PDA

View Full Version : 44 in BB

betgo
11-16-2005, 10:49 AM
Live tournament 12 players left. You have slightly above average stack of T98K. Blinds 4K/8K/1K. Folded to button with T120K who raises to 25K. Sb folds. You have 44 in BB. What do you do?

kuro
11-16-2005, 10:57 AM
Stop and go because I've probably been so push happy preflop 6 handed that I get called if I push.

ansky451
11-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Push in a heartbeat. You have folding equity... a lot.

betgo
11-16-2005, 01:52 PM
Isn't this an easy fold with an above average stack and only 3 players needing to be knocked out to make the final table?

Sam T.
11-16-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Isn't this an easy fold with an above average stack and only 3 players needing to be knocked out to make the final table?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on the payout strucure. But I'm shoving.

pokerstudAA
11-16-2005, 02:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have folding equity... a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This part is certainly true. However, big stack might have a hand or might decide QJ or 88 is good enough if he puts you on a play. I think I let him have this one.

Rizen
11-16-2005, 02:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the payout structure?? What has the table been like, and do you have any reads on villian here??

I think the push is pretty standard here. You've got plenty of FE, and the push is superior to the stop n go here IMO (If you had closer to 50-60k chips I like a stop n go a lot more).

With reads or a payout structure that is highly rewarding to just making the final table I could lay this down, but it would be read dependant and non-standard.

-Rizen

betgo
11-16-2005, 05:20 PM
I took this from p247-250 of <u>How to Win No Limit Holdem Tournaments</u> by Vines and McEvoy. Vines was BB in this hand and Cloutier the button.

Vines reraised to 75K and Cloutier pushed for 23K more. Cloutier had AKs. The flop came 245 giving Vines a set and Cloutier a nut flush draw and gutshot. Cloutier made a flush on the river and finished 2nd.

The analysis was that Vines should have folded to the button raise, as he could easily have folded into the final table. The authors also state that Cloutier should have folded AKs to the reraise, as he was probably behind a pp.

I am not making this up. This is more ridiculous than some of the weak/tight stuff in Cloutier and McEvoy.

Obviously, both players have to put the money in, as with AA vs. KK with earlier position and deeper money. Notice Cloutier finished 2nd. If Vines had one the hand, he probably would have finished high also. With typical payout structures, flipping to double up is $EV+ at this stage. Plus you can't play weak/tight and let people steal or resteal.

ansky451
11-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Wow that is horrific advice.

betgo
11-16-2005, 06:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow that is horrific advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have already added it to the next addition of my "Guide to NLHE Tournament Play".

If you don't believe me, check it out in the bookstore.