PDA

View Full Version : What ROR should I accept for my roll?

DavidC
11-16-2005, 11:30 AM
I have access to a 10k line of credit that I'm not including in my roll. That would prevent me from having to get a real job, but would require a certain amount of emotional distress to use.

What ROR should I assign to my bankroll when making gambling decisions?

I'm 24 with no dependents and not a ton of assets. I don't want to go broke.

Specifically should I be looking at making a 0.1% chance of busting or a 0.01% chance?

Is there some rule of thumb that you guys use?

--Dave.

Mark1808
11-16-2005, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have access to a 10k line of credit that I'm not including in my roll. That would prevent me from having to get a real job, but would require a certain amount of emotional distress to use.

What ROR should I assign to my bankroll when making gambling decisions?

I'm 24 with no dependents and not a ton of assets. I don't want to go broke.

Specifically should I be looking at making a 0.1% chance of busting or a 0.01% chance?

Is there some rule of thumb that you guys use?

--Dave.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, poker is a hobby not a way to make a living. Also, you should never be gambling with borrowed money! Even if you grind out a living do you really want to waste your youth playing endless hours of poker? There is more money and more fun to be had trying to make a real living.

DavidC
11-16-2005, 05:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, poker is a hobby not a way to make a living. Also, you should never be gambling with borrowed money! Even if you grind out a living do you really want to waste your youth playing endless hours of poker? There is more money and more fun to be had trying to make a real living.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a lot of wisdom in what you say.

However, I'm curious what my ROR should be (excluding the line of credit).

For example, what do some of you guys accept for your ROR?

--Dave.

SunOfBeach
11-17-2005, 07:51 PM
i think it'd be perfectly reasonable to play with a 1% risk of ruin, and to modify the level at which you play as you win/lose accordingly.

the more relevant criteria is: based on the data youve collected so far, if you play bound by a 1% ROR, would you make enough money to be satisfied? to pay down the credit line so as to play with just your own money, in some reasonable period of time? etc...