PDA

View Full Version : Tournament Hand - Thoughts Wanted Please

CMangano
06-26-2003, 02:13 AM
Ok, I have started to play some tournaments online, and have yet to finish in the money in 3 tries. All have been limit hold'em tournaments. Tonight, I finished 6th with 5th place being the first payout (ouch!).

The buy-in was 20+2 with 121 going to 5th place. I came into the final table 3rd lowest in chips. Heading into this hand I have the shortest stack and the blinds are 1000/500 (limits are 1000/2000). I have just over 3000, the next shortest stack has over 6000, everyone else has 10K+. I had just won with KK to stay alive, and then UTG this happens:

I am dealt 77. I figure if I fold this hand and I get rags in the blinds, I will have my stack cut in half. I feel that my only options are to fold or raise, so I raise. The chip leader calls, everyone else folds. Flop comes:

K x A. I figure there is no way this guy can call a PFR if he doesn't have an A. I bet leaving me with about 400 and the chip leader raises. 400 is only going to give me enough to see the next hand and pray it is good, so I decide to call here. He turns over KJ and I don't get my 7.

My question is, knowing that I just need to survive until 1 more player goes out to finish in the money, was raising with 77 in this position better than folding?

Thanks.

DaNoob
06-26-2003, 09:55 AM
77 is probably the best hand you're going to see before the blinds take away the rest of your stack. If someone calls you (like the chip leader did) you're a money favorite to win unless they have an overpair. Your raise might also buy you the blinds, which would help your longevity.

Although you are on the bubble, and conservative play rules supreme, you have to remember that the other short stacks are looking at you and thinking the same thing.... "if I can only outlast THAT guy".

IMHO, you did the right thing.

FWIW, I'd try No Limit if you continue to have problems with limit tourneys. In that same situation, you raise all-in, and the chip leader is much less likely to call you with KJo. Just a thought.

fnurt
06-26-2003, 10:43 AM
I would have done exactly what you did.