PDA

View Full Version : I need a job / Place to stay

tomdemaine
11-15-2005, 11:37 PM
This is probably the dumbest thing I've posted in a while, but why not use all methods of searching available. I'm a UK student who is looking to come to America when I graduate next year to work and travel. I'm not sure whether to set it up through a pre-existing scheme (like BUNAC) or just get my papers and go. This post is a testing ground for the second option. I've no real plan of action but I'm thinking I'll stick to the major cities where hostels and internet access will be easier to find, (I hope to play a certain online games with cards or somesuch for extra cash) but I'd like to experience the other aspects of America too. Has anyone here done it? Any advice planning etc. or is anyone here looking for a roomate/employee for a month.

I posted here because this forum is my major contact with american folk and I think that a lot of the people here would be cool to hang out with, young, know how to have a good time etc.

So advice info ofers would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks

TheMainEvent
11-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I don't have much help for you but you should know that there aren't nearly as many hostels as in europe and canada and in general it's more difficult to travel cheap here. Just don't want you to have the wrong idea.

tomdemaine
11-15-2005, 11:46 PM
Really? OK thanks. I travelled around Europe for a year on an inter-rail card a couple of years ago and had no trouble finding places to stay cheap without planning ahead. Is it mearly harder to find or impossible to find? I'm thinking I may be better off hiring/buying a cheap trailer house thing then I wouldn't be limited to the big cities and things would definatly be cheaper. Like I say I'm still unsure and trying to think these things through.

fnord_too
11-16-2005, 12:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Really? OK thanks. I travelled around Europe for a year on an inter-rail card a couple of years ago and had no trouble finding places to stay cheap without planning ahead. Is it mearly harder to find or impossible to find? I'm thinking I may be better off hiring/buying a cheap trailer house thing then I wouldn't be limited to the big cities and things would definatly be cheaper. Like I say I'm still unsure and trying to think these things through.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, some more bad news for you: No decent cheap inter-city public transportation either. A lot of big cities have decent public transportation within the city, or so I have heard. Most mid size cities in my experience do not. Basically, when it comes to facilitating cheap "see the country" travel, we suck. The best way to go is probably to get some camping gear and a cheap car. I think motor homes are pretty expensive, but I could be wrong. (A friend of mine bought a used one he tows behind his SUV for going to races several times a year. I think he paid 20K for the thing.)

When I was younger, friends couches were a fine substitute for hostels, but if you don't know a lot of people over here, you are hosed there, too.

Edit - hmmm, we do have YMCA's here, but I really couldn't tell you how nice that option is.

housenuts
11-16-2005, 12:32 AM
you can stay at my house if you perform fellatio on me

drewjustdrew
11-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Just so we are on the same terms of what "cheap" is for a hotel, in most areas of the country outside the largest cities: NY, LA, Chicago, etc, you can expect to pay $30-$50 a night for meager accomodations, and over $50 for a chain like red roof inn. From my knowledge of Europe (see National Lampoon's European Vacation), these are all a step up from what you are used to. You do the currency translation.

I can't comment on Greyhound buses (from city-to-city) as far as prices, but I think they are your cheapest route. The country is so big though that it can take a couple or 3 days to get from one end to the other. Most trips can take a half to a whole day. Trains connect major cities as well, but they are not that cheap.

benza13
11-16-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I can't comment on Greyhound buses (from city-to-city) as far as prices, but I think they are your cheapest route. The country is so big though that it can take a couple or 3 days to get from one end to the other. Most trips can take a half to a whole day. Trains connect major cities as well, but they are not that cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither Greyhound or trains are very cheap in America, unless you happen to catch deals on Greyhound. But then you also have to deal with taking a bus places, which is just brutal on long trips. Unfortunately, visiting America most often means visiting one (or a couple) states, unless you have the money to fly to other areas. On the East Coast, state to state transport is a little easier, but its cuz the states are geographically smaller.

MyTurn2Raise
11-16-2005, 05:33 AM
I did a 10 month tour doing unmentionable at Brick and mortar. Used a car, plane, and train. Car is definitely a good option if you could lease one.

Suggestions based on what I did:

1) Make sure to hit New Orleans during Mardi Gras (look up the date at mardigras.com). That was the best time of my entire trip.

2) Did Tunica/Memphis in January when the big tourneys were in town. Nothing special there, but you'll understand what 'Middle America' is about.

3) Atlantic City came in early summer. Who wants to be on the Jersey shore when it's cold? Saw a few of the NorthEast cities--easy train rides.

4) Vegas during the WSOP. Came back to Vegas a few more times. Town is fun. Plenty of long-stay hotel/motel options.

5) I hit Phoenix area in late August to party during Arizona State's move-in.

