PDA

View Full Version : AQ, very early

11-16-2005, 03:02 AM
$5+1 on Partypoker. I pick up AQ. A million limpers. What is the correct play on the flop and preflop. Is it worth it to raise a bunch to drive the limpers out, or should I see a flop with AQ out of position. And then what to make of the flop re-raise?

***** Hand History for Game 3043528702 *****
15/30 Tourney Texas Hold'em Game Table (NL) (Tournament 17455160) - Wed Nov 16 01:56:19 EST 2005
Table Table 67268 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: underwebber (720)
Seat 2: robertkovacs (800)
Seat 3: fermentico (790)
Seat 4: Seafort (705)
Seat 5: FGators26 (785)
Seat 6: pau1iewog (825)
Seat 7: scardstud444 (800)
Seat 8: GambleManiac (720)
Seat 9: boxdan (1135)
Seat 10: Tripps (720)
FGators26 posts small blind (10)
pau1iewog posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to FGators26 [ Qs, Ac ]
scardstud444 calls (15)
GambleManiac folds.
boxdan folds.
Tripps calls (15)
underwebber folds.
robertkovacs calls (15)
fermentico folds.
Seafort calls (15)
FGators26 calls (5)
pau1iewog checks.
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 9d, 7s, Ah ]
FGators26 bets (100)
pau1iewog folds.
scardstud444 folds.
Tripps raises (200) to 200
robertkovacs folds.
Seafort folds.
FGators26 raises (670) to 770
FGators26 is all-In.
Tripps calls (505)
Tripps is all-In.
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 6h ]
** Dealing River ** : [ Ks ]

11-16-2005, 03:37 AM
Is this not worth it to get involved this early with a raise and just top pair. How many people raise the flop in this position and what is an appropriate figure?

HesseJam
11-16-2005, 03:57 AM
I think you played it fine. Those reraises are difficult to judge in 5+1s. I think you are good often enough here.

I do not know if raising would accomplish a lot at that buy-in level. If it thins the field successfully then you likely have only better hands against you in that spot. No?

11-16-2005, 04:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you played it fine. Those reraises are difficult to judge in 5+1s. I think you are good often enough here.

I do not know if raising would accomplish a lot at that buy-in level. If it thins the field successfully then you likely have only better hands against you in that spot. No?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing these and beating these but it seems like whenver I get a hand like this in the blinds (an AK, KQ suited, AQ) I raise it up and I still get 4 callers. Then a 8 4 3 flop occurs and people with Q 8 are re-raising someone with 34 suited and a whole mess breaks out.

I just can't see how I can play weakly with top pair, second best kicker when I think I can rule out AK.

HesseJam
11-16-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been playing these and beating these but it seems like whenver I get a hand like this in the blinds (an AK, KQ suited, AQ) I raise it up and I still get 4 callers. Then a 8 4 3 flop occurs and people with Q 8 are re-raising someone with 34 suited and a whole mess breaks out.

I just can't see how I can play weakly with top pair, second best kicker when I think I can rule out AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Makes sense to me.

raptor517
11-16-2005, 04:09 AM
i can guarantee open shoving AQo is +ev in the 5s. holla

Snarf
11-16-2005, 04:12 AM
I play the 5s on PS a lot. The 5s are so full of fish/new players who overvalue sooooo many hands. ...Its tough early w/unknown players. I.E. Is this a GOOD player? or your standardh $5 player? If its your standard $5 player you have the best hand WAY more often than you don't. To a GOOD player I might fold to the flop raise...or else call, check the turn and fold to a significant bet or an obvious value bet.

Judging from your tone you probably lost...to... I'm gonna guess A7. My second guess would be A9. A common $5 player on PS would almost never not raise with 77, plus why raise the SB in that spot with the set? String 'em along.

I'd expect to see your opponent with A9-AJ MOST of the time. Enough of the time to make this play VERY profitable in the long run - though you'll lose it sometimes for sure.

11-16-2005, 04:19 AM
He had A7 offsuit. I don't know how he plays but I may be going broke with this hand if I raise here. He could very well call me.

Do you guys like the preflop limp though? That's what started this whole mess.

davekngs
11-16-2005, 04:24 AM
by limping then taking top pair all the way you are just giving everyone a free shot at your whole stack. saying this you will catch a lot of people on weaker aces but I still think a largeish raise preflop is your best play. If you still get a load of callers and a bad flop you've got to check but against one or two you can lead out at it even if you miss

11-16-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
by limping then taking top pair all the way you are just giving everyone a free shot at your whole stack. saying this you will catch a lot of people on weaker aces but I still think a largeish raise preflop is your best play. If you still get a load of callers and a bad flop you've got to check but against one or two you can lead out at it even if you miss

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, maybe I should have raised. What is a big enough raise at the 10/15 level. 80? I know that seems high but these people will probably call a 60 raise with garbage.

11-16-2005, 04:47 AM
Personally, I limp along. And make the same flop bet, BUT after being re-raised, I fold. Yes I MAY kick myself when he turns over A2 or such junk, but I feel at the $5 level I can outplay my opponents later on and still comfortably finish in the money without having to take this risk.