PDA

View Full Version : This AQ 6max hand left me dazed and confused

BatsShadow
11-15-2005, 11:24 PM
This was within an orbit or so of sitting. The only read I have (which you can see from the hand) is that the table is frickin' loose. I mostly felt lost throughout this whole hand.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx (http://www.zerodivide.cx/converter)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB 3-bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Since I never got reraised, I'm thinking I'm obviously ahead here...Until I get 3-bet.

Turn: (12.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Why in the ??? would he 3-bet the flop then check the turn? This confused me into betting. Looking back, this is the part of the hand I like the least.

River: (17.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 21.50 BB

I have to overcall here, right?

Sightless
11-15-2005, 11:27 PM
bet on the turn is FiNe IMO, depending on the opponent you might want to cap the flop, and I raise the river with top 2 pair.

Fun = fine

damn beer

11-15-2005, 11:27 PM
He is a stupid guy with a flush. Now I would cap that flop to maybe fold out CO. Then when you lead the turn and get CR by sb I think you can lay it down since it would be pretty obvious that he had the flush then.

istewart
11-15-2005, 11:28 PM
I'd probably go ahead and cap the flop.

Folding the river would be terrible. I would raise.

11-15-2005, 11:33 PM
is it at all possible that he had a set (or 2p) on the flop and 3bet to try to push flush draws out.

then the flush draw hits on the turn and he gets scared, so checks for information to see who is gonna come to life and whether he can call with his 10 outs. he has you on AK/AQ for sure, but he calls to see if BB is checkraising.

when noone else wakes up he knows his set/2P is good so comes out firing on the river?

i really think your hearing from anyone with a flush or wheel on that turn.... as did SB. that said i think his river bet indicates strength.

with the other players in you should probably value raise the river and hope to be shown A9 or A4 from SB

BatsShadow
11-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Someone else said raise the river as well. I'm no longer worried about SB at that point, but the thing that stopped me from raising was BB and Button calling the whole time. I was about certain one of them had a low flush. I guess that doesn't make sense though since neither raised the turn.

BatsShadow
11-15-2005, 11:38 PM
More calls for a raise. That's interesting because the thought really never crossed my mind.

I'm just starting to dabble in 2/4 and I hear that the more you move up, the more important value raises are. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Sightless
11-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Eskimo, I really dont see what the villain acomplishes by check calling the turn and donking the river if he has a two pair or a set on the flop . I think he would c/r the turn if he had a set or 2pair sicne he is second to last to act on the turn. i thik The hero shouldn't worry about the Sb on the River

shadow29
11-15-2005, 11:42 PM
If you're playing 6max, you must cap that flop.

(Barring special reads --&gt; special circumstances.)

11-15-2005, 11:43 PM
i think the problem there is your assuming SB has a level of poker knowledge equivalent to your own

McGahee
11-15-2005, 11:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why in the ??? would he 3-bet the flop then check the turn? This confused me into betting. Looking back, this is the part of the hand I like the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he's afraid of a flush with A4/A9? Raise the river.

Sightless
11-15-2005, 11:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think the problem there is your assuming SB has a level of poker knowledge equivalent to your own

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you are trying to give rationalization and meaning to his play not me.

DMBFan23
11-15-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He is a stupid guy with a flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

this was my first thought too

11-15-2005, 11:48 PM
Cap the flop, although you're probably not going to fold CO or Button's weak aces.

The turn check probably means SB doesn't have a flush, and with no raise after your bet, he's probably feeling better about his two pair/set, therefore the river bet.

I'm torn on the river - given the turn action we have an good chance with the Q falling, but I'm kinda weirded out by all those callers. Probably no flushes or wheels but there's probably a set of 9s or 4s out there. A raise might even fold 44...nahhh.

11-16-2005, 12:57 AM
heh....

im suggesting that there is a chance that he made this play because he is a typical 'glass half empty' player you will find at this level. he is likely more concerned with conflict avoidance than value betting.

what i meant was.... sure most 2+2ers would lead the turn, and slow down ONLY if it was raised back at them because they would then fear the flush.

but a lot of players at this level will simply 'check for information' on this turn, waiting to see if you get checkraised by any other player. no raise comes and so his flopped set/2P is safe to bet out on the river.

im just making a suggestion as to how we could include such hands in vils range based on such a random betting pattern