PDA

View Full Version : Hoosiers

Rushmore
11-16-2005, 12:31 AM
Sure, movie posts have been done to death, but so what?

Damn, Hoosiers is a great movie.

At the end:

Jimmy: "I'll make it."

Great movie, on all fronts.

Dynasty
11-16-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Sure, movie posts have been done to death, but so what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Movie threads are good- but only if you have something to say when you start the thread. You didn't have anything to say.

Rushmore
11-16-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Movie threads are good- but only if you have something to say when you start the thread. You didn't have anything to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's funny, I didn't know the moderators were here to comment on posting style. I thought they were here to protect us from ourselves, like the hall monitors in grade school.

Just for the record, I said it was a great movie, and I was simply attempting to see if some of the other posters here at 2+2, none of whom have really ever expressed any great dissatisfaction with anything I have ever posted, had anything to say about my (admittedly brief) commentary.

I'm sorry if you have gotten totally carried away with yourself. Please either PM or sticky a guideline on exactly how I should act and what I should say. I need your guidance.

jesusarenque
11-16-2005, 12:44 AM
http://www.addedsugar.com/logo-identity-design/snap-inc/logo-design-snap-inc.jpg

astroglide
11-16-2005, 12:44 AM
he didn't lock or delete the thread, dude. just because he's a moderator it doesn't mean that he can't speak frankly.

Dynasty
11-16-2005, 12:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
he didn't lock or delete the thread, dude. just because he's a moderator it doesn't mean that he can't speak frankly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get ready for it to come your way. You can barely make a joke anymore without somebody saying "moderators shouldn't do that".

Rushmore
11-16-2005, 12:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, but my point was simply that I did not feel that a post about when the first time I wanked it or whether Jessica Beil or Jessica Alba was hotter than Alize was necessary at the moment.

I just figured that a moderator, of all people, should want to let useless posts die, and not to add to their uselessness by perpetuating them. This is the very definition of irony.

It would appear that I have made a miscalculation as regards the possible value of discussing the film Hoosiers. I apologize for this infraction, and now return myself to other, more valuable endeavors.

pryor15
11-16-2005, 01:42 AM
http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_movie/hoosiers.JPG

Best. Basketball Movie. Ever.

Phoenix1010
11-16-2005, 01:46 AM
I'll rent it tomorrow.

ChipWrecked
11-16-2005, 03:22 AM
The book about the actual Milan Indians, 'The Greatest Basketball Story Ever Told', is also good.

The new DVD release has the tape of the real game in the extras section.

The team didn't do so well the next season, 'cause they ran into a high school with a player name of Oscar Robertson.

VBM
11-16-2005, 03:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
first time I wanked it

[/ QUOTE ]
i was probably like, 13 and it was to some gal in a negligee on Knots Landing.

[ QUOTE ]
or whether Jessica Beil or Jessica Alba was hotter than Alize

[/ QUOTE ]
IMO, both are hotter than Alize. Jessica Biel's body is so ridiculous it could've been carved out of marble. Jessica Alba in Sin City really did something for me. In D&D-terms, i think a girl's dancing skill can add like, +2 or +3 to hotness. To be fair, Alize is probably a better dancer, but IMO, JA is hotter to begin w/.

[ QUOTE ]
It would appear that I have made a miscalculation as regards the possible value of discussing the film Hoosiers. I apologize for this infraction, and now return myself to other, more valuable endeavors.

[/ QUOTE ]
Come on man, don't do the "i'll take my ball and go home"-thing. I really like reading your posts. They're articulate and well-informed and esp. w/ movies, you generally have insightful things to say.

slickpoppa
11-16-2005, 03:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.nostalgiacentral.com/images_movie/hoosiers.JPG

Best. Basketball Movie. Ever.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll go out on a limb and say it is the best sports movie ever.

Publos Nemesis
11-16-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I vote for Victory!

Rushmore
11-16-2005, 08:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The book about the actual Milan Indians, 'The Greatest Basketball Story Ever Told', is also good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definitely read this book. I'm looking forward to it.

