PDA

View Full Version : 5/10 Folding KK preflop?

fuzzbox
11-16-2005, 05:31 AM
5/10 6-max

Stacks about 1k
Villain has raised pf a few times, and then check/folded the flop. Even raised from the SB and check folded a J22 flop. Other than that, noting remarkable

Villain opens to 40 UTG, hero next to speak makes it 120 with K/images/graemlins/club.gifK/images/graemlins/spade.gif, folded around to villain who makes it 350 to go. Hero thinks and folds.

Good ? Bad ?

11-16-2005, 05:35 AM
If he is only capable of making this re-raise pre flop with AA then good. Other than that bad.

etizzle
11-16-2005, 05:35 AM
eh, i go broke

11-16-2005, 05:58 AM
minireraise and fold to a push, obv..

flawless_victory
11-16-2005, 06:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If he is only capable of making this re-raise pre flop with AA then good. Other than that bad.

[/ QUOTE ]
wow.
that some seriously thought provoking analysis.

11-16-2005, 06:05 AM
what do we think about smooth calling here? looks like he is pretty scared of post-flop play. after the flop, you will probably know for sure if he has AA. if he bets out big, you fold, if he checks, the pot is yours. does this make sense to anyone else, or does it seem like a bad play?

fuzzbox
11-16-2005, 08:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what do we think about smooth calling here? looks like he is pretty scared of post-flop play. after the flop, you will probably know for sure if he has AA. if he bets out big, you fold, if he checks, the pot is yours. does this make sense to anyone else, or does it seem like a bad play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant imagine him checking any hand on the flop regardless of the flop, if I call this.

fuzzbox
11-16-2005, 08:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
minireraise and fold to a push, obv..

[/ QUOTE ]

I put over half my stack in and THEN fold? Min reraise would have me making it 580 to play. If he then pushes then I would have to call 420 to win 1600 and I would be getting close to the right price even if he does have AA.

Surely this is a bad plan.

11-16-2005, 08:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I cant imagine him checking any hand on the flop regardless of the flop, if I call this.

[/ QUOTE ]

he said something earlier about raising from the sb and then check/folding to J22....granted i can probably assume the raise from the sb wasn't to 350.

fuzzbox
11-16-2005, 08:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

he said something earlier about raising from the sb and then check/folding to J22....granted i can probably assume the raise from the sb wasn't to 350.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that was to 35. Not such a big deal. A 700 preflop pot with 650 in both stacks, does not make for much flop-checking.

11-16-2005, 08:25 AM
i still say you have a favorable position here smooth calling if you feel confident w/your post-flop play, which you probably do since you're playing at this level to begin with. there's nothing worse than having a big hand like AA out of position and getting smooth called. you put him in a horrible spot after the flop if you just call here. i don't think you can fold KK pre-flop in this spot based on the guy's play. raising here puts you in a position where you may immediately have to fold after putting a lot more money in. i really think calling here puts you in the best spot, and you can make a better decision based on his action post-flop. the worst thing i can really see happening is him having QQ, spiking the Q, and checking it to you on the flop. but hey, i'll take my odds on that not happening.

punter11235
11-16-2005, 08:39 AM
I like it.
Generally you dont see much 3 betting preflop at 5/10 if somebody suddenly does it he is very likely to have AA or KK (I would estimate it to about 80% for avg player). There 6 combos of AA and only one of KK left. Even if my assupmtions are off he should've AA here more than 50% of the time. Its just too much granted you will lose some (if not all) money postflop if you decide to play.
I like AA vs KK to be my moneymaking situations this requres folding KK from time to time I think most ppl are simply incapable of that. So I like the fold.

Best wishes

whitelime
11-16-2005, 08:41 AM
Folding is fine. Going all-in is fine. Calling and going broke on any A-less flop is fine.

The only truely poor decision you can make in this situation is to call and fold on an A-less flop.

Dr. Strangelove
11-16-2005, 08:42 AM
6 max. If you are going to dump this you should have a good reason.

I once raised an unknown's BB with JJ in a 10 handed game. He just calls, flop all unders, I bet flop, turn, river, he calls all the way and shows KK, says he always runs into AA when he's dealt KK. I'm very aggressive and I was in a steal position, my hand range was very wide, no reason to think I had a hand even as strong as JJ let alone AA.

A couple hands later this same guy opens from early position and is raised by a tight aggressive regular. UTG raiser reraises the pot, tag regular folds and shows KK. Easiest KK preflop fold ever.

THAT is having a good reason.

11-16-2005, 09:11 AM
2 other reasons i like calling in this position. if this is a tight player, and he does have AA, there is a possibility you can bet him off the hand post-flop. even if this is a very very small possibility, it is infinitely larger than you getting him off of it pre-flop. secondly, if you feel like he is just going to push after any flop, you know you are going to take his stack if you spike your K. then again, i guess this will only apply if you consider call/folding.

JKratzer
11-16-2005, 09:20 AM
fold is fine. i think you see AA 90%+.

JKratzer

fuzzbox
11-16-2005, 09:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]

2 other reasons i like calling in this position. if this is a tight player, and he does have AA, there is a possibility you can bet him off the hand post-flop. even if this is a very very small possibility, it is infinitely larger than you getting him off of it pre-flop. secondly, if you feel like he is just going to push after any flop, you know you are going to take his stack if you spike your K. then again, i guess this will only apply if you consider call/folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its impossible to push AA off his hand postflop if the pot is 700 preflop, and he only has 650 left.

And I dont have odds to call to try to spike a K.