw its weight around.

arod15
11-16-2005, 03:08 PM
Dum and hot cause she will go further in life....

Aloysius
11-16-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dum and hot cause she will go further in life....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm actually on the fence about what to pick. My instincts say go with the smart ugly daughter... but I'm not so sure.

I think dumber / hotter daughter has greater likelihood of living a happier life. I think wanting the smarter uglier daugher might actually be more selfish.

Miggo
11-16-2005, 03:26 PM
I'll throw this in too. I have 2 girls, and 2 boys. Girls are in high school, boys are in middle school. When the boys fight, one punches the other and the argument is over and they're buddies again. When the girls get pissed at each other, the screaming and yelling can go on for weeks.

On a side note, my son likes to tell my daughters boyfriends that his dad was going to kill the first boyfriend he finds out about, and that word would spread and he wouldn't have to worry about his daughters having boyfriends. I always smile at my daughters boyfriend when he says that. We laugh about it, but I always wonder what the boy thinks about. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aytumious
11-16-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They asked why the men only wanted a son, and I explained it as "if I had a daughter, I would worry that she would meet someone like me when I was her age (who basically just wants to SIIHP) and thus would sit outside on a porch with a shotgun"

The women were somewhat horrified. I'd try my best to intimidate the bejesus out of anyone that dates my daughter while still having a caring, loving, relationship with her. OOT's thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a good strategy if you want to raise a very rebellious daughter who will end up dating exactly the kind of guys you hoped she wouldn't.

11-16-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From what I know of them and of her comments, Swede is absolutely correct here, and it's not just men that find daughters harder to raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would much rather have sons. Daughters are twice the stress and twice the cost to raise.

PokerFink
11-16-2005, 04:09 PM
[smart/ugly or dumb/hot?]

Smart and ugly. Not as high-maintenance.