6) If you like snowboarding, I hit up the Rockies after Mardi Gras time (not any B&M there, but many hotels do offer internet).

7) Southern Cali is an interesting place altogether with lots of good poker and a warmer climate for those frigid winter months.

8) I never made it to the Pacific Northwest and sincerely regret it.

9) I live in Illinois, so I was in St. Louis for the end of the baseball season (late September/October). Probably, not interesting to someone across the pond.

10) Chicago has poker in the NW Indiana area (not exactly a nice place) and a decent public transportation system if you are within 40 miles of the city.

***I will most likely be in Vegas for the WSOP and New Orleans for Mardi Gras again****

housenuts
11-16-2005, 06:03 AM
can u go into more detail about your trip? that sounds awesome.

where did you stay? did you have alot saved up for it already or were you making money at the poker tables to make your way around? what levels do you play? i might venture on something like this in the near future

MyTurn2Raise
11-16-2005, 06:37 AM
I did it alone. Was sick of my PhD program and just took off one weekend. Had about 6,500 saved up. Played 10/20 to 20/40. Stayed at everything from shady motels to 5* hotels to friends' couches. Traveled until I busted about 9 months total travel time. Too many vices and paying rent/utilities back at home was too much for the wallet. Maybe, I wasn't as good at the card games as I thought. Oh well, I've rebuilt and am debating what to do next.

RunDownHouse
11-16-2005, 10:32 AM
I've worked in several different places that employed large numbers of Europeans for the summer. A lot of the time they had plans to try and travel some after their jobs were up. By far the best plans were those that were based on buying a cheap used car. Like others have said, good public transportation is basically non-existant in many cities in the US, and there really aren't any economical train passes to travel from state to state like there are in Europe.

I'm sure you could get a lot of more useful advice if you included more details about your trip.

The once and future king
11-16-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
1) Make sure to hit New Orleans during Mardi Gras (look up the date at mardigras.com). That was the best time of my entire trip.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, maybe some recent bad weather may have impacted on the fun factor of this event.

turnipmonster
11-16-2005, 11:16 AM
hey man, I recently got back from a 6 week road trip driving around the US. a few things:

motor homes/rvs are expensive (>20k), cost lots in gas and are slow and hard to manuever. I looked into this and decided the cost way outweighs the benefits for a 2-6 month trip. in addition to this they are a huge pain to drive in many cities.

In my opinion your best bet is to get a cheap car, some camping gear, and plan on camping some nights and staying in motels some nights. a lot of the amazing things to see in the US are in national/state parks, most parks have many campsites for $12-15/night. in the winter months budget an additional $10 for firewood.

motels in and around most cities are pretty cheap, but after taxes and everthing plan on $35-50/night.

sites we went to that I recommend:
badlands national park
grand canyon
oregon coast
redwood forest (CA)
ozark mountains

of course you should go to nyc, boston, chicago (great town!), sf, la, vegas, etc.

--turnipmonster

tonypaladino
11-16-2005, 11:52 AM
Hostels are not very prevelent here. I know of two in New York City, and both are not considered very safe to stay at. Internet Cafes are also not found very much here, so for internet access your best bet is to get a laptop and try to find as many free wi-fi spots as you can, or just pay for it in Starbucks.

As other posters said, the US lacks good inter-city transportation. There is a rail system (Amtrack) but it is generally more expensive or almost as expensive as flying. If you want to roam around by bus and will be moving around a lot, Greyhound offers weekly, montly and 60 day passes that you can use to travel anywhere in the US and Canada, here. (http://www.discoverypass.com/products.asp)

If you're just going to hit major cities you might be better off flying, as you can \get fares for around $100 cross country if you buy the tickets in advance and fly off-peak. Some low cost arlines are Jetblue, Southwest (these two are usually the cheapest and considered my most to be the best for flying domestically), AriTran, Frontier, and Spirit.

You're absolute best bet IMO, is to buy a cheap car. Car is the best way to travel between cities and when you go to major cities you will be able to stay at inexpensive motels outside the city.

Georgia Avenue
11-16-2005, 12:48 PM
About hostels: Not true. I've been in many and they are plentiful, cheap and friendly. There are several "Hostelling in Amerika" books that are sweet, and necessary since hostels don't show up on expedia. The ones in new york city are meh, but then ny is meh in general... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

My advice about traveling over here in general: Big huge cities are boring, full of other tourists, locals who hate tourists, and people from NJ. The south is mostly unpleasent (though awesomely so in some cases, c.f. Nashville). The northeast is cold. MW, Plains, SW, NW, most of cali=Niceness. Remember the rule about hitchhiking: Ass, Gas or Grass---> Nobody rides for free!