PDA

View Full Version : How do I use a cell phone to connect to dial-up ISP?

CRF250X
11-16-2005, 11:45 AM
I moved outside of the city and I can no longer get DSL or cable internet. My only option now is dial-up. This wouldn't bother me if it wasn't for the fact that phone service is horrible in my area. I can hear static on the phone and it causes me to lose the connection to poker sites anywhere from 2 to 10 times per hour.

Cell service seems to be better. I was wondering if there was a way to connect my cell phone to my PC and use it to connect to my dial-up ISP instead of connecting using the regular phone line. I don't want to use the cell internet service, I just want to use the cell phone as a normal phone to connect. Has anyone ever done this?

Sean D
11-16-2005, 03:16 PM
I think its gonna depend on what cell phone you have. I have a Motorola e815 and I believe it is possible to do so. Check out http://www.howardforums.com , they should be able to answer any questions you may have.

11-16-2005, 06:31 PM
It definitely depends on the phone. You'd get much better connection speeds if you used the phones internet service. Sprint and Verizon both offer broadband over the phones now, which is quite a good price considering what you get.