ChipWrecked
11-16-2005, 08:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I will definitely read this book. I'm looking forward to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing is it's now a little dated;

(possible spoiler coming)

as Indiana has gone to state tournaments by class since it was written. Whether that will ever happen is a big theme in the book.

Rushmore
11-16-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's no "Lovebugs," but it'll do.

Gene Hackman actually seemed like he knew something about basketball.

Which is one of the reasons Tin Cup was such a good movie, I thought.

No, not the fact that Gene Hackman knows a little something about basketball. That wouldn't matter much when it comes to Tin Cup.

Uh...

Rushmore
11-16-2005, 09:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Come on man, don't do the "i'll take my ball and go home"-thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you're right. I was deeply affected by the many delicious Flying Fish Dubbels I had consumed. I am not ordinarily such a complete bitch.

Guess I'll switch back to Guinness and Jameson, which merely make me homicidal, whcih is clearly preferable.

That Hoosiers sure was a great movie though, huh?

Rushmore
11-16-2005, 09:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The only thing is it's now a little dated;

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, a slight blemish.

One other, minor imperfection: the awful electronic drum/synthesizer soundtrack in the second half of the film is annoying and bad.

diebitter
11-16-2005, 09:06 AM
Not seen this one. Will try and catch it sometime. I always get intrigued whenever I hear a film is 'the best ------ movie ever made'

ChipWrecked
11-16-2005, 09:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not seen this one. Will try and catch it sometime. I always get intrigued whenever I hear a film is 'the best ------ movie ever made'

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude! A film nut like you? 'Will try and catch it' simply will not do. You must see this one. One of Dennis Hopper's finest performances.

diebitter
11-16-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Dude! A film nut like you? 'Will try and catch it' simply will not do. You must see this one. One of Dennis Hopper's finest performances.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying.

I have to fit in 12 hours of working/commuting, 2 hours of looking after/putting to bed the kids, 7 hours of TV, 3 hours of the unmentionable game, and at least 30 minutes of staring into space every day.

Sometimes sleep wins out over movies in the time left, is all I'm saying.

PS. Better than Frank in Blue Velvet???

ChipWrecked
11-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Good question, and that is the only better one I can think of; thus the 'one of' statement. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rushmore
11-16-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
PS. Better than Frank in Blue Velvet???

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as I really enjoyed Hoosiers, it should be noted that this question could never be anything other than rhetorical.

"Oh. He's a neighbor. He's from the neighborhood."

Brrrr.

Runner Runner
11-16-2005, 10:25 AM
I have probably seen Hoosiers 30 times. This movie helped spawn my interest in basketball as a kid. As I got older, I grew to appreciate the realism of the game scenes and how they were probably very much like the high school basketball games of that time.

This may sound cheesy, but as a high school basketball coach, I would have the team watch hoosiers before a big tournament. This movie proved to be a great motivator.

Hoosiers and Friday Night Lights are my favorite sports movies, and the realism of the game scenes has a lot to do with it.

"Buddy, 30 is killing us, he's just killing us. Stick with him! Think of him as chewing gum, by the end of the game I want to know what flavor he is."

Bulldog
11-16-2005, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"Buddy, 30 is killing us, he's just killing us. Stick with him! Think of him as chewing gum, by the end of the game I want to know what flavor he is."

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL

Just because it is in wikipedia doesn't mean it is accurate.

CrazyEyez
11-16-2005, 11:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

At the end:

Jimmy: "I'll make it."

[/ QUOTE ]
I like that they didn't get lame and use Jimmy as a decoy. Jimmy was the Man. They gave the Man the ball. The Man made the shot. It was very Bird-like.

ChipWrecked
11-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Having gone to a HS very much like this (our 'main building' and gym looked almost identical, and this was in the early '80s), too small for football so basketball rules, I can vouch for the accuracy of the movie. Nosy parents, town in uproar over the coach, and so on. Best roundball movie ever.